• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 6:06 pm
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2020
1054 posts
1615 upvotes
As a side question, is anyone familiar with icslearn?

They have an accounting certificate that you can get for as quick as 6 months or a diploma in under two years. Online, so at your own pace.

But I'm not sure how useful these are?
Dec 10, 2009
105 posts
13 upvotes
Hey OP. I haven't done a career switch yet, but I think about it a lot myself and wanted to share some considerations (food for thought).

I have an engineering background with similar level of experience (7 years) and wanted to be a teacher since I was in elementary school. Never pulled the trigger and instead switched jobs a few times to try different industries a bit. They were never career changes and were still related to engineering, and definitely weren't in the direction of teaching. I just thought maybe a change of environment/pace is what I needed, but it wasn't and I don't think I'll ever be "happy to work" unless I make the jump to teaching. I've concluded there are two options, and based on my financial and personal situations I can only pursue one of them.

a) Recognize and learn that a job is a job, and find fulfillment outside of work.
b) Pull the trigger and just do the switch. But if you do, make sure you're certain this is what you want.

For me, I'm stuck with Option A because of my massive mortgage and plans for a wedding (huge expense). It's life and I'm still trying to accept it for what it is. In the ideal world there is potentially a third option, which is make minor shifts and steps to make the career switch, but I don't think that would work for a full 180 career change. If you have manageable expenses, you're willing to lose out on a few years of earnings, and your family is onboard then I'd say do it. Sales experience is great and very transferable, so that would work to your advantage easily if you find out later that accounting wasn't right or if you want some part-time employment during studies. This wasn't probably anything new or insightful and I'm sure you've thought about all of this, but I just wanted to share so at least you know you're not alone. If I had the financial grit to do it, then I would do the switch (whatever it may be to make you happy).
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3513 posts
2125 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you a natural salesman? I know most people mean personality wise but to me more important is the motivation and drive. Personally I like talking to people but I don't have the money motivation to continually call leads whatever their motivation might be. The "no" doesn't bother me, but after a few I mostly give up. If you have both sides of the sales personality you should find a new product to sell. Can make a great career that you don't worry about after 5 if you are selling something the market wants for somebody making a good profit and willing to share it with you.

Accounting (maybe bookkeeping better word here) on the other hand also has a personality type that it attracts. Actually my cousin did the same when he saw his wife enjoying accounting. He learned to do taxes and makes an ok living. A lot of accounting is a lot easier than people think so it has that appeal. He has the advantage of using her name a bit but in your case doing books that won't be a factor. He isn't happier though. He's not someone who loves looking for a small detail and doing repetitive tasks over and over again.

All that said life is short and I think starting over is worth it on it's own you might have the best time of your life studying again. I guess that is another question do you like being a student? Or is that another drudgery you will have to get through.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
Trying to switch now is going to be extra hard. The thought has occurred to me as well. During this time the majority of employers only want to hire for the same title, they don't care about transferrable skills. I'm not saying don't try, but don't expect too much.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15268 posts
6292 upvotes
OP I think you should study part time/casually. Also at the very least take a Myers Briggs test and see what it says for careers for your type. True and proper career counselling would be the best. When I made my career change they put me through these really lengthy/exhaustive tests on the computer to see what kinds of jobs were a good fit for me.

Careers are hard because you can find something interesting, be good at learning it, and then find out that the real world job experience isn't something you like, enjoy, or are cut out for. Maybe see if you can learn a bit about how to do that type of role, and then do it casually/independently to see if you actually enjoy it.
I am a Zoomer customer.