• Mar 18th, 2018 12:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10117 posts
1537 upvotes

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Pulled a muscle in my calf the other day during a fitness class and was just wondering how do people reduce or try to quickly heal from soreness post workout?

I realize pulling a muscle and DOMS is different but I also deal with DOMS regularly as well.

Any specific foods or do you just use rollers?
28 replies
Nov 25, 2007
175 posts
66 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I find that working whatever muscle group clears the lactic acid. If my legs are sore, a 15 minute run on a treadmill will remove the soreness. It will only be painful for the first few minutes.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6485 posts
1261 upvotes
Try going for a walk. I wouldn't recommend a full out run.

In the long run, you can somewhat help prevent DOMS by increasing frequency of whatever is causing it. Very simple example: if someone's quads are always sore after leg pressing once a week, leg press twice a week.
Last edited by amz155 on Feb 27th, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6596 posts
2275 upvotes
Vancouver
speedyforme wrote: Pulled a muscle in my calf the other day during a fitness class and was just wondering how do people reduce or try to quickly heal from soreness post workout?

I realize pulling a muscle and DOMS is different but I also deal with DOMS regularly as well.

Any specific foods or do you just use rollers?
Aside from what other suggested, if you get muscle cramps then you need to supplement with magnesium or ZMA complex. Only you know why you pulled the muscle.Maybe your muscles didn't recover from your last workout completely or you rarely train them so they are weak and give out. When your muscles give up, more stress falls on ligaments and that's when serious injuries occur. Train smart, increase gradually. DOMS will pass and eventually you may even miss them...

Advil 800mg (2 extra strength) will sure help), but if you are in the gym doing bodybuilding I wouldn't suggest it as I believe it may slow down your muscle growth. Studies on that are inconclusive,but then there are some people who take certain supplements to bring back DOMS and swear it helps them grow. Go figure...
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10117 posts
1537 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Try going for a walk. I wouldn't recommend a full out run.

In the long run, you can somewhat help prevent DOMS by increasing frequency of whatever is causing it. Very simple example: if someone's quads are always sore after leg pressing once a week, let press twice a week.
Thanks. I'd say it depends. Most of the time it's calves due to a strenuous class once a week. Sometimes shoulders, quads or biceps etc.

I guess depends which muscle I was just pushing harder at the time.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10117 posts
1537 upvotes
dazz wrote: Aside from what other suggested, if you get muscle cramps then you need to supplement with magnesium or ZMA complex. Only you know why you pulled the muscle.Maybe your muscles didn't recover from your last workout completely or you rarely train them so they are weak and give out. When your muscles give up, more stress falls on ligaments and that's when serious injuries occur. Train smart, increase gradually. DOMS will pass and eventually you may even miss them...

Advil 800mg (2 extra strength) will sure help), but if you are in the gym doing bodybuilding I wouldn't suggest it as I believe it may slow down your muscle growth. Studies on that are inconclusive,but then there are some people who take certain supplements to bring back DOMS and swear it helps them grow. Go figure...
Thanks. I only do classes at Goodlife and DOMS is pretty common for me in general but depends on muscle group that just got pushed harder. DOMS does mainly come from weight lifting in the classes but "injuries" or more issue related ones are related to this one class BODY ATTACK which is crazy cardio, jumping etc which probably causes me issues due to my lower back issues, flat feet etc
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6485 posts
1261 upvotes
Muscle cramps could be caused by other things too though. Like lack of salt. Without more info it's hard to conclude that OP's cramps are due to lack of magnesium ;)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10117 posts
1537 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Muscle cramps could be caused by other things too though. Like lack of salt. Without more info it's hard to conclude that OP's cramps are due to lack of magnesium ;)
Hm I never considered deficiencies may cause cramping although it's rare I get cramps. It's mainly soreness in general.

I just assumed I was not deficient in sodium since it's not too hard to get any. I don't add salt to anything in my diet though.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6485 posts
1261 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: Hm I never considered deficiencies may cause cramping although it's rare I get cramps. It's mainly soreness in general.

I just assumed I was not deficient in sodium since it's not too hard to get any. I don't add salt to anything in my diet though.
You may very well not be deficient in anything. I'm just pointing out that cramping can be caused by more than one reason :)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19651 posts
3696 upvotes
Toronto
I use the roller or get the gf to give me a massage in the affected area. After I do the exercise a few more times I the severity usually drops off and I'm able to get along normally.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6596 posts
2275 upvotes
Vancouver
There could be about a dozen causes of muscle cramps from being dehydrated to potassium or calcium deficiency(most people don't consume enough potassium anyways). Magnesium with adequate water intake seems to be the cause of cramps for 95% of all cases, unless those are related to muscle fatigue. Cramps don't typically happen otherwise and it's a signal from the body that something needs attention and then it's our job to figure out the cause. Your internal organs can also have cramps,but that's a different topic. Also, sometimes poor blood circulation can cause pain in a muscle and symptoms may be similar to cramps,but they are not. Calf muscles are prone to low circulation.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1420 posts
453 upvotes
Calgary
Piro21 wrote: I use the roller or get the gf to give me a massage in the affected area. After I do the exercise a few more times I the severity usually drops off and I'm able to get along normally.
For the calf area and specific parts of the back, I use a lacrosse ball, hurts like a bitch but is more effective than a roller.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3119 posts
604 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm a believer in post-workout glutamine powder. It seems to be slightly more well-regarded than other supplements out there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6596 posts
2275 upvotes
Vancouver
Jorpho wrote: I'm a believer in post-workout glutamine powder. It seems to be slightly more well-regarded than other supplements out there.
If you are eating well, you should be getting enough glutamine in your diet. A few studies out there failed to show any benefits of glutamine supplementation beyond that. And in regards to BCAAs, if you are consuming protein powders, it should have enough bcaa's already.
I'd be more concern with nutrient that definitely impact our day to to day lives and ability to feel great: potassium, magnesium, sodium(yes, sodium...)fish oil,etc,etc. There's no harm in taking more of bcaa's and glutamine, but if you are on a budget then it's better to spend your money elsewhere.
Sep 7, 2009
701 posts
304 upvotes
How often are you training? I used to get sever DOMS from weight training, but only did it sporadically. Once I changed to a regular routine (3x per week) it went away for the most part. If I skip a few weeks it will come back for the first few sessions.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10117 posts
1537 upvotes
holden wrote: How often are you training? I used to get sever DOMS from weight training, but only did it sporadically. Once I changed to a regular routine (3x per week) it went away for the most part. If I skip a few weeks it will come back for the first few sessions.
I go to classes Monday, then badminton at night, then Wednesday and Friday. Sunday is yoga.

The main source is usually after Monday due to the high impact class.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6485 posts
1261 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: I go to classes Monday, then badminton at night, then Wednesday and Friday. Sunday is yoga.

The main source is usually after Monday due to the high impact class.
Do you still get the DOMS?

Like I mentioned previously, low frequency can be a cause of DOMS and increasing frequency can help. But if you only do that class weekly, it might take a few weeks to feel less sore afterwards. Hopefully you feel a bit better week by week.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10117 posts
1537 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Do you still get the DOMS?

Like I mentioned previously, low frequency can be a cause of DOMS and increasing frequency can help. But if you only do that class weekly, it might take a few weeks to feel less sore afterwards. Hopefully you feel a bit better week by week.
Depends on how hard I work out. I've been doing these classes for almost 2 years now and it's on and off.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9341 posts
3530 upvotes
Mississauga
If you don't get DOMS, then you didn't work the muscle hard enough (to its capability). However, if your DOMS stays sore for several days afterwards, then it was overworked.

Ideally, DOMS should be felt around 24-48 hours mark, and subside within a day after, then you can work that muscle again.

That's if you're full out trying to constantly gain.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6596 posts
2275 upvotes
Vancouver
kenchau wrote: If you don't get DOMS, then you didn't work the muscle hard enough (to its capability). However, if your DOMS stays sore for several days afterwards, then it was overworked.

Ideally, DOMS should be felt around 24-48 hours mark, and subside within a day after, then you can work that muscle again.

That's if you're full out trying to constantly gain.
absolute BS... bro-science nonsense in every sentence your wrote! and even based on you contradicting yourself in the same sentense, it's obvious you don't know anything about it so it may be best you don't give advice.