• Mar 25th, 2020 2:53 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
177 posts
46 upvotes

delete

mod please delete
Last edited by Buffguy on Mar 25th, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Share:
25 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13607 posts
8561 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Oh you in a BIG world of HURT. You'll need to hire a lawyer/paralegal.

Was it really worth rushing to deliver that something to your friend?
Buffguy wrote: Hi guys,

I did something very stupid. I was going 150 in a 100 zone on the gardener express near dixie road exit this morning.

I got caught with a speed gun, and charged with stunt driving for going 50 over speed limit. The road was pretty empty, and I was rushing to deliver something to a friend.

This is my first offense for 5 years of driving, I am 21 years old. My court date is on august 6th.

Can someone give me tips on how I should proceed? Do I need a lawyer? How much will fine + towing cost me? Will it affect my insurance? I am a student with no income, will that help to reduce my fine?

Thanks

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 6, 2014
681 posts
1019 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Driving is gonna get very expensive for you in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5020 posts
2197 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
this

seems apt
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13607 posts
8561 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
My advise, sell the car and take public transportation.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Feb 2, 2020
32 posts
22 upvotes
Call around to find legal representation. They may advise you to proactively take a defensive driving course to show sincerity and remorse when your case is viewed by the court.

Yes, this will likely affect your insurance if you are convicted. I think this counts as a major conviction, and as such most mainstream insurance companies will deem you high risk and will no longer insure you. You'll probably be best served to find an insurance broker proactively to determine which companies out there will insure you.

I don't think student status will result in a reduced fine. When you're a motorist on the road, all things are equal. That being said, if you were caught on a speed gun, it's unlikely you'll have a chance challenging the validity of the conviction. You'll probably be best served going down the remorse, educate, and learn from this experience route.

Going to request that people on this thread are mature enough realize the OP has accepted what he did was stupid. He broke the law and sped, aside from endangering himself and others, he didn't actually end up harming anyone. Best way forward would be to give advice to help him prevent making a similar mistake again, and minimize the impact of the current situation.
Feb 2, 2020
32 posts
22 upvotes
No, even if he got your license plate wrong, the ticket is still valid in court.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11254 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
Buffguy wrote: I drive a 328i bmw

the cop put my car model as 28i, does this affect my ticket in any way
Absolutely NOT.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4470 posts
3440 upvotes
Ottawa
Buffguy wrote: Hi guys,

I did something very stupid. I was going 150 in a 100 zone on the gardener express near dixie road exit this morning.

I got caught with a speed gun, and charged with stunt driving for going 50 over speed limit. The road was pretty empty, and I didn't feel I was going that fast, others on the road were driving similar to my speed.

This is my first offense for 5 years of driving, I am 21 years old. My court date is on august 6th.

Can someone give me tips on how I should proceed? Do I need a lawyer? How much will fine + towing cost me? Will it affect my insurance? I am a student with no income, will that help to reduce my fine?

Thanks
You need to hire a lawyer/paralegal, and deal with a lot of secondary comments like SLOW THE **** DOWN.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
177 posts
46 upvotes
Anyone have recommendation for lawyer?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11057 posts
7443 upvotes
GTA, ON
Buffguy wrote: I got caught with a speed gun, and charged with stunt driving for going 50 over speed limit. The road was pretty empty, and I didn't feel I was going that fast, others on the road were driving similar to my speed.
That's why vehicles have a speedometer.

It doesn't matter how fast you think you were going because regardless of your feeling, you were still driving over the 100kph posted limit. You should have been keeping an eye on your speed. The roads maybe quieter but that doesn't mean it gives you freedom to not to pay attention to your speed.

I think you're going to be screwed regardless. They had a radar gun with a proper reading. There is no chance to say they confused you with another vehicle. As others have said, you should consider shopping around for high risk insurance with a broker.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1364 upvotes
Sorry to hear, OP. Here's a start for your reading on stunt driving, from CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/ ... -1.3311954.

Here's a link for fatal v. fixable speeding ticket errors: https://ontariospeeding.com/fighting-sp ... g-tickets/.

Will it affect your insurance? Probably: https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.co ... t5195.html.

Consider talking to a lawyer or paralegal. If you're in Ontario, the Law Society has a referral service (free of charge): https://lso.ca/public-resources/finding ... al-service.

If you're driving a BMW, I don't know how much sympathy you'll get from the Court that you don't have money. Even if they are now relatively inexpensive, people still hold ancient views.

I've had my own tickets, none as serious, but still fought them in Court and won. Miracles do happen. Since you're looking at serious consequences, I would fight it, if I were you. But that's just me.

M
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1290 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
I am assuming you're under your parent's insurance as I doubt you own the BMW as a student...have fun explaining to your parents on the insurance increase lol
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1364 upvotes
SheikhYarbooti wrote: That being said, if you were caught on a speed gun, it's unlikely you'll have a chance challenging the validity of the conviction.
+1 with the exception of the above sentence. Years ago I got caught speeding, when I was a student, with a speed gun. A defence lawyer took pity on me when I was in court. I don't remember exactly what he said, but IIRC when using speed guns, police officers are supposed to follow certain procedure/protocol to authenticate readings. He may be able to challenge, but will not know for sure until he speaks with a lawyer.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
177 posts
46 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: Sorry to hear, OP. Here's a start for your reading on stunt driving, from CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/ ... -1.3311954.

Here's a link for fatal v. fixable speeding ticket errors: https://ontariospeeding.com/fighting-sp ... g-tickets/.

Will it affect your insurance? Probably: https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.co ... t5195.html.

Consider talking to a lawyer or paralegal. If you're in Ontario, the Law Society has a referral service (free of charge): https://lso.ca/public-resources/finding ... al-service.

If you're driving a BMW, I don't know how much sympathy you'll get from the Court that you don't have money. Even if they are now relatively inexpensive, people still hold ancient views.

I've had my own tickets, none as serious, but still fought them in Court and won. Miracles do happen. Since you're looking at serious consequences, I would fight it, if I were you. But that's just me.

M
Thank you, I appreciate your advice (:

I will get a lawyer and fight this

Also yea my bmw is a 2007, you can buy a honda civic for same price as my car