• Apr 10th, 2021 3:21 pm
[OP]
Jun 20, 2005
168 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto

Deck Stain - Cutek Extreme

Hi All,

I have decided to go with Cutek Extreme to stain a two year old deck that hasn't been treated due to the many recommendations on this site! I am debating between the Walnut and the Chestnut. I don't want something looking too orange but also think Walnut looks really dark in some pictures. Can anyone comment on using either stain colour?

Also, do I need to use a lambswool applicator? If so, where do I get this?
116 replies
Dec 25, 2006
586 posts
456 upvotes
Ottawa
I know that I am not really answering your question, but I would go clear. I much prefer the natural look. That's just my opinion though. Also my deck is south facing, and it turns into a hotplate with anything dark.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2831 posts
1300 upvotes
Mississauga
ZSupraZ wrote: Hi All,

I have decided to go with Cutek Extreme to stain a two year old deck that hasn't been treated due to the many recommendations on this site! I am debating between the Walnut and the Chestnut. I don't want something looking too orange but also think Walnut looks really dark in some pictures. Can anyone comment on using either stain colour?

Also, do I need to use a lambswool applicator? If so, where do I get this?
You can mix in half the colourtone or double the colourtone depending on how dark you want to go.

@schade has a good comparison pic here buying-quality-deck-stains-canada-twp-d ... #p27944316

Helped me choose walnut for mine. 1 can of colourtone and two coats

marksmithy69 wrote: I know that I am not really answering your question, but I would go clear. I much prefer the natural look. That's just my opinion though. Also my deck is south facing, and it turns into a hotplate with anything dark.
Cutek Extreme is sold clear but without colourtone the wood will still age to silver patina because of exposure to sunlight even with re-coats. This is different from drying out.
Last edited by bubuski on Apr 7th, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I used Cutek for my deck. I went with Chestnut (2nd from right on sample pic) , but I used 2 colourtones per gallon to give it a bit darker colour initially but it helped the colour last a bit longer. When I was deciding I bought a few of the small sample cans to do some test boards to help decide on the colour.

Yes you want to use a lambs wool applicator. I got mine from Steels Paint in Vaughn, but amazon has some available too
Images
  • 687474703a2f2f772e64616d2d696d672e726664636f6e74656e742e636f6d2f636d732f3030332f3036332f3737332f31303030783536335f736d6172745f6669742e6a7067.jpeg
  • 3055383_original (1).jpg
  • 3055384_original.jpg
[OP]
Jun 20, 2005
168 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks @bubuski and @schade

I assume in your pic of 4 boards, the far left one is Walnut? Is that with 1 colourtone?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
ZSupraZ wrote: Thanks @bubuski and @schade

I assume in your pic of 4 boards, the far left one is Walnut? Is that with 1 colourtone?
That's correct, the left one is Walnut with 1 colourtone but 2 coats of stain
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5136 posts
2081 upvotes
its too bad Cutek is so expensive. I'm being quoted $140 per gallon + another $17 per color can of color.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
BenK wrote: its too bad Cutek is so expensive. I'm being quoted $140 per gallon + another $17 per color can of color.
Who quoted you that?? It should be $110 + $10 per colourtone
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5136 posts
2081 upvotes
schade wrote: Who quoted you that?? It should be $110 + $10 per colourtone
none of the home hardwares seem to have it in stock at that price. The only small shop that picked up the phone in west GTA was The Deck Store and that's what they're quoting over the phone
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
BenK wrote: none of the home hardwares seem to have it in stock at that price. The only small shop that picked up the phone in west GTA was The Deck Store and that's what they're quoting over the phone
The deck store is expensive for everything I found. Try exotic Woods in Burlington or Deck masters of Canada, just north of GTA
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1467 posts
218 upvotes
schade wrote: I used Cutek for my deck. I went with Chestnut (2nd from right on sample pic) , but I used 2 colourtones per gallon to give it a bit darker colour initially but it helped the colour last a bit longer. When I was deciding I bought a few of the small sample cans to do some test boards to help decide on the colour.

Yes you want to use a lambs wool applicator. I got mine from Steels Paint in Vaughn, but amazon has some available too
Hi, didn’t the wool pull when u were brushing it?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
snipe2014 wrote: Hi, didn’t the wool pull when u were brushing it?
Nope, no problem at all using the lambs wool pad
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1467 posts
218 upvotes
schade wrote: Nope, no problem at all using the lambs wool pad
I just went and bought from steels paint. Hopefully it gives me no issues.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4301 posts
1663 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
We had a deck built about 9 months ago and it is constructed using pressure treated lumber. If I were to go ahead and use Cutek on it this season would I need to go through the process of the Cutek cleaning products or would a solid washing be sufficient?

As well does anywhere have colour chips for Cutek? I’m in no rush so can wait until stores reopen for this but want to know if there’s any chance of seeing some. I know my wife and know it will be borderline impossible for a decision to be made without them. Ha ha. We have grey siding on one side (it’s “attached” to a detached garage). Brown painted trim work along the ceiling to match a bronze ceiling fan.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
ChicoQuente wrote: We had a deck built about 9 months ago and it is constructed using pressure treated lumber. If I were to go ahead and use Cutek on it this season would I need to go through the process of the Cutek cleaning products or would a solid washing be sufficient?

As well does anywhere have colour chips for Cutek? I’m in no rush so can wait until stores reopen for this but want to know if there’s any chance of seeing some. I know my wife and know it will be borderline impossible for a decision to be made without them. Ha ha. We have grey siding on one side (it’s “attached” to a detached garage). Brown painted trim work along the ceiling to match a bronze ceiling fan.
Try exotic Woods in Burlington. They might have the small premixed sample cans that you can buy and test out different colours.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2831 posts
1300 upvotes
Mississauga
Exotic woodss did not have the samples when I visited but they did have the different colours stained on pressure treated wood. Similar to the image below so that could help
https://www.thedeckstore.ca/blog/cutek- ... n-calgary/

The Australian website has free samples and they left the option available for shipping to Canadian addresses. Worth a try.
https://www.cutek.com.au/order-free-sample/
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4301 posts
1663 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
schade wrote: Try exotic Woods in Burlington. They might have the small premixed sample cans that you can buy and test out different colours.
bubuski wrote: Exotic woodss did not have the samples when I visited but they did have the different colours stained on pressure treated wood. Similar to the image below so that could help
https://www.thedeckstore.ca/blog/cutek- ... n-calgary/

The Australian website has free samples and they left the option available for shipping to Canadian addresses. Worth a try.
https://www.cutek.com.au/order-free-sample/
Thanks for the advice guys. When (if) the world returns to normalish times I’ll go to Exotic Woods. Even just seeing those samples on pressure treated wood I think would be super helpful. The PT that was used has that brownish tint to it already so I have no idea how things will turn out on top of it. I hope it can be done okay.

This is going to be a dumb question but the rated sq ft on the can is total right? For example if it says 100 sq ft and my patio is 100 sq ft I need 2 cans to do 2 coats? I assume when it says coverage it does not factor in 2 coats?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
ChicoQuente wrote: Thanks for the advice guys. When (if) the world returns to normalish times I’ll go to Exotic Woods. Even just seeing those samples on pressure treated wood I think would be super helpful. The PT that was used has that brownish tint to it already so I have no idea how things will turn out on top of it. I hope it can be done okay.

This is going to be a dumb question but the rated sq ft on the can is total right? For example if it says 100 sq ft and my patio is 100 sq ft I need 2 cans to do 2 coats? I assume when it says coverage it does not factor in 2 coats?
Deck Masters of Canada (near hwy 400 and 88) has the sample cans, that's where I bought mine. They can probably even ship them.

The coverage they advertise is pretty close I found. The second coat uses probably a third as much as you did on the first coat, maybe even less
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4301 posts
1663 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
schade wrote: Deck Masters of Canada (near hwy 400 and 88) has the sample cans, that's where I bought mine. They can probably even ship them.

The coverage they advertise is pretty close I found. The second coat uses probably a third as much as you did on the first coat, maybe even less
I’ll check out Exotic Wood in the future and see the boards in person and then order a sample if we feel we need further testing (we will! Ha ha)

Just to confirm, 100sq ft coverage on can (just using an easy number for argument sake) means 100sq ft at 1 coat? And a deck over 100sq ft would need 2 cans to get 2 coats.