Decent cheap Streaming box/stick for older tv

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2020 4:26 pm
[OP]
Jun 21, 2019
14 posts
5 upvotes

Decent cheap Streaming box/stick for older tv

So due to this virus I'm looking for a Streaming box/stick for my parents. Needs to be relatively simple and easy. Netflix and Amazon prime for sure. Maybe have the ability to install ctv CBC global channels. Cheap too ad I'm not sure how long theyd use it or if it's going to catch on with them.

Not looking at replacing their tv as it's perfectly fine.
22 replies
Oct 18, 2013
539 posts
113 upvotes
Oshawa
Fire stick. cheap and easy to use.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2499 posts
2473 upvotes
Vancouver
Often the biggest problem with streaming devices for older parents is that they just don't get the whole thing about switching inputs on the TV, especially when they are trying to use multiple remotes and getting out of sync. In my experience this generates more support calls than anything else, like they are trying to watch TV and it's stuck on a blank screen from the streaming device and they don't know how to change it.

Something to think about when making your choices. Try out a test unit with them, and walk them through it a few times. Then let them try it on their own for a while with no hints. You might not get the results you expected. :)
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4262 posts
811 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Often the biggest problem with streaming devices for older parents is that they just don't get the whole thing about switching inputs on the TV
OMG this guy gets it. My parents have had a multiple input TV for 10+ years and still don't understand why the VCR input is different from the DVD player which is different from the cable box. I got them each an iPad and they watch YouTube on the small screen instead.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1221 posts
1295 upvotes
BC
4K Firestick... will work on any TV with HDMI input (doesn't need 4K TV). Get the 4K version as the chip is more powerful than the regular one and makes everything snappier.

Will play NetFlix and Amazon Prime for sure. Can install Global, CTV, and CBC app free from Amazon AppStore. -will need some subscription account for these services (Bell, Shaw, etc)

Can easily hack the stick to install other apps from other sources for grey market streaming. There are plenty of instructions on RFD and YouTube on how to do it, just search "firestick free movies")
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1148 posts
254 upvotes
Set up 80 year in laws last week with Roku Express and used my account. Visions has last year’s model for $28. Printed out in bolded type the input function process. It’s actually the terrible organization of Netflix titles and categories that causes them problems. They now call me with shows they’ve heard about and I go online and put them in their lists.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3490 posts
2040 upvotes
Toronto
After attempting to get my non-techie parents to using a Roku previously, it was just easier to set up an old/spare laptop with a K400 keyboard/touchpad.
In addition to not having to learn to use something new, having an actual keyboard to type and search for what they want to watch was a big factor for them. Sure it takes up more space and uses more energy, but for their streaming needs it works...and I have older machines to spare as they can live with 720p max.
They only wish for me to upgrade their keyboard to a backlit one which I am waiting for a deal on one.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2019
14 posts
5 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Often the biggest problem with streaming devices for older parents is that they just don't get the whole thing about switching inputs on the TV, especially when they are trying to use multiple remotes and getting out of sync. In my experience this generates more support calls than anything else, like they are trying to watch TV and it's stuck on a blank screen from the streaming device and they don't know how to change it.

Something to think about when making your choices. Try out a test unit with them, and walk them through it a few times. Then let them try it on their own for a while with no hints. You might not get the results you expected. :)
Theyre just 60 years old and not hopeless. As for trying out devices Im in Australia right now working in a remote location so I cant really try devices.
Fightguard wrote: After attempting to get my non-techie parents to using a Roku previously, it was just easier to set up an old/spare laptop with a K400 keyboard/touchpad.
In addition to not having to learn to use something new, having an actual keyboard to type and search for what they want to watch was a big factor for them. Sure it takes up more space and uses more energy, but for their streaming needs it works...and I have older machines to spare as they can live with 720p max.
They only wish for me to upgrade their keyboard to a backlit one which I am waiting for a deal on one.
Id do that and suggested they use my old c2d tower but they don't want a huge box. Plus im not home to setup a box/laptop.

Anyways after consideration Im going to go with a firestick as I can get the ctv app, cbc and global on it. Anyways I cant find any of the 4k units in stock anywhere. Best Buy is out, Amazon aint shipping till the 11th, the source has none. Any suggestions where in Edmonton to look?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9292 posts
1944 upvotes
Winnipeg
check shoppers,superstore and try visions too
[OP]
Jun 21, 2019
14 posts
5 upvotes
lead wrote: check shoppers,superstore and try visions too
Called shoppers from here and they were out, visions appears to be shutdown. Ill have my father try superstore, thanks for the suggestions
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15908 posts
2593 upvotes
Toronto
I would future-proof a bit and get the firestick 4k.
Nov 18, 2017
363 posts
208 upvotes
MarkaRagnos wrote: That's the regular one. Decided to get a 4k one and ended up tracking one down locally in Edmonton for them. All is well
Whoops that's wierd, I searched firestick 4k and that came up, I didn't even notice it was the reg one, sorry!