Real Estate

Deffected floor White Oak with black fillers

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2022 12:48 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1438 posts
2071 upvotes
travelw9 wrote: thanks for tips. My lawyer is aware but she did not do anything except sending the pictures as inspector did not want to include it in PDI. so at least on date of sale there is a record that there is an issue. First I thoughr it's mold. But after I found a piece in the basement, I cut one piece and I see it's filler. Something new for me as I'm far from renovations so learning a lot of stuff now.

I think it will take long time. I have an experience with Mattamy now. It took me almost 1 years but they replaced both doors and today painted them and only 1 item left to fix. But this is nothing comparing to Tamarack who is much more expensive. In a new house there many issues, but this story for another time :) right now only floor is biggest issue before I can move in

I will post updates here
The floors are just ugly. Some hardwood comes with knots and it can look beautiful, it can give it a nice character. This is just not good quality. If I were you I would go into Karen mode and write an email to the CEO - cc everyone in this who you can in the company (this usually causes more reaction). I did this to mattamy for a family member's condo, the CEO right away got involved and they fixed everything and even over a year later they are so scared of me they still come in whenever my family member asks them for something. Sometimes you have to be a squeaky wheel. I am sorry you have to go through this, its definitely an unpleasant situation. I hope they fix this for you.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9963 upvotes
Edmonton
travelw9 wrote:
To be honest, those pics aren't nearly as dramatic as I was expecting. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill, but it's your mountain/molehill. I do agree that the sample you showed could have done a better job of showing you what your floors would look like, though.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4670 posts
1930 upvotes
GTA
atom2020 wrote: The floors are just ugly. Some hardwood comes with knots and it can look beautiful, it can give it a nice character. This is just not good quality. If I were you I would go into Karen mode and write an email to the CEO - cc everyone in this who you can in the company (this usually causes more reaction). I did this to mattamy for a family member's condo, the CEO right away got involved and they fixed everything and even over a year later they are so scared of me they still come in whenever my family member asks them for something. Sometimes you have to be a squeaky wheel. I am sorry you have to go through this, its definitely an unpleasant situation. I hope they fix this for you.
Aren't you a lawyer (or at the least in the field)? I suspect a letter from you would carry more weight/threat than one from a random home buyer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5301 posts
5414 upvotes
Ottawa
RichmondCA wrote: Is quarter round your 'baseboard'?
I think it's a flat profile baseboard with quarter round.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5301 posts
5414 upvotes
Ottawa
It seems like the filler colour that was used is the problem. It definitely does not match the floor and visually it detracts from the overall appearance of the floor.

OP, as this affects certain boards only, the supplier will most likely want to come in and replace those boards. That will require cutting into the floor and gluing down replacement boards. Do you know if your floor was nailed or glued down? If nailed down, the replaced boards cannot be totally connected to the existing floor as they will have to remove the tongue from a board to install it. This may result in eventual floor squeaking.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4670 posts
1930 upvotes
GTA
So wait, are the dark spots knots or filler? If it's filler, then that's a brutal job by the installer (assuming they did the filling at the install stage).
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9963 upvotes
Edmonton
The_Professor wrote: So wait, are the dark spots knots or filler? If it's filler, then that's a brutal job by the installer (assuming they did the filling at the install stage).
That’s from the manufacturer. They fill the knots and imperfections with epoxy.

C
Mar 9, 2009
396 posts
231 upvotes
travelw9 wrote: yes I have pictures from design center (attached) and there is no small black dots there.
I don't understand how its possible and I could not imagine something like this can happened, specially for upgrade.
Good idea about CBC but not sure they would be interested. Somebody told me that I should pay them to put this on TV.
Just want to cry...
OP why don't you just call the manufacturer directly and ask about the finish. There's a Mirage logo on the sample.

https://www.miragefloors.com/en-ca/
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
altezza86 wrote: OP why don't you just call the manufacturer directly and ask about the finish. There's a Mirage logo on the sample.

https://www.miragefloors.com/en-ca/
I find out the name and going to visit supplier this weekend. But good to know what and how to discuss. That's why I ask the question. and got many good ideas. The supplier as a builder will tell me this is normal so I need to find the way to prove it. thanks
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
it's d'art spots...I cut one piece of wood I found in basement. :(
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
The appointment with a manufacture is rescheduled from 13th of September to 6th of October. So it look like it will be a long story. Going to prepare 30 days form next week and send a letter to everyone in Tamarack. Not going to let it go.
Jul 27, 2020
81 posts
96 upvotes
Take pictures and video PDI, and each time an inspection happens. You may have to give them an ultimatum because their guidelines for defects are ridiculous. CBC marketplace, Facebook too adds -even a 100$ Advertising campaign would show your story to 10,000+ people. Let the builder know others will see what kind of work they are putting out. Of course do this only after you’ve exercised every other option. You have 30 day and the 1 year for them to fix defects, before that, they won’t even fix anything. Best bet is to make an extremely comprehensive list on the 30 day to bang as many things out as possible. I’d also recommend you hire an inspector at year end to make sure you do not miss anything drastic. If it’s just bad filler I’m sure they can switch it out with something that matches. Regardless, Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5301 posts
5414 upvotes
Ottawa
will5619 wrote: Take pictures and video PDI, and each time an inspection happens. You may have to give them an ultimatum because their guidelines for defects are ridiculous. CBC marketplace, Facebook too adds -even a 100$ Advertising campaign would show your story to 10,000+ people. Let the builder know others will see what kind of work they are putting out. Of course do this only after you’ve exercised every other option. You have 30 day and the 1 year for them to fix defects, before that, they won’t even fix anything. Best bet is to make an extremely comprehensive list on the 30 day to bang as many things out as possible. I’d also recommend you hire an inspector at year end to make sure you do not miss anything drastic. If it’s just bad filler I’m sure they can switch it out with something that matches. Regardless, Good luck.
The builder has been down that road before: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/h ... -1.4789234 yet people are still buying their houses. These ultimatums have no teeth when people continue to buy their homes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5301 posts
5414 upvotes
Ottawa
travelw9 wrote: The appointment with a manufacture is rescheduled from 13th of September to 6th of October. So it look like it will be a long story. Going to prepare 30 days form next week and send a letter to everyone in Tamarack. Not going to let it go.
So I take it if you have an appointment with the flooring manufacturer that Tamarack is addressing the issue?

By all means add it to your 30 day report. I don't know why at this point you are sending a letter to everyone at Tamarack though.
Jul 27, 2020
81 posts
96 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: The builder has been down that road before: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/h ... -1.4789234 yet people are still buying their houses. These ultimatums have no teeth when people continue to buy their homes.
They do, if people did this enough they would care. Problem is, most people just move on and take it. Something small like a BBB rating, google review, and other practical things not only helps other buyers , but, potentially forces companies hands to do the right thing. I for one have been refunded even after closing a new home, on things I’ve purchased, that weren’t delivered or delivered incorrectly. Why does this happen to me and not many others? Because I understand they want to settle. But first they will try and get away with it. Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5301 posts
5414 upvotes
Ottawa
will5619 wrote: They do, if people did this enough they would care. Problem is, most people just move on and take it. Something small like a BBB rating, google review, and other practical things not only helps other buyers , but, potentially forces companies hands to do the right thing. I for one have been refunded even after closing a new home, on things I’ve purchased, that weren’t delivered or delivered incorrectly. Why does this happen to me and not many others? Because I understand they want to settle. But first they will try and get away with it. Cheers
It's great that your builder wanted to settle. Not all builders do. If you read my earlier posts on this thread (post#31) you will see that I posted that this builder currently has outstanding charges to Tarion on claims that Tarion found valid and the builder is refusing to pay. This behaviour is not indicative of a builder that wants to settle.
Jul 27, 2020
81 posts
96 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: It's great that your builder wanted to settle. Not all builders do. If you read my earlier posts on this thread (post#31) you will see that I posted that this builder currently has outstanding charges to Tarion on claims that Tarion found valid and the builder is refusing to pay. This behaviour is not indicative of a builder that wants to settle.
My builder did not want to settle. It took me 6 months to get the cheque in this instance. Do you think that they just normally do right off the bat? No. If your want something you have to put in effort. Plain and simple. Sometimes though it’s not worth the effort. It’s this guys call.
Aug 31, 2012
709 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Looks awful OP. Hope it works out for you. I wouldn’t be happy either. I have bought a brand new pre-con and had upgrades and wouldn’t be happy with that finish. Especially since the samples don’t show it.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2021
35 posts
14 upvotes
Some updates. Tamarack (builder) and Barwood (floor company) were few days ago, tried to convince me that this is very good quality and everyone should be happy. I explained what I think and that I don't agree and this shit should not be in my place and that I'm not happy with a quality. Now Barwood have to write report to Tamarack and then I will get reply. It should take 4-6 weeks as they said.
I will wait, but not sure why it takes so long. I have checked that I have only 1 year guarantee covered for the floor.
Thanks everyone for reply and ideas. Ready to go to the end of the battle.
Sep 15, 2020
137 posts
141 upvotes
travelw9 wrote: Some updates. Tamarack (builder) and Barwood (floor company) were few days ago, tried to convince me that this is very good quality and everyone should be happy. I explained what I think and that I don't agree and this shit should not be in my place and that I'm not happy with a quality. Now Barwood have to write report to Tamarack and then I will get reply. It should take 4-6 weeks as they said.
I will wait, but not sure why it takes so long. I have checked that I have only 1 year guarantee covered for the floor.
Thanks everyone for reply and ideas. Ready to go to the end of the battle.
Fingers crossed on a good outcome for you OP!