• May 29th, 2018 7:11 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2013
69 posts
3 upvotes
GTA

Delete please

Delete please
Last edited by evolutionX on Jul 2nd, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6756 posts
3912 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If this is a "friend" and not you, then you have absolutely no way of knowing what actually happened and if it was extremely minor or not. What is with all the questions for "friends" having trouble at jobs lately lol? I've seen a few threads for "friends" in recent days.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9659 posts
6072 upvotes
Edmonton
Is your “friend” suspended with pay, or without? Has he talked to an employment lawyer?

C
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11182 posts
4561 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Since this 'friend' works for a subcontractor, the relationship and conditions for employment are generally spelled out in the contract between the crown corp and the subcontractor. Without knowing the details of the contract, it's hard to know what is applicable as a 'minor' incident. We also don't know if there was any previous 'unrelated' employment disciplinary action.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9659 posts
6072 upvotes
Edmonton
Wait... was your friend a union member or not?

C
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1870 posts
783 upvotes
HK
I’ll chime in AFTER OP admits s/he is the “friend”.
Dec 28, 2010
495 posts
206 upvotes
Define 'minor'
Actions speak louder than words
Jan 13, 2017
107 posts
32 upvotes
People don't get suspended for no reason.

Find a new job.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3796 posts
597 upvotes
Your post is very confusing . Usually a third party does not suspend anyone . When you get suspended you are told why . Usually within a week you should have meet with management with allegations . Is your friend being paid ? There are to many facts missing to help you .
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4764 posts
871 upvotes
Ottawa
As mentioned by others, your description is very cryptic - if you want people to provide useful advice, make sure they have all the information.

In any case, if your friend is in the union, bring it up with the union. If he has a standing, the union will definitely back him and take care of it. If your friend is just a contractor (which it sounds like he is), then I believe there's absolutely nothing he can do. I believe that in Ontario, either party can terminate contract at any time with no notice.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11146 posts
5981 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yeah, usually the union will defend you.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jun 5, 2013
69 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
@Chickinvic He's a coworker and I was in the area when this took place.

@CNeufeld The employer has made no mention of it being a paid leave, but one union rep vaguely promised that he will be reimbursed for the time off. He is a part of the union and hasn't spoken with an employment lawyer yet.

@VESTEGAARD Basically, the particular position he was working at the time requires him to be "continuously busy" and interacting with customers. He was idle for no more than 30-45 seconds when he was pulled aside and taken off that particular position and sent to a different position for the rest of his shift. At the end of the shift he was informed of the suspension.

@pfbmgd Please see above.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6756 posts
3912 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
evolutionX wrote:
May 28th, 2018 9:31 am
@Chickinvic He's a coworker and I was in the area when this took place.

@CNeufeld The employer has made no mention of it being a paid leave, but one union rep vaguely promised that he will be reimbursed for the time off. He is a part of the union and hasn't spoken with an employment lawyer yet.

@VESTEGAARD Basically, the particular position he was working at the time requires him to be "continuously busy" and interacting with customers. He was idle for no more than 30-45 seconds when he was pulled aside and taken off that particular position and sent to a different position for the rest of his shift. At the end of the shift he was informed of the suspension.

@pfbmgd Please see above.
If this person is not you, then you can't know the full history. I would stay out of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5227 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
Without telling us what is that MINOR THING all about. We can not help either.