• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2021 6:26 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1194 posts
399 upvotes

Dealing with Arthritis in Toe

I'm in my late 40s and have had pain in my toe and tenderness in my foot for a while. Xrays showed arthritis in the toe and my doctor thinks nothing can be done other than using Tylenol arthritis. Any thoughts like are there vitamins i can take to prevent this occurring at other joints? I read online about Vitamin K.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19471 posts
17178 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Just be aware that Gout often presents like Arthritis too
(Actually it’s often defined as a form of Arthritis)
And toes is one of its major points of flare ups
Esp for first time attacks

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20372897

Gout can be a sign of other developing / ongoing health issues … like Kidney Stones
So you really might want to get fully checked out
Or look for a second opinion if the Doc you saw (say at a Clinic) isn’t your own GP
Feb 1, 2019
251 posts
80 upvotes
...what your doctor said nothing can be done?!! Sure maybe for him but he can referred you to Rheumatologist or do more blood work or lab tests. It's hereditary from mom's side of family, when I was in grade 5 elementary my mom took me to doctor's office 3x/wk for steroid shots in both hands. I had excess fluid swells up on outer & inner palm joints, once I bent my fingers (eat w/spoon) can't straighten fingers stays swollen until next injection. I asked my GP if I break my joints will arthritis go away...lol.

Do you have health care coverage? Try alternative medicine (Chinese herbalist or Naturopathic doctor or Functional Doctor) I've been taking *Thorne Research Meriva 500-SF" I ordered from my LLND in US, Canada version is *Thorne Research Meriva-SF* dosage isn't as strong. It's a Professional Pharmaceutical grade - sustained release liposomal curcumin (google Throne Research). It's pricey compare to over-counter brands, etc I tried Terry Naturally Curamed than local health supplement store introduced me to Living Alchemy Turmeric Alive 60- much more affordable. Finally I switched to Thorne and really noticed difference if the product works and change diet, started taking Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil but Kirkland Omega-3 will help.

There's tons of health supplement stores in ON you can buy these products or organic grocery store. Personally i think with any illness, is to eat healthy diet, exercise and try to avoid taking too much Tylenol. Alternative medicine world they treat the whole body balanced vs GP treats each problem w/medications might create future health risks.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1648 posts
473 upvotes
I had a similar problem, started with one toe, then another, then one of the fingers on my dominant hand swelled up for no reason. Turned out I had psoriatic arthritis (had mild scalp psoriasis for years). Single digit swelling like that is a common early sign (regular arthritis is usually knees/hips first and symmetrical - ie. happens the same on both sides of your body)

I had a few doctors tell me to just take tylenol and they "cant do anything", that's bullshit, they are just being lazy.

You need to be referred to a rheumatologist, there are a variety of medications that can help settle down various forms of arthritis.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7189 posts
3342 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Is the pain at the base of the big toe?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7189 posts
3342 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
o.k. so not got, at least it doesn't present in the same place as when I get it. Another question, are you stuffing your feet into (tight) shoes than don't quite fit them?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2295 posts
257 upvotes
Can anyone recommend a Rheumatologist in the GTA that's accepting appts before 2022? My mom was referred to one but the next earliest appt is March 2022.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1194 posts
399 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: o.k. so not got, at least it doesn't present in the same place as when I get it. Another question, are you stuffing your feet into (tight) shoes than don't quite fit them?
Perhaps. Saw a podiatrist too and he feels my right leg is longer that is putting pressure on my back (back xray also showed spurring). And the pressure on back may be manifesting into issues in the toe. He gave some insoles now and that seems to have helped.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4562 posts
3220 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: I'm in my late 40s and have had pain in my toe and tenderness in my foot for a while. Xrays showed arthritis in the toe and my doctor thinks nothing can be done other than using Tylenol arthritis. Any thoughts like are there vitamins i can take to prevent this occurring at other joints? I read online about Vitamin K.
You may want to try any diet changes required to possibly relieve any pain and discomfort. Some foods can cause inflammation in the body, while others may be anti-inflammatory. We're all different, so you may have to experiment to see what works for you.

You might want to start with advice from the Mayo Clinic.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/disc ... with-food/