• May 26th, 2017 1:02 pm
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Deck Renovation Recommendations and Options

Hi Guys,

Time has come for me to fix my deck in my fixer upper house and I am looking for advices, options and processes on how to do it as I am going to be doing it for the first time in my life.

I do have various saws and tools to help me with project. I am ok with handy work, although I started to do renovations at my place 2-3 years ago, so take it easy on me and I will appreciate your patience.

I took some pictures to give an idea of the project that I have to do, please see below.

This how this deck looks right now:

I haven’t seen the whole picture under the deck but this is how it looks like from one opening that there is. Overall it didn’t look very bad under there. Deck doesn’t squeak and feels well built. That said I will have to investigate it in more details.

There is also a Jacuzzi on this deck that I want to remove. I am not sure if it is in working condition but it doesn’t seem to leak. What do you think I should do with this? Break it apart and threw it away or it makes sense to sell it on Kijji for example? How much would I get for it if I am just to sell the shell of the tub without working electrical parts and water tubes?

Let me know what you think. What are my options and from what I should start.

Ideally I want to restore the deck with replacing small pieces of wood here and there, then just repainting or restraining the deck, and removing Jacuzzi too.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Ildasm
6 replies
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
From what I have been told so far, I should replace the wood with pressure treated #1-grade lumber. What do you think guys and how much does it usually costs? Any good places to buy pressure treated #1-grade lumber somewhere close to Burlington?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1604 upvotes
Alliston, ON
If it were my deck, I'd remove all the deck boards and install new ones. That way you can see what the framing is like underneath. From the pictures there doesn't appear to be any bolts connecting the beams to the main posts, just nails. You are also going to have to add framing where the hot tub is now.
The PT deck boards that HD/Lowes/Rona sell are good. Pair it with a 15% off sale that happens often and you can save quite a bit. Don't buy the new Grey deck boards that Lowe's sells... Apparently they are complete garbage after sitting in the sun
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
If it was me, I'd strip off all the existing deck material, and start from there. Personally, I don't like all the support/pergola pieces, the partial railing, etc. The two level areas are fine; you could have one for dining, one for food prep (probably the smaller hot tub area).

As far as the hot tub goes, offer it "As is" for someone to haul out of there. Hard to ask for much money if you don't know what the state is. I suspect you'll be lucky to not have to haul it to the dump yourself. Same with the old decking material. If you can get it off mostly intact and can get someone to pick it up, you'll be in good shape.

As far as new material... You don't give a budget. I'd prefer to go with one of the composites, then cedar, then PT as a last resort. That's my preference. When the decking material is off is a good time to think about running a gas line for a BBQ or patio heater, if that's something that you might want.

C
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
This is what I was planning to:
1) Do initial power wash to remove dirt and some paint from deck
2) Use some kind of pain/stain remover from local store to remove even more paint and stain
3) Sand the wood until getting to desired color and removing all old paint
5) Make sure that all nails and screws are tight and nailed down on outside and inside
4) Remove and replace all broken and rotten wood pieces
6) Make sure that all posts, handrails and balusters are secure and structurally sound. Replace any pieces that’s needed
7) Remove jacuzzi piece by piece
8) Build some kind of frame where jacuzzi used to be from pressure treated wood
9) Redeck old Jacuzzi space with pressure treated lumber
10) Apply wood brighter/conditioner
11) Stain or Seal

Let me know if you think I am missing any steps. I will also try to save old pressure treated wood as much as I can. From what I can see myself, most of old wood can be saved and refinished. Let me know if you think otherwise and which big pieces you think are not recoverable
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I have one more question and it could be a silly one.

After I will remove old paint/stain with painter remover and sanding, is it ok to leave unprotected pressure wood for sometime before I am going to stain/seal it?

My guess is that's ok since pressure wood is designed to withstand weather and moisture, but I just want to reconfirm.

Thank you,

Ildasm
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1604 upvotes
Alliston, ON
By stripping the deck, your removing any protection those boards had. The treatment on Pt boards is only on the outside of the boards, it doesn't get soaked right through the board

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)