Dealing with Hyundai Canada - HORROR STORY

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2020 9:41 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
16 posts
66 upvotes

Dealing with Hyundai Canada - HORROR STORY

It is not my style to do this but my experience with Hyundai Canada has been so horrible that it needs to be shared.

I purchased a brand new Tucson 1.6T in November 2017.

Since then the car has been in the shop to get the engine repaired 4 times (at 5,000 km, 8,000 km, 17,000 km and 23,000 km). The issue is that the car cannot accelerate anywhere near the level it is supposed to. (think about a 0-60 of ~20 seconds)

Each time that I entered the dealership I explain that this is unacceptable for a new vehicle. I get the same old “don’t worry we’ve found the cause and it shouldn’t happen again”.

But then it’s happened again! This time at 24,000 km. Same issue. Same result.

So silly me contacts Hyundai Canada so say listen, you clearly sold me a dud, let’s talk about a way to fix this situation. Their response: we only service the warranty. Bring it in and we’ll fix it while under the warranty period.

So let's get this straight: Basically Hyundai Canada’s stance is that I, the owner of a brand new car, should accept that I will have to return to dealership every ~5,000 km to get an integral engine component fixed, each time taking 1 to 2 weeks to order the same part and do the same duct-tape style repair.

I decide that enough is enough. I've been too patient. . The car has a defect! To an engine component! And it’s plain to see that another repair won’t fix this. The folks at the dealership know it won’t work. Hyundai Canada likely knows this is hopeless as well. Even the car with its engine light on knows that the situation is dire.

Silly me again thinks that maybe if I talk to the dealership there will be some adults who understand the obligations you have to consumers for selling a defective product. We get to dealing and we have a decent solution: they’ll put me in a new car, buy my defective car off me at market value and have Hyundai compensate the difference between the balance owing and market value. This solution was OK to me. It put me in a situation that was no better nor worse than I had been had I bought a non-defective vehicle in the first place. The dealership was happy too, they could keep a customer with whom they have a good relationship.

They ask Hyundai Canada. They refuse. I’m am then out of options to deal with this amicably.

My only solution is to pursue arbitration, and Hyundai is ruthless throughout this process. This process is still ongoing but I no good-faith efforts from Hyundai Canada. They’ve dragged out this process by pursuing any avenue that delays the arbitration hearing date. The kicker: they even lied to the arbitrator, in writing, that they had no knowledge of the issues. Really? We’ve talked about this at length, repeatedly, each time it's happened.

WHAT KIND OF COMPANY IS THIS? What kind of company would blatantly lie, in writing, about something that is easily verifiable as false in a quasi-legal setting? What kind of company would rather fight a consumer in an effort to stick them with a defective product that they themselves manufactured? Clearly it’s a company that does not care once the sale is made. They’d rather fight you than admit their mistake and do what is right for an innocent customer.

Needless to say my experience has been extremely time-consuming, frustrating and quite frankly I feel extremely disrespected. I hope that this ordeal is settled soon.

I hope that my story helps my fellow Canadians make an informed decision when purchasing a new car. You don’t truly know the culture of the company you’re dealing with until thing go wrong. In this case, Hyundai Canada can plainly see that they sold me a lemon but when it comes to fixing the situation they tell me I am on my own.

Happy to answer any questions. Not sure how my situation will be resolved, but I want others to be knowledgeable of my experience when making a car purchase.
117 replies
Oct 18, 2005
422 posts
171 upvotes
AlexC89414 wrote: It is not my style to do this but my experience with Hyundai Canada has been so horrible that it needs to be shared.

I purchased a brand new Tucson 1.6T in November 2017.

Since then the car has been in the shop to get the engine repaired 4 times (at 5,000 km, 8,000 km, 17,000 km and 23,000 km). The issue is that the car cannot accelerate anywhere near the level it is supposed to. (think about a 0-60 of ~20 seconds)

Each time that I entered the dealership I explain that this is unacceptable for a new vehicle. I get the same old “don’t worry we’ve found the cause and it shouldn’t happen again”.

But then it’s happened again! This time at 24,000 km. Same issue. Same result.

So silly me contacts Hyundai Canada so say listen, you clearly sold me a dud, let’s talk about a way to fix this situation. Their response: we only service the warranty. Bring it in and we’ll fix it while under the warranty period.

So let's get this straight: Basically Hyundai Canada’s stance is that I, the owner of a brand new car, should accept that I will have to return to dealership every ~5,000 km to get an integral engine component fixed, each time taking 1 to 2 weeks to order the same part and do the same duct-tape style repair.

I decide that enough is enough. I've been too patient. . The car has a defect! To an engine component! And it’s plain to see that another repair won’t fix this. The folks at the dealership know it won’t work. Hyundai Canada likely knows this is hopeless as well. Even the car with its engine light on knows that the situation is dire.

Silly me again thinks that maybe if I talk to the dealership there will be some adults who understand the obligations you have to consumers for selling a defective product. We get to dealing and we have a decent solution: they’ll put me in a new car, buy my defective car off me at market value and have Hyundai compensate the difference between the balance owing and market value. This solution was OK to me. It put me in a situation that was no better nor worse than I had been had I bought a non-defective vehicle in the first place. The dealership was happy too, they could keep a customer with whom they have a good relationship.

They ask Hyundai Canada. They refuse. I’m am then out of options to deal with this amicably.

My only solution is to pursue arbitration, and Hyundai is ruthless throughout this process. This process is still ongoing but I no good-faith efforts from Hyundai Canada. They’ve dragged out this process by pursuing any avenue that delays the arbitration hearing date. The kicker: they even lied to the arbitrator, in writing, that they had no knowledge of the issues. Really? We’ve talked about this at length, repeatedly, each time it's happened.

WHAT KIND OF COMPANY IS THIS? What kind of company would blatantly lie, in writing, about something that is easily verifiable as false in a quasi-legal setting? What kind of company would rather fight a consumer in an effort to stick them with a defective product that they themselves manufactured? Clearly it’s a company that does not care once the sale is made. They’d rather fight you than admit their mistake and do what is right for an innocent customer.

Needless to say my experience has been extremely time-consuming, frustrating and quite frankly I feel extremely disrespected. I hope that this ordeal is settled soon.

I hope that my story helps my fellow Canadians make an informed decision when purchasing a new car. You don’t truly know the culture of the company you’re dealing with until thing go wrong. In this case, Hyundai Canada can plainly see that they sold me a lemon but when it comes to fixing the situation they tell me I am on my own.

Happy to answer any questions. Not sure how my situation will be resolved, but I want others to be knowledgeable of my experience when making a car purchase.
At this point I would take your issue to the media (CTV or Global).
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2011
1122 posts
1164 upvotes
Pearson
Hah, so the common consensus is that Hyundai/Kia North America is great with whack dealerships, but your experience seems to be the opposite.

I'm sorry about your issues and I hope they come through. Reading stories like these is the reason why we need Lemon law's here, especially now that cars are getting even more complicating.
Sep 25, 2015
572 posts
1224 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Report this as a safety defect to Transport Canada
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry OP, pretty crappy. I remember a story about this honda civic that was a full blown death trap and was getting the same run arounds. So the common consensus is that Honda is super reliability but in fact they are not.

Point being, this can happen to any vehicle and more consumer protection is required. This sort of thing also happens where they are lemon laws and the only option for the buyer is to allow the dealership to buy the vehicle back at market value and get into something else. Please keep the thread up to date since you are involved in a law suit.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
16 posts
66 upvotes
koffey wrote: Sorry OP, pretty crappy. I remember a story about this honda civic that was a full blown death trap and was getting the same run arounds. So the common consensus is that Honda is super reliability but in fact they are not.

Point being, this can happen to any vehicle and more consumer protection is required. This sort of thing also happens where they are lemon laws and the only option for the buyer is to allow the dealership to buy the vehicle back at market value and get into something else. Please keep the thread up to date since you are involved in a law suit.
Thanks. I will post as things develop.

Get your point on how this can happen to any vehicle. The fact is that if you make a large number of vehicles there will be the occasion lemon. Doesn't matter how good your quality control is. My issue, and what makes me particularly irate about Hyundai Canada is that they don't just look at the body of evidence and say "hey, this isn't right, let's fix this and show that we stand behind our products". Instead I'm in this situation posting on RFD!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38211 posts
24391 upvotes
Center of Universe
No different than the manufacturers allowing customers to drive a death trap, aka takata projectile airbag while waiting for parts.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
16 posts
66 upvotes
booblehead wrote: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/ ... esult&pg=0

not sure this is something yours can be associated/related to
Thanks for sharing! I haven't had issues with that. The car reacts instantly but it's a lame pace of acceleration. My understanding is that the system that tells the turbo to kick in fails to do so. The car is supposed to have a HP of 176, but a 1.6L engine without the turbo kicking in isn;t nearly as powerful
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: No different than the manufacturers allowing customers to drive a death trap, aka takata projectile airbag while waiting for parts.
Pretty much

Take it public OP! Post it on Reddit, send it off to CBC, send it off to your local newspaper etc
Sep 25, 2018
949 posts
1892 upvotes
AlexC89414 wrote: My issue, and what makes me particularly irate about Hyundai Canada is that they don't just look at the body of evidence and say "hey, this isn't right, let's fix this and show that we stand behind our products".
Why would they? They sold you a car, made a few grands from you, and they are happy now. Your satisfaction is not their concern, cause who knows what car you'll buy next.

Sorry to hear your experience. I think at this point your chance of getting any remedy is slim. You'd just have to eat the difference between new car cost and fair market value.

Get it on as much media as you can, it may increase your chance of remedy.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15088 upvotes
GTA, ON
I'm sorry to hear this. Don't expect too much from manufacturers to admit fault or accept any responsibility. It took a class-action lawsuit against Hyundai&KIA USA/Canada just to get them to admit that they lied about their fuel economy numbers and have them take responsibility.

I'm still waiting for my next fuel rebate card, and my 2.4L Tucson still gets bad mileage. Some days I'm overly frustrated by how much gas it eats and if I could turn back time, I would have bought another car.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
16 posts
66 upvotes
CanKon wrote: Hah, so the common consensus is that Hyundai/Kia North America is great with whack dealerships, but your experience seems to be the opposite.

I'm sorry about your issues and I hope they come through. Reading stories like these is the reason why we need Lemon law's here, especially now that cars are getting even more complicating.
Full agree about lemon laws. It is very sad that such basic consumer protection is not available in Canada
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3832 posts
1095 upvotes
GTA
Really, I don't understand why cars are exception to return/exchange policy we have on all other consumer products, especially when they are the biggest price tag for most people.
We buy a phone, a computer, a fridge, a sofa, if it has a problem within the first XX days, we can always return or exchange to some other unit.
Why can't we do that for cars? It's just silly that we have that kind of protection for anything under $10K, but for cars we buy and it's on our own.
Feb 8, 2010
595 posts
506 upvotes
AlexC89414 wrote: It is not my style to do this but my experience with Hyundai Canada has been so horrible that it needs to be shared.
Take your story to youtube. Film it and send to journalists and youtubers, they love this kind of story. Hyundai will come back to beg you.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
16 posts
66 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: Why would they? They sold you a car, made a few grands from you, and they are happy now. Your satisfaction is not their concern, cause who knows what car you'll buy next.

Sorry to hear your experience. I think at this point your chance of getting any remedy is slim. You'd just have to eat the difference between new car cost and fair market value.

Get it on as much media as you can, it may increase your chance of remedy.
Thanks. I'm still holding on to hope that this can be resolved but I do accept that there's a more than likely chance I continue to get screwed on this. My hope is simply to share my experience and people can decide for themselves if they wish to give this company their business.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
16 posts
66 upvotes
billy_z wrote: Take your story to youtube. Film it and send to journalists and youtubers, they love this kind of story. Hyundai will come back to beg you.
Thanks Billy. That's a great idea. I feel embarrassed that as a millennial I never thought of this.

Is there a youtuber that you would recommend for this kind of thing?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8884 posts
5135 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
If can park car in front of dealership with signs on what's wrong and Hyundai's response.

See if media will come and/else record and post on youtube, etc.

Make sure vehicle parked on public area... not dealership or other private property.
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes
Someone looking for a $100k or more career should start a YT or social media channel to shame these unscrupulous businesses.
Feb 8, 2010
595 posts
506 upvotes
AlexC89414 wrote: Is there a youtuber that you would recommend for this kind of thing?
Don't go to the car reviewers cause they are paid by car makers. Find someone who posted Hyundai/Kia problems and got decent views.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ia+problem

Also, reach out to Globe&mail, CBC, Toronto Star, they go after consumer stories depend on what type of story they need.

https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/article ... nvestigate
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/about/j ... olumnists/

If you really want to make a big fuzz about it, $2000 can hire a PR firm to have at least 4 major news outlets cover your story... I don't recommend it though.