• Aug 10th, 2022 10:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4200 posts
770 upvotes
T.O.

Debating between the 2019 Acura RDX and 2019 BMW X3

Has anyone driven these cars and can compare them? We are thinking of trading in our older x3, but the RDX seems like a nice alternative which is also a bit cheaper and with a better warranty than the X3. But we absolutely love the handling and driving experience with the X3.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
28 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1597 posts
2255 upvotes
X3 with BMW extended warranty. Car you want. Warranty you want.
Plus you probably still have around 2 years of free maintenance with it.

My wife got a 2019 cpo X3 a couple weeks ago. Car had 30k km. She added 3 years extended warranty up to 100k km for $3250.
Basically same warranty as if she got the car brand new but saved 20k off the sticker price.

She liked the RDX too at first but when she drove the BMW she was sold.
The only other car in the category that was a better driver than the X3 was the stelvio but we had concerns with reliability since she was buying and not leasing. The Stelvios get pretty pricey too when you option them a little bit. But man they drive nice
Nov 23, 2011
75 posts
154 upvotes
RDX is better value for what you're paying.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44423 posts
7705 upvotes
Also I do love the overall drive and performance of the X3. I have test driven a RDX before. Well a friend’s.

Note I do have the X3 M40i, but the regular X3 drives great.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5048 posts
2037 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're buying the 2019 RDX you want to make sure these issues have been addressed and fixed (I drive one).

squeaky brakes when cold, there is a TSB for this
infotainment system connectors per TSB
infotainment system glitches

As a current owner of a 2019 RDX Tech model I'd advise you to test drive the RDX from a completely cold start, never driven for the day.

First thing, watch how the infotainment system boots up. If you get any kind of error message such as "Radio not available", don't buy the car. If you don't mind the radio not working for the first 10 minutes of your drive, then check to make sure Apple Car play and/or Android Auto boot up. If you're getting any error, odds are other errors will also occur from time to time, such as infotainment controls/buttons (phone, volume, etc) on the steering wheel that will occasionally glitch out in complete randomness. Usually you can recover these functions by pulling off the road, stopping the engine, opening & closing the drivers door (very important), and restarting the car. Sometimes it may take 2 or 3 attempts or waiting 5 minutes after opening & closing the door.

You want no issues with your infotainment system because to fix it may require they replace the cable connectors or CPU unit which will require the dash to come off and you know how these things are, when they go back on it is never as good as factory new and you may end up with rattles etc for the rest of your time with the car. To replace when off warranty will be very expensive. I've had my dashboard off once and they replaced the bad connectors but not the CPU. Still not fixed so now the dash has to come off again to do the CPU. Angry Face

Second thing, now that you have sorted out the infotainment system, take the car around the block. If it is completely cold, as in never driven for the day nor "warmed up" by the owner and it is still in the morning before the heat of the day and the dew has not come off the grass, take the car around the block and lightly apply the brakes. If the original pads and rotors (at least the front) are still on the car you may hear a shrill squealing that will cause dogs to howl, your teeth to ache, and the fine crystal of your neighbors to shatter. This issue may not happen in summer but certainly from end of September thru to late spring.

Now I will have to say that in my experience my dealers service department has been a joy to deal with except for the last visit when I found oil drops and smears on the seats and front window glass. This was after the dash was taken out and put in and an issue with the sunroof (cracking sounds from the upper rear due loose bolts) was fixed (2 days in shop). The oil drops were from the sun roof repair.

I really enjoy driving my vehicle at speeds over 20-25km/h as it handles well and has good acceleration for highway ramps, passing uphill, etc.. You can really notice the SH-AWD coming into play when throttle is used appropriately in the twisties. I love driving Highway #1 through the Fraser Canyon and the road up to Whistler here in BC. However, below 25km/hr in the city is not as pleasant. The car's transmission sometimes has a real serious hesitation issue that happens when you are braking to slow down for a turn and then get back on the throttle to get into a slot in traffic. It it f**king dangerous at times if you rely solely on the automatic transmissions AI as it seems the transmission thinks about it and then defaults into dropping you into a "lower fuel economy and save fuel $$" gearing and not the "get going and save my ass" gearing. I've developed the habit of using the paddle shifters at all intersections where I'll be turning and merging.

Fuel economy is not great for a 4cyl smaller SUV. The bigger Hyundai Palisade and KIA Telluride with 6 cyl engines are about the same. Compare on Fuelly.com to the BMW.

I also really love the huge underfloor storage bays in the back where I can hide my photography gear during day trips. I'm not sure why they don't offer reclining rear seats or a power port in the back - maybe because the vehicle battery is too small to risk running accessories on battery power alone? Also, don't get the Tech model with the faux leather (vinyl) seats. They're awful in warm weather. On the other hand the pools of sweat from my backside don't leak through the vinyl into the seats electrical fittings. I wish they offered cloth seats in the Tech - (edit) as otherwise they're very comfortable; I've done a several 10 hour days in the seat across Western Canada; excellent adjustments on the lumbar support. (/edit) I drove an A-Spec for 2 days and it's leather seats with in-seat fan assisted cooling was very nice.

So now that you've taken it around the block, parked, and it's been off for 5 minutes while you talk to the seller, ask to start the car up one more time. How's that infotainment system doing?

Whatever you do, if you love music, don't... DO NOT... listen to the sound system in this car, either the Tech model with 13 speakers or the more upscale A-Spec or higher with the 16 speaker system. Cause if you do you'll probably buy it.

Last edited by NewsyL on Aug 20th, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19136 posts
19010 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sting004 wrote: RDX is better value for what you're paying.
It better be. How else is Acura going to sell cars?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7215 posts
6397 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: It better be. How else is Acura going to sell cars?
the RDX also drives/handles better than the regular X3. The X3 M40i imo drives better than the RDX and what i would choose if it was between them. But if it's just a regular X3 vs RDX, I'll choose the RDX and it's SH-AWD and value and keep post warranty (not that Acura's are that great, but i'll roll dice with an out of warranty acura over BMW)

if it was still precovid/2019, the X3 was screaming bargain for leasing and what i'll get. you could get a X3 M40i for under $800/mth all in with $0 down back then
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1597 posts
2255 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: you could get a X3 M40i for under $800/mth all in with $0 down back then

Dealer would need to sell it to you 17% off MSRP to get a lease under 800....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7215 posts
6397 upvotes
RaphaelG041 wrote: Image

Dealer would need to sell it to you 17% off MSRP to get a lease under 800....
Well my friend got it for under $800 and I actually dropped her off to pick it up

With end of year firesale discounts at BMW, loyalty, fleet (can't stack them anymore I'm told) ... You can get 15% off MSRP not that difficult before at BMW
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
824 upvotes
so the Lexus NX is definitely out of the question?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7268 posts
1807 upvotes
Jigsaw wrote: so the Lexus NX is definitely out of the question?
Don't even go there. The NX is no comparison to the RDX and X3 in terms of driving experience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4200 posts
770 upvotes
T.O.
djemzine wrote: @Traian2003 What is the update?
I’m leaning more towards the x3 to be honest. Mostly because I’m already used to it, and the infotainment on the acura is atrocious. Still looking, the prices on the used cars are extremely high from what i’m seeing due to low stock.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44423 posts
7705 upvotes
Traian2003 wrote: I’m leaning more towards the x3 to be honest. Mostly because I’m already used to it, and the infotainment on the acura is atrocious. Still looking, the prices on the used cars are extremely high from what i’m seeing due to low stock.
Noted. Why don’t you give a shout to @STCman if you live in the GTA?
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4200 posts
770 upvotes
T.O.
djemzine wrote: Noted. Why don’t you give a shout to @STCman if you live in the GTA?
I did. He's keeping an eye out for me if something pops up.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4598 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
I prefer the X3 between the two for a variety of reasons, but as you have pointed out, the infotainment system in the RDX is brutal. The iDrive system in the X3 is actually very good.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
golden wrote: Don't even go there. The NX is no comparison to the RDX and X3 in terms of driving experience.
Right about driving experience but comfort and reliability on Lexus is unbeatable.

Wife has a 2016 Lexus NX and we haven't spent a penny on any repairs other than oil and filter change and winter tires.

It really depends what priority is the driver comes from.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)