Home & Garden

Deck Boards - Are these Meant for Outdoors?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2021 7:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
945 posts
75 upvotes
London

Deck Boards - Are these Meant for Outdoors?

I had a contractor come out and place down some boards on my decking to fill a gap between the floor and the fence. I am confused why these new boards look so discolored relative to my new brown PT wood fence.

Can you tell me if this floor board is meant to be used outdoors in the elements to the same degree as my brown fence? The fence and flooring are 2 days old. Nothing has been stained. The floor boards were installed 1 day after the fence.

9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3832 posts
873 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
That's pressure treated lumber designed for outdoor use. The fence might actually be cedar, hard to tell.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1175 posts
887 upvotes
rosario99 wrote: I had a contractor come out and place down some boards on my decking to fill a gap between the floor and the fence. I am confused why these new boards look so discolored relative to my new brown PT wood fence.

Can you tell me if this floor board is meant to be used outdoors in the elements to the same degree as my brown fence? The fence and flooring are 2 days old. Nothing has been stained. The floor boards were installed 1 day after the fence.
So the simple solution is that its just a different brand, method, etc, so they look different.

The more detailed answer is that KDHT the treatment is applied after its dried and heat treated, whereas the other lumber could be KDAT where the treatment is applied before treatment. Its also possible that your contractor just bought some KDHT SPF and applied some treatment himself.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4687 posts
4764 upvotes
Vancouver
Depending how new the PT wood is, you don't stain it right away. Let it dry for at least a few months.
Oct 2, 2017
760 posts
532 upvotes
jacquesstrap wrote: You do not NEED to stain PT wood.
you do if you care about how it looks
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10216 posts
5441 upvotes
Paris
Scote64 wrote: Depending how new the PT wood is, you don't stain it right away. Let it dry for at least a few months.
Recommendation from most PT suppliers is to let it dry a full year before putting any wood protectant on it.

As for OP, he used green PT instead of the brown. Once upon a time, green was the only option.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1659 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
azmongold wrote: you do if you care about how it looks
Natural fences can and do look great. A nicely installed fence with good quality lumber will age to a beautiful silver/weathered grey. Staining a fence means maintenance (scraping/sanding/pressure washing and re-staining the whole fence every few years), and can also come out blotchy if not applied properly and evenly.

Either way, my original point was that you do not NEED to stain a PT fence, and telling folks that is just wrong. It's personal preference and you can do it if you want, but by no means is it mandatory
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4687 posts
4764 upvotes
Vancouver
Jerico wrote: Recommendation from most PT suppliers is to let it dry a full year before putting any wood protectant on it.
The recommendations vary widely. I've seen everything from a month to a year. The mean seems to be about 3 months. Obviously it depends on conditions. If the wood has been sitting on the outside of a pile for months before you buy it, and then it's outdoors in hot dry sunny summer weather, it will be dry much faster.