• Feb 27th, 2018 6:12 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
742 posts
71 upvotes

Death in family

Hi,

What needs to be done if my spouse has passed away away before 65 years of age? Like what things need to be done now such as change billing name, power of attorney, update which government bodies and on what topics such as pension relation, disability, insurance, etc.

Is there a professional that actually helps people in organizing and completing these things once their spouse suddenly passes away before 65 years of age?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3562 posts
2223 upvotes
Kitchener
Soorma wrote: Hi,

What needs to be done if my spouse has passed away away before 65 years of age? Like what things need to be done now such as change billing name, power of attorney, update which government bodies and on what topics such as pension relation, disability, insurance, etc.

Is there a professional that actually helps people in organizing and completing these things once their spouse suddenly passes away before 65 years of age?
Sorry to hear this.

Quite often the funeral home has a lot of information in that regards. It's complex yet not complex. Most important thing will be notifying all creditors and debtors of what happened, and the death certificate is proof. Same goes for government -- you'll be talking to Service Canada in regards to CPP, death benefit ($2,500) and survivor benefits, the Canada Revenue Agency to do final taxes, and obviously you need to contact any and all insurance companies regarding outstanding policies. Find out all pensions the spouse had and find out what, if any, survivor benefits there are.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4765 posts
2354 upvotes
Toronto
If you spouse was a Union member, the union may help with some things. Possibly even provide some coverage with a lawyer.

On edit: Giving this further thought. What needs to be done and how it is handled depends on the presence of a will. If there is one, you need to find it. Also, get a death certificate and contact the bank. They will ask for a will but will tell you how the bank handles things.
Last edited by ROYinTO on Feb 27th, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 6, 2015
958 posts
560 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I was executor for my mom's estate, but I hired a lawyer to take care of most of it. Mostly what I did was to find and sort out her financial records and forward them to the lawyer who made most of the contacts to banks and government. Mind you this can get rather pricey, especially if it is a relatively large estate.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry for your loss.
Be sure to see a lawyer. Too much at risk if you end up skipping steps, like probate.