Deals on floor jacks

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2021 4:07 am
[OP]
Jan 10, 2006
726 posts
601 upvotes

Deals on floor jacks

Any good current or recurring deals to look for on floor jacks?

I need a decent floor jack, minimum 2-2.5 ton, and at least 17"+ in jacking height. Ideally with rebuild kits likely to be available in the future. Low profile is not necessary.

And not too harsh on the budget please. Though I hope that goes without saying, this is RFD!
26 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1989 posts
353 upvotes
Mississauga
Tiger131 wrote: This. Or the Arcan 3 ton jack from Costco if available.
Been out of stock for a while now
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2112 posts
3880 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Low pro jack from Costco. Don't bother waiting for a sale, the regular price beats any sale from CT or PA.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4843 posts
2098 upvotes
WFH
Marx0r wrote: $129 @ local Costco. I picked one up recently to replace an alum/steel hybrid Motomaster from CT that is no longer safe to use. I like it. It doesn't feel like it struggles with my GX460.

https://www.costco.ca/torin-3-ton-profe ... 92927.html
Torin jacks are junk. The u-joint on the release on mine failed after a couple of years. I made a more robust replacement but one of the pump seals failed just last week. Reading the reviews on Costco.ca, this would appear to be a very common problem. These should be regarded as disposable jacks since replacement parts are not readily available.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2006
726 posts
601 upvotes
Thanks for all the comments. For some reason notifications were disabled..

Yes the costo jacks get recommended here a lot, but I was concerned about the many poor reviews of the Torin jack. Specs look great. Price is ok. But the reported failures and apparent lack of replacement parts are concerning.

The jack from Canadian Tire that I'm replacing has a leaking seal, and of course no rebuild kits available. I don't want to fall in the same trap in the future. Also considering how critical a jack is for safety, failures are especially worrisome.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4113 posts
4318 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
They go on sale pretty frequently at CAD tire. Been using it off and on for a few years no issues. Switched to a quick jack so don't use it as much lately.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2006
726 posts
601 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: They go on sale pretty frequently at CAD tire. Been using it off and on for a few years no issues.
Which one? How much?
Jun 21, 2009
910 posts
357 upvotes
EST
You will be hard pressed to find a jack at this price range with available replacement parts. Princess Auto also sell alum/steel hybrid units that very closely resemble CT jacks - probably the same OE manufacturer behind them all. They don't go on sale as often, or for as good of a deal, but the 'lifetime' warranty could be a selling point.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2006
726 posts
601 upvotes
I called around for rebuild kits and warranty policies and here's what I found so far:

Princess Auto said they have a 1 year warranty, but even afterwards they may offer a partial credit depending on the issue, but it is assessed by the clerk at the discretion of the individual store.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/3-1-2-t ... 0008760498
Taking a specific product as an example, the 3-1/2 ton jack (SKU: 8760498) is currently on sale for $130, but the customer service said they have no rebuild kits except for some wheels available, and said they consider this a non-repairable item. Also, it is being discontinued after the current stock is sold.

Home Depot / Husky Tools have a 3 ton jack (Model # HD00107-CA)for $127 regular price, but the customer service said to call a supplier, Pull R Holding company, to get information about parts and warranty https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky- ... 1000805543 However, Pull R says these jacks ship directly from an "overseas supplier" and that they have no replacement parts available for them.

Costco said the 1 year warranty of the Torin jack (Model: T830018ZH), $130 in store, is through the manufacturer. https://www.costco.ca/torin-3-ton-profe ... 92927.html
Surprisingly (and after 18 minutes on hold to get my call answered...) Torin says they have seal rebuild kits and the power unit available, as well as other items in the parts list. After the 1 year warranty, those would cost USD $5 + shipping (USD $10.50 to Montreal), and USD $40 + shipping (USD $47.62), respectively.

The reviews and company policies suggest these are considered mostly "disposable" items, but the availability of a rebuild kit on Costco's Torin is a bit more reassuring, although I wonder how long it will remain available. On the other hand, Princess Auto's customer service is local and typically very good. Looks like a question of choosing the least bad option.
Last edited by fizikz on Aug 18th, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4627 posts
4880 upvotes
GTA
I've had this Motomaster 3-ton jack for at least 10 years now. Seems to fit your criteria. It got way more than average DIY use, and it's still going. I got it for around $100 back then, but it still goes on sale for $120-130 these days. I don't think you're going to find any jack that comes with a rebuild kit, but some jacks might come with a decent user manual and spare parts list, and where to buy them.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 1047p.html

edit: looks like it's finally discontinued, but there's still stock at some of the stores
[OP]
Jan 10, 2006
726 posts
601 upvotes
FYI I called Motomaster to ask which jacks have rebuild kits and was flatly told none of them do, for security reasons...

I find it strange because another customer service agent I had reached at Motomaster weeks ago had searched for a model number even for a discontinued product, and then directed me to the supplier in case they have rebuild kits available. But today's agent was very prompt and confident about their answer.
May 27, 2016
177 posts
140 upvotes
BC
fizikz wrote: FYI I called Motomaster to ask which jacks have rebuild kits and was flatly told none of them do, for security reasons...

I find it strange because another customer service agent I had reached at Motomaster weeks ago had searched for a model number even for a discontinued product, and then directed me to the supplier in case they have rebuild kits available. But today's agent was very prompt and confident about their answer.
Why do you need a jack with a rebuild kit? I have bought 5 floor jacks over the past 25 years and all of them still work fine and none are leaking.

The latest one was: https://www.princessauto.com/en/2-1-2-t ... 0008887325

Mind you I didn't pay $200 for it, I think it was on sale for $109 but it has worked well for the last 5 years with moderate usage and is fairly light but feels solid.
Feb 15, 2018
18 posts
4 upvotes
I got a Torin "black jack" bundle with a pair of jack stands at Costco about 18 years ago. It had plenty of lift height and weight capacity (3 1/2 tons IIRC), but began leaking down within a couple of years. In retrospect, I wish I'd paid more and gotten an aluminum jack, because that jack was over 80 pounds, hard to roll on dirt and gravel, and carry indoors for storage.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4353 posts
1649 upvotes
Edmonton
I have a michelin jack. Cost over $200 but it's been over 7 years of daily use (it's about 15 years old but average it's used daily for half the year). Still works great (surprisingly)
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Jan 10, 2006
726 posts
601 upvotes
I'm between the 3.5 ton jack on sale at princess auto due to their "lifetime" warranty and customer service, or the Torin at Costco for the nicer specs and currently available rebuild kit, although curiously the listing for it has vanished from costco.ca
eklips wrote: Why do you need a jack with a rebuild kit? I have bought 5 floor jacks over the past 25 years and all of them still work fine and none are leaking.

The latest one was: https://www.princessauto.com/en/2-1-2-t ... 0008887325

Mind you I didn't pay $200 for it, I think it was on sale for $109 but it has worked well for the last 5 years with moderate usage and is fairly light but feels solid.
You must be lucky, because so many people report leaks. It's one of the reasons I'm shopping for a jack now. Gaskets/o-rings deteriorate over time, so it will happen sooner or later.
If that 2-1/2 ton jack from princess auto were available at $109 now I'd grab it, done deal.
bassbindevil wrote: I got a Torin "black jack" bundle with a pair of jack stands at Costco about 18 years ago. It had plenty of lift height and weight capacity (3 1/2 tons IIRC), but began leaking down within a couple of years. In retrospect, I wish I'd paid more and gotten an aluminum jack, because that jack was over 80 pounds, hard to roll on dirt and gravel, and carry indoors for storage.
A couple of years.. what a disappointment. Dirt and gravel is an extra hassle. Mine will be staying on concrete for life.
tmkf_patryk wrote: I have a michelin jack. Cost over $200 but it's been over 7 years of daily use (it's about 15 years old but average it's used daily for half the year). Still works great (surprisingly)
I heard good things about the michelin jack. Canadian Tire? Doesn't seem available anymore. There was a RFD deal on it years ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4843 posts
2098 upvotes
WFH
fizikz wrote: ...Torin says they have seal rebuild kits and the power unit available, as well as other items in the parts list. After the 1 year warranty, those would cost USD $5 + shipping (USD $10.50 to Montreal), and USD $40 + shipping (USD $47.62), respectively...
interesting, I couldn't source any parts for mine. It possibly comes down to model/age.. Maybe the best approach is to order a couple of rebuild kits early on while they're still available? I don't have a problem replacing seals periodically but is seems such a waste having to scrap an otherwise serviceable jack over a few pennies worth of rubber.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1241 posts
804 upvotes
East of Toronto
I ended up buying the $129 Torin at Costco earlier this year. Have rarely used it but so far, so good. Hopefully I will not have to lug it back to Costco for a refund but at least that is an option.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2006
726 posts
601 upvotes
dirtmover wrote: interesting, I couldn't source any parts for mine. It possibly comes down to model/age.. Maybe the best approach is to order a couple of rebuild kits early on while they're still available? I don't have a problem replacing seals periodically but is seems such a waste having to scrap an otherwise serviceable jack over a few pennies worth of rubber.
My thoughts exactly. As long as it is safe to do so, I much prefer to repair and keep using what works. And yes I'm considering getting some rebuild kits early, because of doubts of how long they'll stock them. The flipside is that the rebuild kits would start aging.
DRC wrote: I ended up buying the $129 Torin at Costco earlier this year. Have rarely used it but so far, so good. Hopefully I will not have to lug it back to Costco for a refund but at least that is an option.
I hope Costco would support it, but I was told by their customer service that the 1 year warranty is through the manufacturer. Glad to know your Torin is fine.