Jan 15, 2019
66 posts
49 upvotes

Delete

Delete
Images
  • 23284079-C06F-4891-892F-071B2A125502.jpeg
  • D6B985AC-CA6F-46A0-80C8-75BBC3780479.jpeg
Last edited by username6 on Dec 27th, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1733 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, I think your line of thought is right. Also, that island setup doesn't even make sense really. You have 2ft for cabinets, a 4ft for the island, which means based on an 11.5ft total width, you only have 5.5ft left for the spaces around either side of the island. This is tight, probably too tight. Ideally you'd probably want 36" on either side, and seeing as the space on the bottom is a main travel path in your house, you'd probably even want 42 there. Seems like another case of trying to fit in a island where space doesn't really permit.

Regarding your revised plan, have you considered shortening the length of the peninsula? The bare wall at the bottom/south seems like a good amount of potential usable space. You could probably give up 2 feet of countertop space, and gain maybe 8 feet of pantry along that wall. Lots of possibilities. I think you're going to water more pantry or storage space in this kitchen. Could even do a wine rack, wine fridge, coffee station, etc, on this wall.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9967 posts
4250 upvotes
Vaughan
There are pros and cons for each design.

Island - less counter space but more mobility (2 exits/entries paths) and open space
Peninsula - more counter space, space for guests and wine rack, but only 1 exit/entry point

Depends on your need/want, I take peninsula.
Feb 5, 2019
189 posts
165 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Yeah, I think your line of thought is right. Also, that island setup doesn't even make sense really. You have 2ft for cabinets, a 4ft for the island, which means based on an 11.5ft total width, you only have 5.5ft left for the spaces around either side of the island. This is tight, probably too tight. Ideally you'd probably want 36" on either side, and seeing as the space on the bottom is a main travel path in your house, you'd probably even want 42 there. Seems like another case of trying to fit in a island where space doesn't really permit.

Regarding your revised plan, have you considered shortening the length of the peninsula? The bare wall at the bottom/south seems like a good amount of potential usable space. You could probably give up 2 feet of countertop space, and gain maybe 8 feet of pantry along that wall. Lots of possibilities. I think you're going to water more pantry or storage space in this kitchen. Could even do a wine rack, wine fridge, coffee station, etc, on this wall.
I also like this idea of shortening the peninsula in favour of more storage space. Although a 8' long seating area is nice, but with no direct view of a tv or whatnot, it's likely less utilized.
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
Peninsula. No point in compromising on space just to try to fit in an island. The others also had a good point in regards to trying to get more storage space on the bare walls unless you were planning on putting up shelving on there.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1863 posts
1293 upvotes
Toronto
Island (rotated). Looks much better as it will create a more open space with better flow to breakfast area. Plus it can still seat guests and accommodate additional storage underneath, including a wine fridge.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11965 posts
7129 upvotes
Paris
I have an island, cousin has very similar house 3 doors down with a peninsula. We both like my island better
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1169 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
Island rotated and/or parallel to sink. What’s the distance between the back of peninsula and to about 4 feet in front of stove? 42” min works as well.
May 14, 2011
177 posts
49 upvotes
Larger island with an overhang but move the island closer to the stove. Three plus feet around the stove and sink. The island overhang can be used as an area to sit and eat.

This will allow open space making the kitchen less enclose and cramp compared to a peninsula.
Nov 15, 2008
119 posts
51 upvotes
keswick
Have you considered extending the island in picture 1 to the wall and perhaps widening it?

if you use your patio often for bbq or hosting, having the opening there is more convenient.
corner storage rarely gets utilized properly because its awkward to reach far in. a wider island can potentially be full cabinets accessible from both sides.

whichever you choose, also think about a waterfall, its a really nice feature to have (if going quartz)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7385 posts
3110 upvotes
lamin wrote: Island rotated and/or parallel to sink. What’s the distance between the back of peninsula and to about 4 feet in front of stove? 42” min works as well.
This right here.

You could put a 2.5-3' wide, 8' long island in that space (maybe even push it out to 9' since the breakfast area is 12.5') and gain even more storage. We had a warming drawer and a wine fridge installed in our island. You could add anything really, you could add a 2nd oven if you wanted to.

Peninsula closes off the space both aesthetically and practically.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
I like the island more (play around w its rotation, placement, etc to get the perfect spot/size), like someone said, more entry points between the sitting area and the kitchen...not sure what seating concerns are there since there's already a dedicated area for a table. The peninsula as it is is too crowded and if ppl are rushed it's gonna be a bottleneck.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5033 posts
1584 upvotes
Richmond Hill
+1 for rotated island. Moved closer to the stove.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5741 posts
3571 upvotes
Tough call. I generally like islands but they don’t work in every kitchen. Your dimensions look just slightly small for an island. Putting one in rotated as some have suggested could make it cramped in the kitchen work area and ultimately you are not gaining counter space. I think in that particular kitchen a peninsula might be a better choice from a practical and utility perspective.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7385 posts
3110 upvotes
fdl wrote: Tough call. I generally like islands but they don’t work in every kitchen. Your dimensions look just slightly small for an island. Putting one in rotated as some have suggested could make it cramped in the kitchen work area and ultimately you are not gaining counter space. I think in that particular kitchen a peninsula might be a better choice from a practical and utility perspective.
8' island offers 2 extra feet of usable counter work space than does the peninsula.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4800 posts
4549 upvotes
Toronto
username6 wrote: Keep in mind, we wanted:
-space for a wine fridge
-seating for guests
Peninsula, IMHO. Although you can sit people at a rotated island, there isn't much room behind their seats. Guests who are visiting/eating will sit and talk to the host (and bother them) while the host finishes cooking, so the host needs to easily get around the kitchen. While eating, people regularly get up and get stuff from the fridge/drawers, etc. and no one is sitting there glued to their seats plus the host still needs to check on the upcoming dessert or next dish in the oven, etc. Having that 8 foot seating area, outside the kitchen area, therefore makes the most sense from that perspective as space is too tight with people seated around an island.

I have an island, and I've positioned it so that someone sitting in front of the fridge still allows space for the fridge door to open (and open drawers on the opposite side), but sometimes people sit farther out than planned, so I have say "excuse me" and tell them to push in so that I can get to the fridge. Same thing for the oven door, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5741 posts
3571 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: 8' island offers 2 extra feet of usable counter work space than does the peninsula.
8’ x what? And then how much space between the island and counter / walls. I’m worried an island would make for a very cramped workspace in that kitchen. I’ve seen people try and fit an island and it just didn’t work. I feel like that kitchen it right on the border. It might work , just not sure.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21651 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
username6 wrote: Hi RFD

Hope you’re all staying safe!

My wife and I recently purchased a home. The design for the kitchen had a 2x4 island planned in the middle.

As much as I am in love with islands, my wife and I went back and forth for weeks deciding on what to do.

We ultimately decided on a peninsula.

I’ve attached pictures of what we are going with, and wanted to know your thoughts.

We don’t sign off on the official drawings until Friday, so looking for some last minute perspectives :)

Keep in mind, we wanted:
-space for a wine fridge
-seating for guests

Edit: for space concerns, the island would have had to been rotated.
2x4 Feet is extremely small
Not bad for a work table
But too small to also sit at

The 8 foot long peninsula makes more sense
And gives you way more storage
(8 Ft - 2 Ft Wine Fridge = 6 Ft extra )

Alternatively ...

You might want to look at foregoing BOTH the Island & Peninsula
Just set up your Breakfast area for casual seating / dining
Get a table that expands ... or think long harvest table (Like you see in pubs )

With the island & peninsula gone...

Then you can turn the long wall that backs onto the staircase into extra storage via a bank of cabinetry for a pantry / built ins
(Can be same cabinets as the rest of the kitchen ... or different colour )
Do now, or do later ... if you DIY ... you’ll no doubt save some money vs going thru the builder

If Tv is a must for the space ...
Then hang one on the end of the cabinet ... up near the ceiling ... so no one bumps their head on it
(Or the wall is long ... you could just build it into the design )
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1863 posts
1293 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: 2x4 Feet is extremely small
Not bad for a work table
But too small to also sit at

The 8 foot long peninsula makes more sense
And gives you way more storage
(8 Ft - 2 Ft Wine Fridge = 6 Ft extra )

Alternatively ...

You might want to look at foregoing BOTH the Island & Peninsula
Just set up your Breakfast area for casual seating / dining
Get a table that expands ... or think long harvest table (Like you see in pubs )

With the island & peninsula gone...

Then you can turn the long wall that backs onto the staircase into extra storage via a bank of cabinetry for a pantry / built ins
(Can be same cabinets as the rest of the kitchen ... or different colour )
Do now, or do later ... if you DIY ... you’ll no doubt save some money vs going thru the builder

If Tv is a must for the space ...
Then hang one on the end of the cabinet ... up near the ceiling ... so no one bumps their head on it
(Or the wall is long ... you could just build it into the design )
If the island were rotated, a much larger island than 2x4' can be accommodated. My guess is an 8x3' island would fit and still provide sufficient space to walk around.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11050 posts
2113 upvotes
I would have made it a 3x5 island rotated instead instead, no reason why it can't be larger

Having said that, if it was between the island or peninsula as depicted, peninsula for sure, more counter and storage space

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)