Dedicated GPU vs. Integrated Graphics for Dell Inspiron 16 Plus Laptop

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2021 3:11 am
[OP]
Aug 3, 2007
655 posts
301 upvotes

Dedicated GPU vs. Integrated Graphics for Dell Inspiron 16 Plus Laptop

I'm looking to partially replace my desktop with a laptop, given the price difference of i7-11800H vs. i7-11800H + NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3050 4 GB GDDR6 is only $227 after all discounts and taxes, is it better to get the one with RTX™ 3050?

I'm not into gaming or video editing and both the longevity of the motherboard (less heat from integrated GPU) and longer battery life are more important to me.

Would it be ridiculous to buy the one with RTX 3050 but use the built in GPU to reduce heat and pro-long battery life or can I even remove the RTX 3050 cards?

I think the only situation where I would make use of the RTX 3050 is when I need to hook it up to a 4K TV.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7415 posts
8111 upvotes
Toronto
Ben07 wrote: I'm looking to partially replace my desktop with a laptop, given the price difference of i7-11800H vs. i7-11800H + NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3050 4 GB GDDR6 is only $227 after all discounts and taxes, is it better to get the one with RTX™ 3050?

I'm not into gaming or video editing and both the longevity of the motherboard (less heat from integrated GPU) and longer battery life are more important to me.

Would it be ridiculous to buy the one with RTX 3050 but use the built in GPU to reduce heat and pro-long battery life or can I even remove the RTX 3050 cards?

I think the only situation where I would make use of the RTX 3050 is when I need to hook it up to a 4K TV.
No, you can not remove the RTX 3050 GPU, it is soldered on to the system board

Major components of Inspiron 16 7610

You can use NVIDIA Advanced Optimus to configure when the GPU is being used.

NVIDIA Advanced Optimus Overview

I would get the RTX 3050 config since the integrated graphics are not the faster Intel Xe

Almost an XPS 16: Dell Inspiron 16 Plus 7610 laptop review
Last edited by Dhanushan on Sep 7th, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1563 posts
500 upvotes
Kitchener
https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-R ... 598.0.html

With a dedicated GPU, it will likely drain the battery faster when using heavy GPU loads. But if you are just watching a video it might only use the integrated GPU, providing the same battery life.

If you plan to have the laptop for a long time, go with the dedicated GPU. It is about 3x the performance, you never know when you might need it. You can't upgrade it later on!
[OP]
Aug 3, 2007
655 posts
301 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: No, you can not remove the RTX 3050 GPU, it is soldered on to the system board

Major components of Inspiron 16 7610

You can use NVIDIA Advanced Optimus to configure when the GPU is being used.

NVIDIA Advanced Optimus Overview

I would get the RTX 3050 config since the integrated graphics are not the faster Intel Xe

Almost an XPS 16: Dell Inspiron 16 Plus 7610 laptop review
Yes, just UHD 750 and not the better Iris® Xe graphics.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2007
655 posts
301 upvotes
SomeGuyGG wrote: With a dedicated GPU, it will likely drain the battery faster when using heavy GPU loads. But if you are just watching a video it might only use the integrated GPU, providing the same battery life.
Good to know, thanks and I'll go with the RTX 3050.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7415 posts
8111 upvotes
Toronto
Ben07 wrote: Good to know, thanks and I'll go with the RTX 3050.
You should be able to force the system to use the Integrated graphics

Optimus
  • When the user selects this option, the display will switch to integrated GPU irrespective of any existing application running or the AC/DC state of the system.
  • Under this setting, the system will behave like MS Hybrid system. The rendering will follow the rules set in the 'program settings' or 'global settings' page under 'Manage 3D settings' of NV Control panel.

Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4705 posts
1167 upvotes
Coincidentally during the Rakuten 15% offer, I was deciding between the same two Inspiron 16 Plus. Due to having a powerful gaming desktop already and a need mostly for programming, I went with the model with just the Intel graphics.

It seems quite solid so far, and the interesting thing is that Dell has left the 11800H unlocked so you can use the Intel XTU utility and ThrottleStop to overclock, adjust the power limit up or down and undervolt.