• May 25th, 2019 1:50 am
[OP]
Sep 26, 2007
593 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto

Deck renovation help

Hi there,
I've been putting it off to redo our deck for the past 2 years but this year, I have decided to redo our deck with a very tight budget but after getting a few quotes, my budget is not enough to redo the basis decking. The deck is fairly large 41.5 ft x 12 ft and I've been getting all kinds of pricing which makes me all worried and who to pick.
Ideally, I'm looking for a maintenance free or easy to maintain deck but there's no such thing unless i go with composite material which doubles the price.

Contractor 1 (working in my neighborhood quoted me $14,500 for all wood decking and wood railing and for $2,500 more, I can replace the wood railing with all aluminum railings.
For composite option, it is almost double the price at $32k with Aluminum railing/ temper glass..

Contract 2 quoted for the same job gave me a price of $18.5k for wood decking/railing.

Contractor 3 = above $21k with a new sod. (approx 180sqft)

So, what's a reasonable price for this size deck?

Any advice on a cheaper options?
Thank you.
7 replies
Jan 19, 2017
669 posts
681 upvotes
Kitchener
Have you looked under and reviewed the structure of the deck? Often, the structure is ok, but planking/sheathing is all that needs replacement.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11878 posts
8134 upvotes
Edmonton
jmichou wrote: Hi there,
I've been putting it off to redo our deck for the past 2 years but this year, I have decided to redo our deck with a very tight budget but after getting a few quotes, my budget is not enough to redo the basis decking. The deck is fairly large 41.5 ft x 12 ft and I've been getting all kinds of pricing which makes me all worried and who to pick.
Ideally, I'm looking for a maintenance free or easy to maintain deck but there's no such thing unless i go with composite material which doubles the price.

Contractor 1 (working in my neighborhood quoted me $14,500 for all wood decking and wood railing and for $2,500 more, I can replace the wood railing with all aluminum railings.
For composite option, it is almost double the price at $32k with Aluminum railing/ temper glass..

Contract 2 quoted for the same job gave me a price of $18.5k for wood decking/railing.

Contractor 3 = above $21k with a new sod. (approx 180sqft)

So, what's a reasonable price for this size deck?

Any advice on a cheaper options?
Thank you.
Nobody can tell you if it's a good price or not, because we don't know the actual situation. What actually needs to be replaced, etc.

If the first contractor is doing work in your neighborhood, at least you can go over and take a look at their work. If you don't know what you're looking for, that might not help much, however.

C
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes
When I re-did my deck, the structure of the deck was sound so I took off the boards and replaced them with new pressure treated wood. This was the most cost effective route I could find. It takes a bit of labour though. If you are on a tight budget and the structure of the deck is sound, I would go this route. Honestly, you don't even need to be very handy to do this. Just requires basic tools: crowbar, hammer, drill and saw, plus materials.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2569 posts
1541 upvotes
Toronto, ON
buttertarts wrote: When I re-did my deck, the structure of the deck was sound so I took off the boards and replaced them with new pressure treated wood. This was the most cost effective route I could find. It takes a bit of labour though. If you are on a tight budget and the structure of the deck is sound, I would go this route. Honestly, you don't even need to be very handy to do this. Just requires basic tools: crowbar, hammer, drill and saw, plus materials.
As someone in the same boat. Outside of a visual inspection, is there anything else I need to do to assure the structure is sound? Are there any thing that I should look out for? I just made sure the wood wasn't rotten, which it ain't.
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes
canoek wrote: As someone in the same boat. Outside of a visual inspection, is there anything else I need to do to assure the structure is sound? Are there any thing that I should look out for? I just made sure the wood wasn't rotten, which it ain't.
Basically I did a visual inspection. Looking for rot and decay, as well as checking any metal connections were solid.
Oct 2, 2018
389 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
Composite is an option but some threads indicate that it can heat up pretty bad if you have a sunny yard, also the fact is can be expensive compared to other options.

If you are handy think about doing it yourself, a few weekends and a few cases of beer with some buddies who are handy can go a long way.

For costing either way it is going to be expensive, but without knowing details hard know what is reasonable. Is the frame being rebuilt, are new posts (and cement piles) being placed, type of wood pressure treated or cedar, full deck or just upper boards, tied to house or floating (not attached to house).

My desk is two tier about 14 feet by 12 feet upper, 14 feet by 16 feet lower. First time everything new including posts and piles, rebuilt after 15 to 18 years but only had to do the upper surface boards. All work i did myself with some friends as the cost of getting it built was just way too expensive for my situation.

Why not get a simple design from home depot / lowes to get a proper costing of materials as this service is free, then you can decide if you can tackle the job or take the quote you receive and subtract material and you will get an estimate of the labour portion. Material is not cheap these days, you might be surprised on the total.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
Doing it yourself, also factor in the cost of getting rid of your own wood, which might not be cheap either (I'm assuming taking away the old was part of the quotes). Regarding composite, my father in law had that at his old house. Eon I think was the stuff he used. Looked great, was relatively simple to install himself. Hotter than hell in even moderate sun. You definitely had to wear something on your feet and even just sitting out there, you could feel the heat coming off it. One of the original intents for using composite was so the grandkids didn't get slivers. Didn't think about the second degree burns they risked lol.

Anyway, if the structure of your deck is sound and depending on if there is any tricky stuff or awkward height, if it's a basic one level rectangle, I would do it myself. 12 foot deck 5/4x6 deck boards are about 10 bucks each, so about $1000 for that, plus screws, and another $1000-1500 or more for a railing, depending on the various types you go for. I've used the ones that are the black aluminum round balusters with the pre-drilled top and bottom rails before, and it looks good all finished off, about 90 bucks per 6 foot section, plus posts and whatever you run along the top to finish it off.