• Feb 2nd, 2006 1:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 5, 2003
203 posts

DELETE THIS POST

NOTHING DELETE
Last edited by Serveza on Oct 9th, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10585 posts
478 upvotes
Mississauga
Serveza wrote:How much do you charge hourly for web development in the Toronto area?

Just curious to see if my rates are competitive, pushover or too high.
Well, when I'm working for friends to help out with their web needs, I charge 50 an hour.
4chan melts your brain.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12037 posts
408 upvotes
Depends on what you mean by "development". I still do a little bit of design, markup, and some programming, and charge differently for different tasks and for different people.

The lowest I would go would be $45-50, which would be for straight design or HTML markup for a friend. The highest would be about $135, which is if I have to write some PHP, do some DB work, or anything else requiring more than just HTML.
Aug 12, 2004
386 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
You guys should outsource your work to me then. I'll charge you $30 an hour and you can go around and charge your customers $50+ and everyone will be happy :D

If you're interested PM me and I'll send you my credentials.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10585 posts
478 upvotes
Mississauga
deep wrote:Depends on what you mean by "development". I still do a little bit of design, markup, and some programming, and charge differently for different tasks and for different people.

The lowest I would go would be $45-50, which would be for straight design or HTML markup for a friend. The highest would be about $135, which is if I have to write some PHP, do some DB work, or anything else requiring more than just HTML.
Agreed. My company contracts me out to other companies at $220 an hour. My dad's company contracts him out at $500 an hour. Insane, really.
4chan melts your brain.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12037 posts
408 upvotes
Yeah, as soon as you start involving middlemen, things quickly spiral out of control. $500/hr for your dad though, that's pretty sweet. That's equivalent to junior partner billing at a Big 5 firm.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
2142 posts
30 upvotes
It's hard to say without knowing what your skill set is like. It'd help if you linked to some of your work
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Seriously, charging by the hour only works for the very high end market. Telling your clients that you charge how much an hour is a joke, when they don't have a clue as to how many hours those jobs (should) take. I instead charge by the job.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10585 posts
478 upvotes
Mississauga
deep wrote:That's what your girlfriend told me.

;)
SNAP!
Yeah, as soon as you start involving middlemen, things quickly spiral out of control. $500/hr for your dad though, that's pretty sweet. That's equivalent to junior partner billing at a Big 5 firm.
Yeah, my dad is pretty damn good at what he does, and his company charges insane amounts from their clients. Bell is one of them...and if my dad works 40 hours a week (which he does) for Bell (which he does) at $500 an hour (which they charge), then they're billing Bell: 40 x 50 (assuming 2 weeks vacation) x 500 = $1 Million dollars....

Damn...too bad he's not getting that...
4chan melts your brain.
Dec 20, 2003
844 posts
2 upvotes
I thought i was making a lot for a high school student lol. 15/hour for PHP and MySQL related websites from Ottawa.
Dec 20, 2003
844 posts
2 upvotes
what kind of job do you guys do??? I have been making Calenders, appointments, project discussion boards, and online stores. However i dont really work on complex GUIs. Those who are 50+/hour, are u guys doing some complex desgining?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1954 posts
82 upvotes
ryan123 wrote:what kind of job do you guys do??? I have been making Calenders, appointments, project discussion boards, and online stores. However i dont really work on complex GUIs. Those who are 50+/hour, are u guys doing some complex desgining?
I am interested in seeing some portfolio here as well :D
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2028 posts
191 upvotes
damn. i make like 19/hr (35hrs/wk) doing web development... but my company only develops stuff for internal use... so maybe that affects how much i make... but um... requires html/javascript/jsp/jsf/servlets/struts/ejbs/portlets.. and probably other stuff i 4got

... but damn.. i never new web dev could make so much... for those people who get contracted for like $500/hr.. how much does your company ACTUALLY end up paying you?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12037 posts
408 upvotes
Well, I am my own company, so I take home whatever crumbs the gov't leaves me. I've had jobs that worked out to hundreds of $ per hour, and jobs that barely paid minimum wage.

The money I'm paid isn't for my programming skills, which are only mediocre. Rather, it is sometimes for my understanding of business processes, user requirements, and being able to transform inefficient processes into money makers. Sometimes, that requires a website, or a modification to an existing website. Sometimes, that requires a database, or an automated process to be built into a database. Alternately, I'm paid to create a better way to disseminate information via email, web, or on CD. Sometimes it's neither of the above, and it's really just pointing out some glaring errors in a company in terms of their suppliers, employees, or day to day business.

So my clients underpay me for my brain power, and overpay me for my technical ability. In the end, it (usually) works out. If I had more clients, I could justify hiring some code monkeys, and maybe that will happen in the next two or three years. For now, I'm just making people happy as fast as I can.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
2142 posts
30 upvotes
ElvaSoShexai wrote:... but damn.. i never new web dev could make so much... for those people who get contracted for like $500/hr.. how much does your company ACTUALLY end up paying you?
I highly doubt that it's actually web work that's being contracted out for $500/hr. I would expect that $500/hr would be some sort of consulting in the business or IT side of things.

IE ... Vignette consultants...
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
2142 posts
30 upvotes
deep wrote: For now, I'm just making people happy as fast as I can.
I like the way you do business. It's the way things shoudl be
[OP]
May 5, 2003
203 posts
NOTHING DELETE
Last edited by Serveza on Oct 9th, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10585 posts
478 upvotes
Mississauga
ElvaSoShexai wrote:damn. i make like 19/hr (35hrs/wk) doing web development... but my company only develops stuff for internal use... so maybe that affects how much i make... but um... requires html/javascript/jsp/jsf/servlets/struts/ejbs/portlets.. and probably other stuff i 4got

... but damn.. i never new web dev could make so much... for those people who get contracted for like $500/hr.. how much does your company ACTUALLY end up paying you?
Well, first off, as mentioned, if you ever want to make more that 50K a year in IT, you either have to learn a proven programming lanugage (basically .NET, which is eating Java for breakfast now) OR you can focus on business-related endevours, such as management or B2B interactions. Working as a code monkey, especially as an Internet code monkey will never get you paid much more than 50K. Learn .NET and you can demand far more.

My dad gets paid about 9-10% of that 500 an hour.
4chan melts your brain.