Home & Garden

Deck Stairs (Pressure-Treated Lumber) - Need Paint/Stain?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2015 6:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6337 posts
1063 upvotes

Deck Stairs (Pressure-Treated Lumber) - Need Paint/Stain?

Had the stairs to my deck taken apart and built from scratch last summer. The stairs (steps) themselves are made with pressure-treated lumber.

Do the stairs need painting/staining to prolong their life? If so, what product would you recommend?
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
The same product you are using on your deck.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13422 posts
7672 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: The same product you are using on your deck.
Well, yes. If you have a stain on the deck already, you want to match that.

If stating fresh, my favorite stain is Cabot. I just did my 5 year old cedar deck that has never been treated with anything, and it looks great. Aside for the edges I did a bit too thick with a brush, but that is my mistake.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6337 posts
1063 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Well, yes. If you have a stain on the deck already, you want to match that.

If stating fresh, my favorite stain is Cabot. I just did my 5 year old cedar deck that has never been treated with anything, and it looks great. Aside for the edges I did a bit too thick with a brush, but that is my mistake.
My deck is covered and has a vinyl surface... So really, I'm staring from scratch to determine (a) first of all, whether it needs to be done at all, and (b) what the best product for the job would be.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13422 posts
7672 upvotes
Arrow wrote: My deck is covered and has a vinyl surface... So really, I'm staring from scratch to determine (a) first of all, whether it needs to be done at all, and (b) what the best product for the job would be.
Has the deck every been stained before, or is it just raw wood?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6337 posts
1063 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Has the deck every been stained before, or is it just raw wood?
Deck is covered in vinyl and doesn't need any work.

The Stairs is what I am wondering about. Never been stained or painted. Was installed last summer. Raw wood. Pressure treated lumber.
Thanks!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13422 posts
7672 upvotes
Arrow wrote: Deck is covered in vinyl and doesn't need any work.

The Stairs is what I am wondering about. Never been stained or painted. Was installed last summer. Raw wood. Pressure treated lumber.
Thanks!
If it was pressure treated, and only a year old. I would just leave it as is for now, for long as you are happy with the color.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
Just coat whatever you cut and don't touch it with bare hands.