Careers

Debating career switch, need advice!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 9:44 pm
Tags:
Aug 29, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Thank you for all the replies everyone, the UBC DAP --> CPA route was enticing because I believed that there was a huge demand for them in BC right now, and that after working a couple of years, I would eventually catch up to the 50-60K salary range with good exit options. Furthermore, the one and only accounting class that I took during my undergrad (introductory to financial accounting) was taught by a great professor that made things really interesting. Finance is just a long shot at this point of my career as I have completely no experience with that field besides personal investments.

It seems like the best option for me is to apply and go for an MBA from a top US school if I want to break out of community pharmacy. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up, and prepare for the GMAT soon haha.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
lockonstratos wrote: Thank you for all the replies everyone, the UBC DAP --> CPA route was enticing because I believed that there was a huge demand for them in BC right now, and that after working a couple of years, I would eventually catch up to the 50-60K salary range with good exit options. Furthermore, the one and only accounting class that I took during my undergrad (introductory to financial accounting) was taught by a great professor that made things really interesting. Finance is just a long shot at this point of my career as I have completely no experience with that field besides personal investments.

It seems like the best option for me is to apply and go for an MBA from a top US school if I want to break out of community pharmacy. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up, and prepare for the GMAT soon haha.
You can do the top 50 schools in US and be okay. Remember that many schools have online courses that you can do and save money. So you can do a part time online course while working your job.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
248 upvotes
lockonstratos wrote:
One thing you should know is, as a Canadian you pay the same tuition at a private university as an American does. The majority of good MBA programs are from private universities. If you go to a public university, then you will have to pay a higher out-of-state tuition fee.

Some universities like UCLA have interesting ones where you fly-in a certain # of times a year on weekends, so you don't necessarily have to move there. MBA programs differ greatly in the U.S. on style and program type, and it's up to you to do the research on which one's the right fit. Personality, extra curriculars, character and fit is extremely important to U.S. schools, even ones located very close to each other. U.S.C. will have a completely different student body than UCLA.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Sep 16, 2017
442 posts
339 upvotes
Unsure if this is for real? You want to leave being a pharmacist - a position that is in demand - to pursue something else?

My dad is a career pharmacist who semi retired at 48. You will have to deal with the shittiest parts of every job.

instead of being a retail pharmacist, try at a hospital or even have the option to go to be a pharmacist for a jail. there are options for you.

pharmacy is pretty flexible if you dont have your own store, you make a good wage which can let you do more faster than most.
you can also pick up a hobby on the side to look forward to when you are finished work.
Aug 12, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
lockonstratos wrote: It seems like the best option for me is to apply and go for an MBA from a top US school if I want to break out of community pharmacy. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up, and prepare for the GMAT soon haha.
IMO, unless you're going to an M7/T10 school in the states for your MBA, I would argue that either Rotman/Ivey might be worth considering and it'll probably cost you half of what you'd pay in the states. Also, you'd have less of an issue with H1B visas etc.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
248 upvotes
canuck707 wrote:
IMO, unless you're going to an M7/T10 school in the states for your MBA, I would argue that either Rotman/Ivey might be worth considering and it'll probably cost you half of what you'd pay in the states. Also, you'd have less of an issue with H1B visas etc.
OP should contact the recruiters at the companies she wants to work for and ask them whether she should enroll in NYU/UCLA's programs or Rottman/Ivey.

See if the recruiter even knows what rottman or ivey even are. There will be no doubt she's aware of NYU and UCLA, even though neither are Top 10.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Aug 12, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: OP should contact the recruiters at the companies she wants to work for and ask them whether she should enroll in NYU/UCLA's programs or Rottman/Ivey.

See if the recruiter even knows what rottman or ivey even are. There will be no doubt she's aware of NYU and UCLA, even though neither are Top 10.
The OP hasn't talked about moving down south and working in the states. No doubt an MBA from Stern or UCLA will definitely carry more weight in the states and internationally, but if she's hoping to work in Canada, that's when I don't see the point in getting an MBA from a Tier 2 (10-20 ranked) school.

I had admits to two tier 2 US schools along with Rotman and chose to go to Rotman. Rotman cost me about CAD$175K less. I'm where I want to be and while I'm sure a Tier 2 MBA could also have gotten me to the same place, I've saved a lot more money and I don't have any H1B issues to deal with.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
248 upvotes
canuck707 wrote:
The OP hasn't talked about moving down south and working in the states. No doubt an MBA from Stern or UCLA will definitely carry more weight in the states and internationally, but if she's hoping to work in Canada, that's when I don't see the point in getting an MBA from a Tier 2 (10-20 ranked) school.

I had admits to two tier 2 US schools along with Rotman and chose to go to Rotman. Rotman cost me about CAD$175K less. I'm where I want to be and while I'm sure a Tier 2 MBA could also have gotten me to the same place, I've saved a lot more money and I don't have any H1B issues to deal with.
You can end up at accenture out of the 200th ranked school in the U.S. you find finance people at accenture out of U.S. schools people have never heard of. You don't have to go to a top 10 or 20 MBA school to end up at Accenture, you can go to nowhere regional State U and get there.

Just a quick linkedin search and you can see the ex-CEO of North America Accenture is from University of Florida. A good state school, but certainly not a top 20 business school. And if you asked most UofT grads they'd consider themselves much better than Florida. A further search shows C-levels and VPs from all different US schools (ones you probably think Rottman is more prestigious than).

Also, most of my network from Canada told me they could have worked at the company I work at. Or that they were offered but decided they wanted to stay in Canada. Except when I found out they never passed the interview and they offer never happened. The same thing probably happens with university students, "I coulda gone to Harvard, but I wanted to go to UWO Ivey because it also has a similar sounding Ivy relation and I save money."

Also, if money is the concern, OP should just stick to Pharmacy and see if he/she can get a Managerial role. Canadian MBAs are pointless unless you're from a foreign country looking for a way to stay in. Or you want to punt 3 years of your life partying in Toronto, and your parents are cool with it.
Mar 28, 2017
34 posts
20 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: You can end up at accenture out of the 200th ranked school in the U.S. you find finance people at accenture out of U.S. schools people have never heard of. You don't have to go to a top 10 or 20 MBA school to end up at Accenture, you can go to nowhere regional State U and get there.

Just a quick linkedin search and you can see the ex-CEO of North America Accenture is from University of Florida. A good state school, but certainly not a top 20 business school. And if you asked most UofT grads they'd consider themselves much better than Florida. A further search shows C-levels and VPs from all different US schools (ones you probably think Rottman is more prestigious than).

Also, most of my network from Canada told me they could have worked at the company I work at. Or that they were offered but decided they wanted to stay in Canada. Except when I found out they never passed the interview and they offer never happened. The same thing probably happens with university students, "I coulda gone to Harvard, but I wanted to go to UWO Ivey because it also has a similar sounding Ivy relation and I save money."

Also, if money is the concern, OP should just stick to Pharmacy and see if he/she can get a Managerial role. Canadian MBAs are pointless unless you're from a foreign country looking for a way to stay in. Or you want to punt 3 years of your life partying in Toronto, and your parents are cool with it.
Lol

Normally i just ignore, but you're anti-Canadian school posts are starting to get old (pretty much every post I've read). I don't know why you spend so much time on a Canadian forum with a majority of Canadians trying to convince us US schools are better. You've definitely got too much time on your hands.

Canadian top schools are perfectly fine and well respected around the world. Are they globally top tier equivalents? No. Can they get you great opportunities at jobs/companies in other countries (including the U.S.)? Yes. Can you becoming a top tier earner or get an executive position? Yes. Are they the better choice especially if you're financially disadvantaged or if you plan to stay in Canada to work? Most definitely.

Stop being so narrow-minded as to thinking everyone wants to make the sacrifices to work in top tier work or other countries. It's like you think everyone you meet in Canada is anti-US schools or something, and you feel obligated to convince them otherwise.

Not saying you're always wrong, but could definitely do without the 75% of it which is clearly just your bias.

EDIT: just to add, of course you are going to see more examples of execs on LinkedIn for US companies from US schools. The ratio of schools/students compared to Canada is like 100:1. That's the most absurd indicator to compare with. Compare school by school.

The only reason someone should have a bias to a US school is if they plan to move to the US or if they are contemplating an elite school.
Aug 12, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: You can end up at accenture out of the 200th ranked school in the U.S. you find finance people at accenture out of U.S. schools people have never heard of. You don't have to go to a top 10 or 20 MBA school to end up at Accenture, you can go to nowhere regional State U and get there.
Respectfully, I think you either don't know what you're talking about, or you're very ill informed. Accenture is one of the top companies that hire at T20 schools. You don't go to a Top-B school to do Finance at Accenture. They pay 1 year MBA Strategy consultants 140K + Bonus. I think they can afford to be a bit selective. It is very rare for someone to go to 'nowhere regional State U' and end up at MBB/AT Kearney/Accenture/Monitor. You can however, end up in finance/middle office at these firms after going to 'nowhere regional State U'
Corner3 wrote: Just a quick linkedin search and you can see the ex-CEO of North America Accenture is from University of Florida. A good state school, but certainly not a top 20 business school. And if you asked most UofT grads they'd consider themselves much better than Florida. A further search shows C-levels and VPs from all different US schools (ones you probably think Rottman is more prestigious than).
Canada is 1/10th the size of the US. I'm not surprised that you'll find more no-name university alumni at C-suite levels at many F500 companies. I don't think it means anything. On average, if you were to compare Ivey HBA grads and Queens Commerce grads or even Rotman/Ivey MBA grads to their peers in Canada, I'd argue that they wouldn't do as bad as you seem to suggest.
Corner3 wrote: Also, most of my network from Canada told me they could have worked at the company I work at. Or that they were offered but decided they wanted to stay in Canada. Except when I found out they never passed the interview and they offer never happened. The same thing probably happens with university students, "I coulda gone to Harvard, but I wanted to go to UWO Ivey because it also has a similar sounding Ivy relation and I save money."
I work in the Front Office of a Canadian Bank. Granted it isn't a Goldman/MS/Blackrock etc, and sure I would like to work in those companies at some point, but I'm happy with where I'm at. I probably don't make as much money, but it is comparable when you adjust for Cost of Living standards in New York. However, I spent 175K less on my degree and I can always try to move down south later at some point.

All I'm trying to say is if your goal is to work in Canada, I really don't see the value add in spending 150K-180K more and going to Anderson/Fuqua/Cornell/Darden/Ross/Tepper when these schools do not have as big of a network in Canada.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
248 upvotes
I work in the Front Office of a Canadian Bank. Granted it isn't a Goldman/MS/Blackrock etc, and sure I would like to work in those companies at some point, but I'm happy with where I'm at. I probably don't make as much money, but it is comparable when you adjust for Cost of Living standards in New York. However, I spent 175K less on my degree and I can always try to move down south later at some point.
The average total compensation per worker for Goldman was over $500,000. Per worker, not per analyst, per manager, nor per trader. Per worker.

The "I can always try to move down" would be a lot easier with a U.S. MBA. Because, if you use your argument of "bigger network", then you'd have a larger network of U.S. grads from the U.S. (and at fortune 500 companies) if you came out of any major U.S. school.

Frankly, I'd rather have a smaller network that was high quality than a "bigger network." It's the reason why U.S. schools are so selective about their student body. Do you think Caltech or MIT cares about their class size being as big as University of Toronto? Why don't you think they care about having 30,000+ students if "bigger" network was better by your logic? Why does Columbia have so many fewer students than University Toronto?

I have friends that went to Canadian MBA programs and dropped out. Their network mainly consisted of foreigners that were either delusional about how career prospects were in Canada (they had attended too many Rottman/Ivey MBA recruiting events). Or they were there buying time until they could get permanent residency and bring their family over. I'd rather a smaller network of people that have actually accomplished something, that have worked and plan on staying in the U.S..

But attend where you want. Why do I care? I don't discourage it at all. I have my network of Canadians that attended U.S. schools, there are a decent amount at elite companies in New York and San Francisco/San Jose. They don't think they really care about that network getting any "bigger", as you would say. Why would we try to convince someone to compete? Just don't insult/attack me on this forum, then send me a PM months later asking me advice on how to get into a U.S. university like many on this forum inevitably do.
Aug 12, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: The average total compensation per worker for Goldman was over $500,000. Per worker, not per analyst, per manager, nor per trader. Per worker.
Again, if you actually did an MBA, you'd realize that average does not equal median. First year associates at Goldman in the top 10% bonus bucket make close to 250-300K ALL IN. This is after an MBA. First Year Associates at RBC in the top 10% bucket make about CAD200-250K ALL IN. It's usually the MDs and higher that tend to skew the average. CAD250K goes a LOTTT further in Toronto than it does in NYC

Finally, Goldman, Blackrock and PE/VC firms don't hire a lot of Grads from Anderson/Fuqua/Cornell/Darden/Ross/Tepper which is the point I was trying to make earlier. In my opinion, if you plan on working in Canada eventually, I wouldn't recommend an American MBA unless you went to an M7/T10 School.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... Comparison
[/b][/b]
Corner3 wrote: The "I can always try to move down" would be a lot easier with a U.S. MBA. Because, if you use your argument of "bigger network", then you'd have a larger network of U.S. grads from the U.S. (and at fortune 500 companies) if you came out of any major U.S. school.
No doubt it would be easier if I had a network of U.S. Grads. But that's what I'm trying to stress. I don't want to move to the U.S at this point. Neither does OP. I came to Canada when I was 13 years old. I would hate for my children to grow up in a country where almost 50% of the people around you voted in and are okay with their president behaving/saying the things he does. But again, that's my personal opinion. Arguably, also the opinion of a majority of Canadians. I'm also a lot more comfortable here because as with most of the people on this forum, our families live in Canada as well.
Corner3 wrote: I have friends that went to Canadian MBA programs and dropped out. Their network mainly consisted of foreigners that were either delusional about how career prospects were in Canada (they had attended too many Rottman/Ivey MBA recruiting events). Or they were there buying time until they could get permanent residency and bring their family over. I'd rather a smaller network of people that have actually accomplished something, that have worked and plan on staying in the U.S..
I can tell you as a recent Rotman Grad, that's not the case. A lot of them are very accomplished. Also, applications are up almost 53% over the past two years. The quality has probably never been higher. Last year, we did have Goldman, PIMCO and Houlihan Lokey recruit on Campus for the first time ever.
Corner3 wrote: But attend where you want. Why do I care? I don't discourage it at all.

Just don't insult/attack me on this forum, then send me a PM months later asking me advice on how to get into a U.S. university like many on this forum inevitably do.
You so obviously care for some reason and it's quite puzzling to be honest. Your attitude really does reek of some unfounded elitism.

As the poster above said,
'I don't know why you spend so much time on a Canadian forum with a majority of Canadians trying to convince us US schools are better. You've definitely got too much time on your hands.

Stop being so narrow-minded as to thinking everyone wants to make the sacrifices to work in top tier work or other countries. It's like you think everyone you meet in Canada is anti-US schools or something, and you feel obligated to convince them otherwise.'

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)