• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 11:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1047 posts
154 upvotes

Deals for NHL Live

Years ago there were some loopholes to purchase NHL Live through VPN's to certain countries for a significant discount. Does anyone know of one for this shortened season? I'm having a hard time paying $159 for a season that could get cut short at anytime.

Thanks!
30 replies
Jun 2, 2008
502 posts
56 upvotes
I don't have an answer but would like to know as well. You are right, $160 is steep for a short and potentially cancelled season. Still couldn't get a clear answer from Rogers on what will be blacked out this season, with the new divisions. If I can't watch the Leaf's in Ontario, no dice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1047 posts
154 upvotes
I’m a Flames fan in the BC region so there likely won’t be black outs but I can imagine it might be an issue for you. Also I wonder if this could be a group buy or something. Last year they allowed 5 IP addresses.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1207 posts
654 upvotes
Is the device limit still 5 or is it 3 now? Curious about the blackouts as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1047 posts
154 upvotes
hybrid09 wrote: Is the device limit still 5 or is it 3 now? Curious about the blackouts as well.
You're right. It's a 3 device limit.
Jan 7, 2021
14 posts
I'm a Jets fan living in Montreal, so NHL Live is the only (legal) way for me to watch all their games. Most seasons there are only 2 Jets-Habs games that get blacked out for me, which sucks but I can deal with it, but this year with a the new Canadian division there will be 9 or 10 Jets-Habs games. NHL Live is way too expensive as it is, but paying $160 and having 10 games blacked out would be brutal.

Like the previous poster, I also haven't been able to get an answer from Rogers as to whether they will cut back on the blackouts this year, but if they don't there's no way I can justifying paying. Also, last season I found a discount code on this very website, so hopefully someone will be able to dig one up this year as well.
Aug 15, 2018
2 posts
I'm in a similar boat to you, Jets fan in Alberta. I looked through the broadcast schedule and can get half the games via CBC and Sportsnet (though stuck with local commentators), so that makes NHL live 27 games for $160.... OUCH. Need a much better deal.
Dec 1, 2007
740 posts
131 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
Interested to see more as the Early Bird expires at midnight EST tonight.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Feb 16, 2010
743 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen group buying threads for Netflix - can we do this with NHL Live? If we can watch on 5 screens simultaneously, then $32 per season for each person is a lot more affordable.

I don't want to spend $60/month to get cable... and really want to be able to watch the game tomorrow!!!
Oct 29, 2017
3 posts
Looks like you only have access to 3 screens at once

**Can I use NHL LIVE™ on more than one device?
You can stream on up to three devices at the same time with your subscription.**
Jan 7, 2021
14 posts
Well, $184 (early bird price including taxes in Quebec) is just too much money for me to pay to watch my beloved Winnipeg Jets while living in Montreal. Especially given the shortened season with increased blackouts due to the all-Canadian division. Why in the world can't you just pay for a single team instead of the whole league? (Apparently they let you do this in the U.S.) The way Rogers is managing the streaming rights makes no sense in this day in age.

In any case, unless a discount code pops up here at some point, I will be passing on NHL Live this year for the first time in a long time.
Dec 5, 2005
873 posts
513 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
c-ditty wrote: I don't have an answer but would like to know as well. You are right, $160 is steep for a short and potentially cancelled season. Still couldn't get a clear answer from Rogers on what will be blacked out this season, with the new divisions. If I can't watch the Leaf's in Ontario, no dice.
If you are in Leafs territory then yes you will be blacked out.Center Ice is an Out of market package
May 27, 2010
442 posts
178 upvotes
I asked Rogers over the phone and wasn't provided an answer. In previous seasons, many (or all?) of the Montreal and Ottawa games were blacked out from my region (Atlantic Canada). This year, the Oilers will play them 18 times, which is a lot of games to potentially lose due to a blackout.
Jan 7, 2021
14 posts
baconcow wrote: I asked Rogers over the phone and wasn't provided an answer. In previous seasons, many (or all?) of the Montreal and Ottawa games were blacked out from my region (Atlantic Canada). This year, the Oilers will play them 18 times, which is a lot of games to potentially lose due to a blackout.
I had a customer service chat with Rogers this evening and was told 'We were awaiting news on local broadcast schedules before being able to confirm whether or not there would be blackouts in effect this season and I can confirm that blackouts will still be in effect this season. Our blackout tool is still in the process of being updated but should be available shortly.'
Jan 7, 2021
14 posts
Using a VPN, I was able to force the NHL website to show me the streaming prices for the U.S. (instead of redirecting me to Rogers as it usually does). Even in American dollars, they seem to be getting a much better deal: US$85 for a single team, or US$100 for the whole league.
A76942C7-C218-4808-B38E-E7BD9F088984.jpeg
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12108 posts
3181 upvotes
smoothstream is the solution of all sporting events
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Dec 6, 2018
59 posts
27 upvotes
sergiodont wrote: Looks like you only have access to 3 screens at once

**Can I use NHL LIVE™ on more than one device?
You can stream on up to three devices at the same time with your subscription.**
A question that I would still have is: While I can watch on 3 screens at once, how many IPs can connect at once? Because if it's 3 screens on the same IP (or household for these purposes), that does little good to those looking to split the costs with a friend.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2536 posts
1703 upvotes
Unfortunately Russia VPN loophole is no longer working.
Feb 16, 2010
743 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
For those cord-cutters out there, how will you be watching the games this season? This is my first time without cable, and I don't want to miss hockey!
Jun 3, 2017
12 posts
5 upvotes
If I were to use a VPN to sign up for US NHL.tv for that cheaper price... is there any downsides?