Tags:
[OP]
Jul 20, 2009
535 posts
88 upvotes
Ottawa

Debate between RDX 16/17 vs Madza CX 18/19

Hi all,

This is my first time posting in this sub-forum. Please take it easy on me :( :(

I am in a market for a new car as my Forester 2010 XT brings me down every summer; spent closed to 2k in the past 4 summer for a mechanical work. I hope this is good time to buy a new used card and I am not in rush to buy it; can wait few months if there is a good deal. My budget is roughly around 25k before tax and I hope that anyone can provide me a good advice for my next purchase. I am looking for a reliable car, fun to drive and affordable to maintain.

I am debating between RDX 2016/2017 (ATech package trim) vs Madza CX5 2018/2019 (GT trim). Is there any known issue on these model/year on both cars and I am open for other options as well

Thank you so much for your time and stay well and healthy all

LT
38 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12157 posts
6700 upvotes
Brampton
Drivetrain on the RDX is better. More power and pep.
The Mazda "Drives" better than the RDX. But it feels underpowered

Infotainment sucks on the RDX.
The Mazda can be upgraded to support AA and CP and or already has it available depending on your model year.

I'd personally lean toward the Mazda for a better all round car. But at the same time if you're coming from an XT you'll find it underpowered.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
671 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
The RDX. over the cx5. It has a better look and feel to it.
--
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5122 posts
1600 upvotes
Vancouver
RDX is basically a higher end CRV so its above the CX model as the CX is more comparable to the CRV
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1154 posts
571 upvotes
From your question, you already know the Acura RDX is more expensive, so for the same amount of money you would need to get a 2-year older car -- 2016/2017 RDX vs 2018/2019 CX5.

To me the answer is clear. Go for the Mazda CX-5.

As others (even those who say get the RDX) say, the RDX is a higher end Honda CR-V. But the Acura "badge" does not have the same luxury cachet as say a Lexus (vs Toyota).
Looks and driving experience are more of a personal view, but in my eyes the current generation (2017 and newer) CX-5 is a nicer looking car, and Mazda always gets high marks for fun to drive.

For reliability, Consumers Reports has consistently ranked Mazda brand in top three for reliability (along with Lexus and Toyota), while Honda and Acura are scoring below average.

I recently bought a new CX-5, so I am more aware of known problems for Mazda. The main known problem for 2018/2019 Mazda CX-5 is there was a simple recall for a software upgrade on the non-turbo models. The non-turbo engines have cylinder deactivation, and the software was causing some stalling. But it was a simple software upgrade that was needed. I don't follow known problems for Honda/Acura as much, but I keep reading about oil leaks and oil consumption.

PS: If you want more power, the Turbo version of the CX-5 is as fast as the RDX A-Spec, and moving to Turbo models gets you higher trim and luxury features, while still costing thousands less than Acura.
Feb 2, 2020
32 posts
22 upvotes
RDX by a long shot here. The CX5 looks great, but I would rate it behind its more prominent Japanese counterparts like Honda and Toyota, let alone compare it to Honda's luxury brand. The CX5 fit and finish is not even close to as polished and solid feeling as an RDX. As much as I want to like Mazda, they are notorious for rusting faster than expected.

For reference - I've driven both cars for several days and longer, and was not as impressed with the CX5 as most people seem to be.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1154 posts
571 upvotes
SheikhYarbooti wrote: As much as I want to like Mazda, they are notorious for rusting faster than expected.
Your information is dated. You are thinking of pre-2010 mazdas which were rust buckets due to some design issues. Mazda has a great reputation now, and no rust problems. In fact to change the perception, Mazda Canada rust warranty is has no limited on mileage.
Feb 2, 2020
32 posts
22 upvotes
multimut wrote: Your information is dated. You are thinking of pre-2010 mazdas which were rust buckets due to some design issues. Mazda has a great reputation now, and no rust problems. In fact to change the perception, Mazda Canada rust warranty is has no limited on mileage.
Nope, I'm thinking of Mazda's global recall of over 2 million vehicles around 2016, for them having rust issues.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5663 posts
3254 upvotes
Toronto
Not that city dwelling CUV owners will likely need it, the AWD system in Mazda's suck, SH-AWD is a much better system than Mazda's.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1028 posts
633 upvotes
TDot
BeaverLiquor wrote: Not that city dwelling CUV owners will likely need it, the AWD system in Mazda's suck, SH-AWD is a much better system than Mazda's.
The 16/17 RDX dosen't have SHAWD. It does have the smooth and powerful J35 NA V6/6 spd auto combo which is reason enough alone to pick it over the CX5, turbo or not.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1181 posts
546 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
OP,

if you can get yourself into a 2019 CX-5 with the 2.5T, you will really enjoy it.
Jul 3, 2019
11 posts
3 upvotes
Both are similar reliability wise. For the Acura, the 2016/2017 is one of the last model years for the previous gen, so most issues should have been ironed out.
The CX5 GT has similar interior quality but a way better infotainment system. And replacing the infotainment on the Acura is not easy and not cheap.
The Acura will be faster if it has the 3.5l V6, but will consume more gas.
Personally, I’d take the CX5.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2009
535 posts
88 upvotes
Ottawa
multimut wrote: From your question, you already know the Acura RDX is more expensive, so for the same amount of money you would need to get a 2-year older car -- 2016/2017 RDX vs 2018/2019 CX5.

To me the answer is clear. Go for the Mazda CX-5.

As others (even those who say get the RDX) say, the RDX is a higher end Honda CR-V. But the Acura "badge" does not have the same luxury cachet as say a Lexus (vs Toyota).
Looks and driving experience are more of a personal view, but in my eyes the current generation (2017 and newer) CX-5 is a nicer looking car, and Mazda always gets high marks for fun to drive.

For reliability, Consumers Reports has consistently ranked Mazda brand in top three for reliability (along with Lexus and Toyota), while Honda and Acura are scoring below average.

I recently bought a new CX-5, so I am more aware of known problems for Mazda. The main known problem for 2018/2019 Mazda CX-5 is there was a simple recall for a software upgrade on the non-turbo models. The non-turbo engines have cylinder deactivation, and the software was causing some stalling. But it was a simple software upgrade that was needed. I don't follow known problems for Honda/Acura as much, but I keep reading about oil leaks and oil consumption.

PS: If you want more power, the Turbo version of the CX-5 is as fast as the RDX A-Spec, and moving to Turbo models gets you higher trim and luxury features, while still costing thousands less than Acura.
SheikhYarbooti wrote: RDX by a long shot here. The CX5 looks great, but I would rate it behind its more prominent Japanese counterparts like Honda and Toyota, let alone compare it to Honda's luxury brand. The CX5 fit and finish is not even close to as polished and solid feeling as an RDX. As much as I want to like Mazda, they are notorious for rusting faster than expected.

For reference - I've driven both cars for several days and longer, and was not as impressed with the CX5 as most people seem to be.
OG2003 wrote: Both are similar reliability wise. For the Acura, the 2016/2017 is one of the last model years for the previous gen, so most issues should have been ironed out.
The CX5 GT has similar interior quality but a way better infotainment system. And replacing the infotainment on the Acura is not easy and not cheap.
The Acura will be faster if it has the 3.5l V6, but will consume more gas.
Personally, I’d take the CX5.
Hi all,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you guys for all the information. I did read over all your posts carefully and I do agree with most of your comments.

I totally agree that MADZA CX5 has way better infotainment system over RDX in general; better interior design over RDX 16/17 (honestly I do like the new design of new RDX19/20; but my budget doesnt allow at this moment). However, the RDX feels more solid and luxury but this is just my personal reference.

MADZA CX5 19/20 & RDX16/17 do have an edge over other car on different category. May I get to know more about engine and the cost of maintenance on both cars, please. I wish I have a flexible budget, which makes my decision easier but I prefer to stay within my budget (25k + 3k)

Madza CX5 2018/2019
- Better interior design (compared with RDX16/17)
- Much better infotainment system
- Fuel economy

Acura RDX 2016/2016
- More powerful engine
- Feel solid and "luxury"
- Fun to drive
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13125 posts
1957 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure what you guys are smoking but the infotainment in mazda cars is terrible. Its the most useless piece of crap. I have a 2019 cx-9 and just wanna smash the infotainment.

Android auto almost always has issues. Pairing issues, freezing issues, restarting problems.. backup camera is low res, 360 camera is from a barbie camera. Im not even kidding. The system takes forever to load. When I start the car, I wait 5 seconds and then throw it in reverse and more then half the time, the infotainment is not done loading. It takes another 20-30 seconds. This system lags so hard its worse than an aftermarket Walmart head unit. I'm not even sure how people are living with this system. During my trip to Florida last summer, the infotainment crashed around 30 times from Toronto to Fort lauderdale.

Take the RDX
Dec 1, 2014
180 posts
160 upvotes
Burlington, ON
OP - we picked-up a gently used 2016 RDX Elite last year after shopping around for different SUVs.

The RDX has a reliable transmission and engine, plenty of passing power and in the summer we average 8.7L/100KM. We only use regular gas (premium is recommended.. but not required). Mechanically, it's a straightforward car, plenty of parts, etc...

I also like the audio system, fairly quiet ride, and most features that you want. Although it doesn't have Android Auto or Apple Car Play, it was not a deal breaker for us.

FYI, 2016 to 2018 RDX are identical mechanically from what I read. We had a CR-V before and the RDX is just way better in every sense.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1086 posts
604 upvotes
If you can get a turbo 18/19 CX-5, I'd go for the CX5.

But it really comes down to personal preference to be honest. The RDX is bigger, it can seat 3 reasonably comfortably in the back, where the CX5 you'd only do it on a pinch. The RDX also has more cargo space. The CX-5 is just a sportier car imo. It's much more fun to drive, and you'll be surprised how 'luxurious' the CX5 interior is compared to the last gen RDX. I actually think the 18/19 interior on a GT / signature CX5 is nicer.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12157 posts
6700 upvotes
Brampton
trixstar wrote: I'm not sure what you guys are smoking but the infotainment in mazda cars is terrible. Its the most useless piece of crap. I have a 2019 cx-9 and just wanna smash the infotainment.

Android auto almost always has issues. Pairing issues, freezing issues, restarting problems.. backup camera is low res, 360 camera is from a barbie camera. Im not even kidding. The system takes forever to load. When I start the car, I wait 5 seconds and then throw it in reverse and more then half the time, the infotainment is not done loading. It takes another 20-30 seconds. This system lags so hard its worse than an aftermarket Walmart head unit. I'm not even sure how people are living with this system. During my trip to Florida last summer, the infotainment crashed around 30 times from Toronto to Fort lauderdale.

Take the RDX
Ok so that but imagine it being worse and you have the Honda infotainment system.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1154 posts
571 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: Not that city dwelling CUV owners will likely need it, the AWD system in Mazda's suck, SH-AWD is a much better system than Mazda's.
Acura is more expensive by a significant amount, so it should have a very good AWD system.
But Mazda's predictive AWD gets top marks from professional reviews.
Mazda does not claim to have the best AWD for off-road (where Jeep and Subaru are king), but how many of us take our cars off-road. But for on-road performance, Mazda's AWD is as good as any of the non-luxury brands.

For reference, here an indepth article about the Mazda predictive AWD system, with lots of details about other AWD systems and how they work, including brief discussion of more upscale brands AWD system.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/222 ... ow-and-ice

My Mazda CX-5 purchase this year was my first ever Mazda. I do quite a bit of research, and I'm extremely impressed with the CX-5. As per my last post, if you can get the current generation (2017+) which is quite a bit better in every way than the prior generation. It's as quiet as a BMW (my Mazda replaces a BMW). And the current generation is a much nicer looking car (minor changes from prior generation, but the subtle changes add up to a much nicer looking car).
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1086 posts
604 upvotes
I read a youtube comparison, between Mazda's AWD system and other (such as Acura's AWD system on the RDX) and it shows Mazda's AWD system is severely FWD biased. It can send as much as 50% of torque to RWD in the most extreme condition (you completely lose grip with your front tires) but it is not as good as RDX's which can send as much as 70% power to the rear wheels.

That said, under normal driving condition, the difference is not very noticeable, and to most people it is not a big factor.

Also, for winter driving, what makes the MOST difference is not so much whether your car is AWD or FWD, it is whether you have a good set of snow tires. When your tires suck, and you can't get traction, the rest doesn't matter.

And the fact Mazda CX5 is THOUSANDS cheaper than the RDX, I think you would expect the Acura's AWD system to be better too (and it is)
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1086 posts
604 upvotes
multimut wrote: Acura is more expensive by a significant amount, so it should have a very good AWD system.
But Mazda's predictive AWD gets top marks from professional reviews.
Mazda does not claim to have the best AWD for off-road (where Jeep and Subaru are king), but how many of us take our cars off-road. But for on-road performance, Mazda's AWD is as good as any of the non-luxury brands.

For reference, here an indepth article about the Mazda predictive AWD system, with lots of details about other AWD systems and how they work, including brief discussion of more upscale brands AWD system.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/222 ... ow-and-ice

My Mazda CX-5 purchase this year was my first ever Mazda. I do quite a bit of research, and I'm extremely impressed with the CX-5. As per my last post, if you can get the current generation (2017+) which is quite a bit better in every way than the prior generation. It's as quiet as a BMW (my Mazda replaces a BMW). And the current generation is a much nicer looking car (minor changes from prior generation, but the subtle changes add up to a much nicer looking car).
I did a lot of research, drove the 19 RDX and 19 CX-5 back to back, and I think the CX5 is much better value, and more fun to drive than the RDX while not really giving up much in terms of luxury, refinement, features. The only thing I think the RDX is really better is the rear seat room, and overall cargo room.

I'd pick the 2019/2020 CX5 turbo over the RDX personally, by wifey likes the RDX unfortunately :(