Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5543 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto

Deck pergola covering

Thinking of adding some sort of retractable covering for our deck. About half the length of the deck has this roof/ceiling or whatever it supposed to called thing. Is there something simple/cheap option I can add on top of the pergola ? Doesn't have to be solid light blocking. Some light filtering through would be better I think.
Aluminum or polycarbonate panels would probably be the easiest, but obviously not retractable.

Any suggestion?
deckroof.jpg

EDIT: edited title to pergola
Last edited by boyohboy on Aug 29th, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8031 posts
9006 upvotes
Montréal
some kind of fabric tarp would do the job. Search for ''pergola with canopy'' to give you some ideas
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
It’s a pergola.
GOOGLE = Pergola Shade Options

You can do something permanent up top
(Although I would not … it’ll cheapen the look of a pergola)
Or you can do something retractable below
(Shades that move)

Last option…
You can train vines / grapes etc to grow up & over if you are interested in gardening
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5543 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: some kind of fabric tarp would do the job. Search for ''pergola with canopy'' to give you some ideas
PointsHubby wrote: It’s a pergola.
GOOGLE = Pergola Shade Options

You can do something permanent up top
(Although I would not … it’ll cheapen the look of a pergola)
Or you can do something retractable below
(Shades that move)

Last option…
You can train vines / grapes etc to grow up & over if you are interested in gardening
Thanks, edited title.

Yeah a retractable option is definitely my first choice. Saw some retractable shade fabric in HD, but all for vertical use. Seems alot of the online pergola top coverings include the pergola structure itself....
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
boyohboy wrote: Thanks, edited title.

Yeah a retractable option is definitely my first choice. Saw some retractable shade fabric in HD, but all for vertical use. Seems alot of the online pergola top coverings include the pergola structure itself....
Here’s a decent DIY example for Curtains & Shades
I really like the shade set up

If you aren’t that handy with a sewing machine etc
You could prob still use the idea by buying a good size set of replacement shades for the size of your pergola
They gotta make replacements for all these pergolas they sell online as you say

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5543 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Here’s a decent DIY example for Curtains & Shades
I really like the shade set up

If you aren’t that handy with a sewing machine etc
You could prob still use the idea by buying a good size set of replacement shades for the size of your pergola
They gotta make replacements for all these pergolas they sell online as you say
OK handy I guess. But yeah will def need a fair bit of DIY if not buying a new pergola package.

One key word is "below" it. the Pergola is attached to house, on the left side of picture. And it's right at on top of kitchen window. Wish previous owner would build it a foot higher, oh well. So having the shade fabric, when retracted, hanging down will be very visibly blocking when look out from kitchen. Perhaps won't be that noticeable? Or perhaps have the shade retract to the far side (right side of picture). Or perhaps have the fabric above the pergola but will that look weird?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
You could install a retractable awning above the pergola.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5543 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: You could install a retractable awning above the pergola.
Thanks. Did look at awning but cost will be $2000+ for the size I need. Hoping for something cheaper but guess have to DIY.