Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1647 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto

Deck refinishing/restoration

Looking for recommendations on deck refinishing/restoration companies. Moving into a home and would like the deck to be restained and sanded. Would appreciate experiences and cost of what you spent for reference.

Located on Vaughan. Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1916 posts
448 upvotes
Easy to do it yourself, if it’s wood get deck cleaner by Thompson, spray it on wit a weed sprayer, let it sit for 20-30 min and pressure washer it down.
Your deck look 100 times better already, let it dry completely, put on the stain colour of your choice, in a few hours your done and enjoy your new deck, just did this a few weeks ago.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23570 posts
22531 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rotjong wrote: Easy to do it yourself, if it’s wood get deck cleaner by Thompson, spray it on wit a weed sprayer, let it sit for 20-30 min and pressure washer it down.
Your deck look 100 times better already, let it dry completely, put on the stain colour of your choice, in a few hours your done and enjoy your new deck, just did this a few weeks ago.
This

Relatively easy job if you buy the right products
And a great sense of accomplishment, in addition to being a money saver

Here’s a great thread from last summer by @boyohboy
huge-old-deck-sand-stain-2366978/

Check out his BEFORE PICS in Post # 1
Then the AFTER PICS in Post # 47 on Pg 3
Job well done !
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2526 posts
3381 upvotes
West GTA
rotjong wrote: Easy to do it yourself, if it’s wood get deck cleaner by Thompson, spray it on wit a weed sprayer, let it sit for 20-30 min and pressure washer it down.
This is only true if you have never stained the deck and it's in fairly good condition. If it is splintery or has had a worn out stain already applied, then it's a lot more work to fix. It can involve using a stripper and brightener or power sanding the deck for example. You can DIY that (I did), but it's a lot of work. If you have a bigger, older deck and a film forming stain, it can easily take a few days of work to remove the existing stain, repair and prep the surface and then apply a new (high quality) stain.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1647 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
grumble wrote: This is only true if you have never stained the deck and it's in fairly good condition. If it is splintery or has had a worn out stain already applied, then it's a lot more work to fix. It can involve using a stripper and brightener or power sanding the deck for example. You can DIY that (I did), but it's a lot of work. If you have a bigger, older deck and a film forming stain, it can easily take a few days of work to remove the existing stain, repair and prep the surface and then apply a new (high quality) stain.
Yes, the deck needs some sanding to smooth out the surface. I've got paint and other work to do in the house when we move in so I really don't have time to sand, strip and stain the deck. Just hoping to have it ready for my kids and wife to enjoy once we move in.
Feb 26, 2019
607 posts
659 upvotes
Ottawa
This forum has a bit of an allergy to Kijiji handymen (rightfully so, in many cases). But this kind of project might be a good candidate for joe-blow off Kijiji. Nothing technical here just need elbow grease and a few hours (days) work.

Another option is to hire a neighborhood teenager for a few days. I did this for some grunt work when I moved into a new house. Has an added benefit of building a bit of goodwill with new neighbours. Builds connection in community, gives the kid a worthwhile experience, and a few bucks in his/her pocket.