• Dec 28th, 2020 10:11 am
[OP]
Banned
Jan 15, 2019
66 posts
49 upvotes

Delete

Delete
Last edited by username6 on Jun 20th, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Jun 27, 2020
83 posts
62 upvotes
Kingston
I personally prefer steel, as anytime I can have hooks welded on, or modifications done to it. But they are heavy. The one I have right now (6x10) weights just under 1000lbs empty, so no good for you.

Which ATV did you get ?

Even if you had the option of a 5x7, 5x8 is more practical if you need to use it for anything else. Sheets of drywall, plywood and such are 8ft standard.
You don't need anything fancy, but if you buy anything used, take a look at the wiring. Too often people will just fix the wire quickly to show it working but it won't be well done and won't last. But same thing goes from a new one bought from a big box store... If you have a problem with wiring or anything, they're not technical about it.

My first one was a trailer-tent that had the whole tent gone and converted to a utility trailer. bought it used for 3 or 400$, and served me well. I had to fix the wiring on it and that was it.

My current one was bought new from a trailer place, and I went back there to get parts to install electrical brakes, and they've always been pretty good to me.

Are you planning to use it every weekend for short distances, or long distance, maybe twice a year ?

Storage of the trailer is another thing; that thing is always in your way once you own it ! so definitely the lighter it is, the easier it is to just move them by hand if you need to move it.

But I think in your case, the weight limit is your limiting factor (unsure of the ATV weight), and you won't have that many options anyhow. LED lighting looks better!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4387 posts
4560 upvotes
GTA
I was going to suggest an aluminum trailer to keep the total trailer weight down, but looking at models comparable to that one from Rona, there's really no weight savings. They're both about 400 lbs.
Nov 23, 2012
57 posts
26 upvotes
SUDBURY
I own 2 grizzlies a 16’ and a ‘20. To take 1 bike I use a 4x8 steel trailer it’s tight width wise, definitely go 5x8 you can get away with 5x7 but why would you? The added price between 5x8 vs 5x7 is minimal. If money isn’t a factor go aluminum especially if your trailering it down paved roads aluminum trailer will last forever and be light for your low tow rating. Once you start comparing prices steel vs aluminum you’ll realize that you can almost buy 2 steel trailers for the price of 1 aluminum (20-40% price difference)for example 5x8 legend aluminum trailer ($3500) from Kijiji vs. 5x8 steel advantage for $2100 also from kijiji. Mind you legend trailers are top of the food chain as are tritons
Jun 27, 2020
83 posts
62 upvotes
Kingston
username6 wrote: Thanks for the insight! Good call on overall better utility of an 8ft bed.

I have a 21’ Grizzly SE. wet weight is roughly 750lbs, so I’d definitely need to go lighter on the trailer.

Are electrical issues easy to fix for the average DIY’er?
You can sometimes go a tad over the max towing rate, if for short trip / slow speed. The issue with the max weight is mainly on the transmission, if you have lots of driving to do (or lots of shifting), and then the braking. But if you do get pulled over or get into an accident and you're over the weight, than it's not good for you.

For electrical, yes it's pretty straightforward, as long as you have a spare connector, spare wire and tape. depends if you keep the trailer at your house or somewhere else. nothing is more annoying than keeping the trailer at somebodys else house (because they have more than a single driveway), and then realizing that brake lights or whatever dont work. But if you have tape and wire, you can generally sort it out fairly quickly. More of an minor annoyance than anything else. My first trailer I fixed it twice, but the third time instead of trying to find where was the issue, I just ended up putting it on the side and running brand new wire to every light, and ran the write through flexible pipe to have it somewhat protected.

Even upgrading the light isn't too bad, they sell LED trailer lights package at Princess auto for cheap enough. just need self tapping screws and a drill. (not sure if I would screw simply in the aluminum or put another plate in the back to hold better)

Lithium grease is your friend.... grease the connector and where the wires go in the lights, and the grounds once in a while to keep them from corroding. Grease the bearing once in a while. That'll help prevent you from issues from just sitting outside forever.