• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2018 3:11 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes

Deck

I need a deck build that's 8'x12' and 6" high. I need the deck to be able to withstand the elements. The deck also needs to be moved in the winter and put away. I don't want to have to stain it at all. I'm going to hire someone to complete this job but is there anything that I should ask for specifically. For example a certain kind of wood, screws etc?

Whats a standard house deck made out of?

Thanks
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure what you mean by moved and put away? Most decks are built with pressure treated lumber but it sounds like you need it built with Trex. An 8X12 deck will be pretty heavy regardless of the material used so you will need a few strong friends to move it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
lol at "putting away" a 100sqft deck for the winter
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
RCGA wrote: lol at "putting away" a 100sqft deck for the winter
If you understood the context in what it is being used for, you would understand. Perhaps deck was the wrong word. Platform would be better.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You'd be better off just building a stone patio since you want it so low to the ground. Your going to need to build a flat base to set the deck on anyways.

Decks are built with pressure treated wood, and if you want it to be maintenance free then you'll have to use composite deck boards which will substantially increase the cost
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: If you understood the context in what it is being used for, you would understand. Perhaps deck was the wrong word. Platform would be better.
Well maybe you could explain the context?
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
8x12 would be very difficult to store; if the frame isn't extremley rigid it will take a bend if stored on its side etc. Probably best to build 2 sections 8x6 that bolt together-easier to handle the 2 sections and put away somewhere.
Is 6" high is the total height or the clearance under the deck? I would build the frame out of brown pressure treated lumber, hopefully 2x8"s

Seen a similar platform (3 sections bolted together on deck blocks) to what you need on shore leading out to a dock...it was all put away in the fall so snowmobiles store under the house didn't travel over it.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
Anyone know of cheap deck screws (APCQ) rated: I've had a alert on here for a year, nothing's triggered....

Cheers
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
vodka wrote: Anyone know of cheap deck screws (APCQ) rated: I've had a alert on here for a year, nothing's triggered....

Cheers
I've got a box of 4000 I'll sell.. Or try brafasco, they are usually decent price depending on the discount they apply
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
RCGA wrote: Well maybe you could explain the context?
It's to be put in front of a food truck so when it rains customers are not standing in water. Parking lot is not paved, it's gravel only and water pooling is an issue in front of the service window.

Landlord won't allow a permanent deck which is my ideal situation as she is concerned with snow plowing issues. So the deck needs to be built and be movable each season. The deck only needs to move 20 feet and be stored behind the truck for the winter as it's an empty field behind the truck.

It will have to be re-leveled each year but I can deal with that. I also have no issues with the weight of moving it as 4-5 guys can move 400 lbs 20 feet pretty easily.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: 8x12 would be very difficult to store; if the frame isn't extremley rigid it will take a bend if stored on its side etc. Probably best to build 2 sections 8x6 that bolt together-easier to handle the 2 sections and put away somewhere.
Is 6" high is the total height or the clearance under the deck? I would build the frame out of brown pressure treated lumber, hopefully 2x8"s

Seen a similar platform (3 sections bolted together on deck blocks) to what you need on shore leading out to a dock...it was all put away in the fall so snowmobiles store under the house didn't travel over it.
It's Total height to prevent customers from standing on water. I was under the impression that building it in 2 sections wasn't ideal. Customers would be walking on this thing all day long and 2 sections would make it much harder to level properly? I want a nice flat surace with no lips where the 2 decks would meet
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
You could install the deck on deck blocks which can keep it level to some degree, but I'm not sure how high those deck blocks are; they may be a bit higher then you want.
You can also incorporate in the design a place to add 2 wheels, so when it's time to remove it all you need to do is tilt the whole deck and wheel it away. Someone suggested in 2 pieces; put a hinge in the middle then you can flip the one piece of the other, makes the whole thing smaller and easier to carry and store... etc, etc..
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
schade wrote: I've got a box of 4000 I'll sell.. Or try brafasco, they are usually decent price depending on the discount they apply
Well I'm in Montreal, so that won't work :)
thanks though
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Are you only using this when it rains?

Where do you plan on storing it?

A one-piece, wet, 8x12 PT deck is going to be wickedly heavy, even for 4 guys

I'd do some sort of 4x4 framing @ 16 OC with 3/4 PT plywood and affix some of those rubber square decking tiles they have at Costco.

You'd screw your 4x4 framing, they screw down your plywood in sections.

Shouldn't take 4 guys any longer than 30min to assemble and disassemble.
Let's hug it out
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
vodka wrote: Anyone know of cheap deck screws (APCQ) rated: I've had a alert on here for a year, nothing's triggered....

Cheers
Tamarack in Burlington though I found the quality (twist and break with impact) to be not as good as the bulk supply ones at Home Hardware in 2008 and then again for 2 more for friends in 2014ish
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
HghSsociety wrote: This is what I am looking for without the ramp. it's not my food truck but it demonstrates what i am looking for

https://imgur.com/ATGoRyL
What you need is a dock, not a deck. Aluminum framing with removable boards on top. Docks are built for this exact purpose and come in all shapes and sizes. We used to have 4x8” sections of PT dock frame and top and it took a crew of 4 strong dude to move each piece from the water to land. Some aluminum docks come with wheel accessories to make it easier to move around too

Why not look into modular docking like Jetfloat or Ezdock? We have jet float at the cottage and its great stuff though if I were to do it all over again I would have done EzDock.

No idea of your budget, but those might get you started.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Tamarack in Burlington though I found the quality (twist and break with impact) to be not as good as the bulk supply ones at Home Hardware in 2008 and then again for 2 more for friends in 2014ish
We don't have a Tamarack but based on your comments I would skip on those :)
Last time I bought some, it was from CT and they were on sale for $29 for these: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hillm ... 0124p.html

I haven't had ANY every break in my wood projects, once in a while there was a badly bent one out of the box. As I have 2 decks to build this summer I'm looking to load up when they come on sale..