• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2022 12:48 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
I will attach pictures as I'm not sure where is my original post
added more pictures
I got a box of them and only one piece was with black stuff so I cut to see inside.
Images
  • 20210821_125726.jpg
  • 20210821_125648.jpg
  • 20210821_125702.jpg
  • 20210821_122615.jpg
  • 20210821_124130.jpg
  • 20210821_122625.jpg
  • 20210821_125658.jpg
  • 20210821_125722.jpg
  • 20210822_162423.jpg
  • 20210821_124137.jpg
  • 20210823_160256.jpg
  • 20210821_132713.jpg
  • 20210820_065622.jpg
  • 20210820_065648.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2007 posts
1743 upvotes
GTA
travelw9 wrote: I will attach pictures as I'm not sure where is my original post
added more pictures
I got a box of them and only one piece was with black stuff so I cut to see inside.
So I think the first thing that I would say for this is to check your contract. All hardwood flooring, and just hardwood in general, comes in three types.

You have Clear, Select, and Character/Knotty, then there are variations between the two. The hardwood flooring companies may have different names for this.

In order, they basically refer to no knots, some small tight knots, and then as many lots as possible and whatever size.

Does your contract quote the specs of the flooring? The one shown in the showroom/display is probably clear or the best one. Also what does a pic of the whole floor look like?
Mar 1, 2016
357 posts
298 upvotes
travelw9 wrote: I will attach pictures as I'm not sure where is my original post
added more pictures
I have no advice OP, but I wouldn’t be happy with that either. Perhaps it is the lighting, but it doesn’t even look close to the same product. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5313 posts
5433 upvotes
Ottawa
BigDurian wrote: I have no advice OP, but I wouldn’t be happy with that either. Perhaps it is the lighting, but it doesn’t even look close to the same product. Good luck.
It doesn't look like the same floor to me either. The supplier could have installed the incorrect product. It does happen with new builds.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1827 posts
2828 upvotes
Stouffville ON
This doesn't even look like the same floor.
I bet your APS has plenty of clauses to protect the builder and allow for substitutes, but this is gross.
See if you can get them to replace it, check with your lawyer.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
senasena wrote: This doesn't even look like the same floor.
I bet your APS has plenty of clauses to protect the builder and allow for substitutes, but this is gross.
See if you can get them to replace it, check with your lawyer.
you mean real estate lawyer ? My lawyer is aware and we asked to postpone the closing date but lawyer of the builder said its not a reason.
And it will take time to meet with a builder and supplier for this issue, looking for any explanation and reasons to push them to change. this is not acceptable and I'm very mad.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3307 posts
6334 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
I've seen a lot of floors, I have no idea wtf this is, seems unacceptable to me.
RE Broker
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1827 posts
2828 upvotes
Stouffville ON
travelw9 wrote: you mean real estate lawyer ? My lawyer is aware and we asked to postpone the closing date but lawyer of the builder said its not a reason.
And it will take time to meet with a builder and supplier for this issue, looking for any explanation and reasons to push them to change. this is not acceptable and I'm very mad.
The builder's lawyer is working for the builder so he will tell you whatever it takes to get rid off you.
I would try to deal with the builder (if you had an agent have him or her deal with the builder) to see if this can be resolved without lawyers. Contact your real estate lawyer for advise.
Litigation lawyers are very expensive, unless you have a clear case it would be your last resort, small claims court would be your better option as long as you have a good case.
Tarion warranty also protects you against unauthorized substitutions, so this could be one of the avenues you take on.
https://www.tarion.com/homeowners/your- ... ty-outline

Good luck, tell us how it went.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
thanks for tips. My lawyer is aware but she did not do anything except sending the pictures as inspector did not want to include it in PDI. so at least on date of sale there is a record that there is an issue. First I thoughr it's mold. But after I found a piece in the basement, I cut one piece and I see it's filler. Something new for me as I'm far from renovations so learning a lot of stuff now.

I think it will take long time. I have an experience with Mattamy now. It took me almost 1 years but they replaced both doors and today painted them and only 1 item left to fix. But this is nothing comparing to Tamarack who is much more expensive. In a new house there many issues, but this story for another time :) right now only floor is biggest issue before I can move in

I will post updates here
Last edited by travelw9 on Aug 25th, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: So I think the first thing that I would say for this is to check your contract. All hardwood flooring, and just hardwood in general, comes in three types.

You have Clear, Select, and Character/Knotty, then there are variations between the two. The hardwood flooring companies may have different names for this.

In order, they basically refer to no knots, some small tight knots, and then as many lots as possible and whatever size.

Does your contract quote the specs of the flooring? The one shown in the showroom/display is probably clear or the best one. Also what does a pic of the whole floor look like?
Images
  • 20210824_191315.jpg
  • 20210824_191308.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5313 posts
5433 upvotes
Ottawa
Wishing you the best of luck. Should Tamarack and its flooring supplier give you much push back you may want to consider hiring an independent flooring expert for an opinion on the install and whether it is a defect.

BTW: A search on Tarion shows that Tamarack currently owes Tarion over $58,000 in outstanding claims that Tarion has paid to homeowners. The fact that these amounts are outstanding would lead me to believe that the relationship between Tamarack and Tarion is probably not the best at this time.

https://obd.hcraontario.ca/profile/B1547
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1586 posts
1391 upvotes
Etobicoke
The wide shot images ( post #30) don't look too bad for builder grade. The first images were zoomed in and no context could be made. I think it is "normal" . I replaced my builder grade hardwood 15 years after I bought. Should have done it earlier
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3586 posts
946 upvotes
Reviewing the zoomed out pictures, I do believe they installed you what you wanted.

Googling "Elements Stonecrop", I would assume your flooring is Kentwood Brush Oak Stonecrop 5"?

Going to their site for the specified colour: Potential Hardwood and moving over to the second picture. I do see the same grey/black characteristic knots that you are showing. If the flooring is totally different, please disregard the above comment.

While I do agree that the sample at the builder's decor center may not be a good example of what you were receiving, as it is such a small size. This is honestly the risk we take going with a new build and is applicable to so many other aspects (countertops, tiling and etc).
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
azn_dan wrote: Reviewing the zoomed out pictures, I do believe they installed you what you wanted.

Googling "Elements Stonecrop", I would assume your flooring is Kentwood Brush Oak Stonecrop 5"?

Going to their site for the specified colour: Potential Hardwood and moving over to the second picture. I do see the same grey/black characteristic knots that you are showing. If the flooring is totally different, please disregard the above comment.

While I do agree that the sample at the builder's decor center may not be a good example of what you were receiving, as it is such a small size. This is honestly the risk we take going with a new build and is applicable to so many other aspects (countertops, tiling and etc).
thanks for your comments, you are right with a name of the hardwood. I just can't get how they can show one thing and put on the floor another one...for me it looks ugly and make me upset every time I go there...can't imagine seeing it every day
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1364 posts
891 upvotes
RichmondCA wrote: Is quarter round your 'baseboard'?
Yikes... first thing I noticed when I saw the photo.
travelw9 wrote: sorry I don't understand the question
In your photo above, the only 'baseboard' you have along the wall is the quarter round, or at least it appears that way.

Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3307 posts
6334 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
The last set of pictures you posted, what part of the house was that in?

There is usually baseboard + shoe mould or quarter round.
RE Broker
Oct 14, 2010
717 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
These kinds of things are precisely the reason why I would never buy a precon, ever.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3586 posts
946 upvotes
travelw9 wrote: thanks for your comments, you are right with a name of the hardwood. I just can't get how they can show one thing and put on the floor another one...for me it looks ugly and make me upset every time I go there...can't imagine seeing it every day
It is definitely unfortunate that flooring's appearance bugs you but I am hoping you can come to some agreement between you and the builder. As their decor center sample gave you a false impression of what the flooring would be like.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)