Personal Finance

Declaring expense for Rental Property

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2018 9:43 am
Sep 27, 2016
51 posts

Declaring expense for Rental Property

I am wondering with a rental property if a tenant was successful at taking you to the residential tenancy board and they got an abatement of rent (a judgement) can you expense that? If so would it be captured under other?

example - a tenant leased a home in 2016 moved part way out and in 2017 requested an abatement for the months they were renting it in 2016. They were successful for say 2 months of rent and a judgement was paid in 2017. Can this be expensed or would it be a loss from 2016 that carries forward for the gross rent in 2017?
1 reply
Feb 3, 2015
45 posts
It would be reported in the year you received it- 2017


Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)