• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2022 12:48 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes

Deffected floor White Oak with black fillers

hi everyone,
Got a new house (few days ago) from Tamarack but the white oak floor is with black fillers. I thought it's mold. Not sure yet. I started to ask and it's probably black fillers. For me it looks ugly. I paid for upgrade and it was never mentioned that it will be with black spots. The inspector said that some people have complains but not many. He refused to put on PDI but when I sign papers with a lawyer I complained so she send the pictures to the lawyer of the builder. Also after the PDi I have sent email to customer service saying that the inspector refused to put in on PDI list and told me to send the email to them.

For me this floor is not acceptable. Any ideas how to force the builder to change the floor I have paid a lot of money. I have sent email but it will take weeks to have somebody coming to have a look. They are saying it's supplier.
Anyone was in similar situation? Looking also if someone has the same issue so we can combine our efforts

thanks in advance for any ideas or tips what to do in this situation
Images
  • 20210821_125722.jpg
  • 20210821_125726.jpg
  • 20210821_124137.jpg
  • 20210821_124114.jpg
  • 20210821_122615.jpg
Last edited by travelw9 on Aug 24th, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
83 replies
Jul 19, 2018
294 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
travelw9 wrote: hi everyone,
Got a new house (few days ago) from Tamarack but the white oak floor is with black fillers. I thought it's mold. Not sure yet. I started to ask and it's probably black fillers. For me it looks ugly. I paid for upgrade and it was never mentioned that it will be with black spots. The inspector said that some people have complains but not many. He refused to put on PDI but when I sign papers with a lawyer I complained so she send the pictures to the lawyer of the builder. Also after the PDi I have sent email to customer service saying that the inspector refused to put in on PDI list and told me to send the email to them.

For me this floor is not acceptable. Any ideas how to force the builder to change the floor I have paid a lot of money. I have sent email but it will take weeks to have somebody coming to have a look. They are saying it's supplier.
Anyone was in similar situation? Looking also if someone has the same issue so we can combine our efforts

thanks in advance for any ideas or tips what to do in this situation
This is not a defect. Its just the choice of color that is making it pop out more than usual. These are knots in the wood. Nothing can be done about it. Also the grade used by the builder makes the difference as well. unfortunately you cant force the builder to use Grade A material. It is at builders discretion. Most builders used the cheapest grade they can find for the money and that is probably what you got so you might have more knots than usual.
You might have a case if they are more than usual. Ma may be take a picture of the full floor area if you can to see how many knots you got and you might be able to argue but it is fairly difficult to get the builder to change it.
Aug 20, 2021
36 posts
40 upvotes
Was this prefinished engineered white oak? Did you know what flooring brand would be used before you signed?
May 7, 2015
693 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IrfanP53614 wrote: This is not a defect. Its just the choice of color that is making it pop out more than usual. These are knots in the wood. Nothing can be done about it. Also the grade used by the builder makes the difference as well. unfortunately you cant force the builder to use Grade A material. It is at builders discretion. Most builders used the cheapest grade they can find for the money and that is probably what you got so you might have more knots than usual.
You might have a case if they are more than usual. Ma may be take a picture of the full floor area if you can to see how many knots you got and you might be able to argue but it is fairly difficult to get the builder to change it.
No way these are knots.

Damn, I feel for you OP.
Joys of buying something you can’t see before hand I guess.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4585 posts
1826 upvotes
GTA
I am in no way an expert in this subject matter but that third picture makes me believe this is not knots in the wood but something else.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5224 posts
5262 upvotes
Ottawa
You should check out the construction guidelines to see if it is indeed a defect. Another option is to post on the hardwood flooring thread and see if the experts there can offer any advice.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
4498 posts
3659 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Looks like a very low grade floor with shitty filling. Not a defect, just a garbage product.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Pretty sure that is knots and defects that have been filled. We were looking at white oak flooring and saw a few like that.

Odds of you getting the builder to remove and replace all the flooring in your house are pretty slim I’d say, since you probably signed a piece of paper requesting that flooring and that’s the way it comes.

C
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
zakarydoks wrote: Looks like a very low grade floor with shitty filling. Not a defect, just a garbage product.
I agree that it's garbage but I paid for upgrade a lot of money for it and there is no single sample like this in design center, nobody told me that it will be black nots ...very upset
Last edited by travelw9 on Aug 24th, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: I am in no way an expert in this subject matter but that third picture makes me believe this is not knots in the wood but something else.
where to find any argument or any professional to say this is very low quality or something else to argue with a builder. If they would show me this shitty floor I would never order it.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
4498 posts
3659 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
travelw9 wrote: I agree that it's garbage but I paid for upgrade a lot of money for it and there is no single sample like this in design center, nobody told me that it will be black nots ...very upset
I agree with you. That should not be used in a home. Maybe for a "rustic" look in a coffee shop or something like that. Do you still have access to the samples or at least have pictures? Maybe you can argue misrepresentation but the agreement is usually ironclad. Maybe take it to the media, something like CBC marketplace since they love shitting on real estate. This is like showing full grain black nappa leather in the showroom then delivering black split suede in the actual car.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
yes I have pictures from design center (attached) and there is no small black dots there.
I don't understand how its possible and I could not imagine something like this can happened, specially for upgrade.
Good idea about CBC but not sure they would be interested. Somebody told me that I should pay them to put this on TV.
Just want to cry...
Images
  • 20210823_160256.jpg
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: I am in no way an expert in this subject matter but that third picture makes me believe this is not knots in the wood but something else.
Do you have an idea what it could be? Trying to find anything to be ready to fight with a builder.
Oct 14, 2010
570 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
travelw9 wrote: yes I have pictures from design center (attached) and there is no small black dots there.
I don't understand how its possible and I could not imagine something like this can happened, specially for upgrade.
Good idea about CBC but not sure they would be interested. Somebody told me that I should pay them to put this on TV.
Just want to cry...
That looks nothing like what they gave you.

You won't have to pay CBC they love taking a dump on builders and RE professionals. Just make sure you make your story look like a real sad sob story of a small consumer being shafted and no one will help...
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
budwizestest wrote: That looks nothing like what they gave you.

You won't have to pay CBC they love taking a dump on builders and RE professionals. Just make sure you make your story look like a real sad sob story of a small consumer being shafted and no one will help...
thanks! I will keep this in mind. Now waiting for a meeting with a builder and supplier (if it's happened) .
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
travelw9 wrote: Do you have an idea what it could be? Trying to find anything to be ready to fight with a builder.
You've taken your pictures and OP down, so it's kind of hard to compare...

C
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: You've taken your pictures and OP down, so it's kind of hard to compare...

C
what means OP down?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
travelw9 wrote: what means OP down?
Original Post. Or also Original Poster. Meaning you took your original post (with the pictures) down for some reason.

C
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Original Post. Or also Original Poster. Meaning you took your original post (with the pictures) down for some reason.

C
I did took my original post down. not sure what's happened. It's my first post, learning how it works
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
travelw9 wrote: I did took my original post down. not sure what's happened. It's my first post, learning how it works
Maybe post the pics again, if you have them handy.

C