Home & Garden

deals for install central air recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2016 5:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1067 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto

deals for install central air recommendations?

I will install central air. Any recommended places for good deals? How is costco?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1679 posts
696 upvotes
I just had central air installed through a Costco-partnered installer. I got a 2-ton, 15.5 SEER Lennox Elite series unit quoted at about $3600+HST, plus an additional $300 back in Costco gift cards and the 2% Executive Membership benefit.

Was this a good deal? I didn't really shop around as I kind of assumed Costco affiliated partners would be competitive. If you can, get a couple of quotes. I know a few companies in the Ottawa area that are advertising Lennox AC installs for $2200-2600. These likely weren't the Elite series - how much more that is, and whether it's worth it, is a question I can't really answer. Non-Lennox installs seem to go for $1700+.

I was very torn about whether to cancel this install so I could shop around more, but I was also factoring in the upcoming summer heat (the "just get it done now" factor) and the hassle of booking more time off work to meet with contractors doing quotes.

I can say that the installer came on time, as promised, the installation was straightforward, the unit works great and is nice and quiet. Just in time as the weekend following the install was one of the muggiest May days ever, with a 40-degree Humidex.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
GreyingJay wrote: I just had central air installed through a Costco-partnered installer. I got a 2-ton, 15.5 SEER Lennox Elite series unit quoted at about $3600+HST, plus an additional $300 back in Costco gift cards and the 2% Executive Membership benefit.

Was this a good deal? I didn't really shop around as I kind of assumed Costco affiliated partners would be competitive.
Don't assume Costco affiliate partners are that good. When I was requesting quotes and asking for specific details about products from one of those companies, the sales guy kept saying "Don't worry, its backed by Costco. Costco can't do you wrong....etc". He couldn't answer my questions at all. He also guaranteed price match. After I disclosed all the other competitors' quotes to him, he said he can't match their prices. I felt cheated as I did all the work getting quotes, handed over the information, and this company just took the information for their own benefit. This is my experience with one Costco company. I can't say the same for others.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1679 posts
696 upvotes
BDSL wrote: Don't assume Costco affiliate partners are that good. When I was requesting quotes and asking for specific details about products from one of those companies, the sales guy kept saying "Don't worry, its backed by Costco. Costco can't do you wrong....etc". He couldn't answer my questions at all. He also guaranteed price match. After I disclosed all the other competitors' quotes to him, he said he can't match their prices. I felt cheated as I did all the work getting quotes, handed over the information, and this company just took the information for their own benefit. This is my experience with one Costco company. I can't say the same for others.
Agreed. I think I probably did OK, but I should not have assumed and I don't think the OP should either.

Truth be told another factor was that my father had recently used the Costco partner for AC installation in a similar sized home, said it cost "$3000-something", and was happy with the outcome. So, I admit I was a little bit lazy. Next time I will be more diligent.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1067 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
I'm on the fence about install. I only require 2 rooms to be cooled, not entire house.
Thanks for info, I'll research.