Delays in criminal record check - RCMP

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2020 5:37 am
[OP]
Oct 9, 2013
34 posts
7 upvotes

Delays in criminal record check - RCMP

My criminal check is not received since 3 months now. I was arrested last year and is under peace bond. No convictions,
My new employer wants a criminal record check which I applied in Nov but hasnt been received yet
Any indications how long will the record check be received?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2520 posts
1747 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
It could be for a number of reasons.
1 - Have you ever been fingerprinted before this offence, meaning did you already have a CR?
2 - Were you fingerprinted for this particular offence? If so then, unless you already had a CR, the RCMP would have to classify those prints, enter them into the system and then nothing further would have been done until they received the disposition from the investigating agency.
3 - If your CR indicates a present charge with no disposition they might be awaiting such a disposition from the investigating agency - only fair to you.
4 - What level of check was required by your prospective employer, if it is for a Vulnerable Sectors Check then there would be even more work done on your background, outside of what is actually on your CR.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
[OP]
Oct 9, 2013
34 posts
7 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote: It could be for a number of reasons.
1 - Have you ever been fingerprinted before this offence, meaning did you already have a CR?
2 - Were you fingerprinted for this particular offence? If so then, unless you already had a CR, the RCMP would have to classify those prints, enter them into the system and then nothing further would have been done until they received the disposition from the investigating agency.
3 - If your CR indicates a present charge with no disposition they might be awaiting such a disposition from the investigating agency - only fair to you.
4 - What level of check was required by your prospective employer, if it is for a Vulnerable Sectors Check then there would be even more work done on your background, outside of what is actually on your CR.
Thanks for the reply
Was arrested for domestic assault and had accepted peace bond with the partner
Type of check is employment in private industry
Any idea how long they take? 1 month.. 2 months?? No information available anywhere.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2520 posts
1747 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
The only other information I have is that you would be on the bottom of the totem pole for priority.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
[OP]
Oct 9, 2013
34 posts
7 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote: The only other information I have is that you would be on the bottom of the totem pole for priority.
Is this because of the type of check?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4992 posts
3135 upvotes
RCMP check is very very thorough and can take anywhere from 30 days to a whole year. It does not matter if you have convictions or not, they look at every reported incident you interacted with the law. Also they look at any possibility you could have any interactions with known persons, gang/mafia ties, etc.

The wildest one I had was a candidate rented an apartment for a year from a Hell's Angel member, however they had absolutely no idea since the property was owned through another company. That RCMP check took a year.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2520 posts
1747 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
jinneebhat wrote: Is this because of the type of check?
Given the limited information you have provided that is the best I can do. Keep in mind that the top of the list are enforcement agencies and submissions from those agencies can easily be a thousand per day, although most can be searched electronically they still require a human touch.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3864 upvotes
jinneebhat wrote: Thanks for the reply
Was arrested for domestic assault and had accepted peace bond with the partner
Type of check is employment in private industry
Any idea how long they take? 1 month.. 2 months?? No information available anywhere.
Woman drove you mad?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37045 posts
23020 upvotes
Center of Universe
Your application is being scrutinized.
Last summer I had to get a level 3 vulnerable sector check, to volunteer at my kid's school and it was completed in 1 week.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)