• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2015 12:32 pm
20 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
The better looking you are means more money in tips, so they can make a lot more than someone working in retail.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7612 posts
1682 upvotes
Scarborough
I'd rather work at a grocery store than as a waiter (but that's me) even if it pays less.

your guidance counselor, how long ago did she work that ? These days it's a big difference
Jul 11, 2014
59 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
It depends on her location. If she's in a smaller city with barely anyone attending or a bad location then she won't be making as much. I think servers wages are now $9.80? + Tip... if she is in Toronto then it could be a different story. If you calculate her $9.80 x 7.5 hours = 73.50 but then you add on lets say a $20 tip then yeah I guess she can make more then a regular worker. $93.20.. working at the wage of 11.25 an hour.
Jun 28, 2006
967 posts
40 upvotes
Post a picture so we can provide tailored advice.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2044 posts
1125 upvotes
Etobicoke
As someone that has been around the hotel/restaurant industry for over 20 years, you can make great money in tips. Be wary of a chain like BP, when I worked at Kelseys years ago, they would schedule you for lunch, cut you if not busy after 2 hours and you'd still have a dinner shift at 5pm which could be anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours. Dinner is always better to work than lunch and you figure the average bill at BP is probably $60-$100 per table (2-4 ppl) and you will make anywhere from $5 -$20 in tips per table multiplied by how many tables you are serving that night.
At a family restaurant like BP, your looks matter less because you have more families unless you are in the bar area, then you can make more if you are good looking.
As a side note, you will have younger staff to work with and you will have more fun working at a restaurant like BP. Yes you will have bad customers and so forth but that happens will all jobs.
Take a shot at waitressing...you may never leave!
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
Yes, you typically make more waitressing than in retail. Even retail assistant managers/managers make barely above minimum wage with long hours. Hours for both jobs suck (holidays, weekends), but a bartender or manager at a restaurant gets paid more than a retail manager. Also, the culture at working at a restaurant is a lot more fun for some reason. You'll make better friends, it's part of kitchen culture. But you'll definitely work harder as a waitress than in retail. One thing you want to find out if tips are pooled. People tend to work less hard when tips are shared, and then you'll be jipped out of getting what you deserve.

If you offer good service and you're in the right part of town, tips can be very good. But go above and beyond with service - have fun with it. You'll soon be able to profile which tables are likely to tip more/less. If you can tend bar a bit later, even better :D
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2044 posts
1125 upvotes
Etobicoke
xoblackout wrote: Wow 20 years! Thanks so much for your input! So you think waitressing over retail right? I'll give it a go
Yes...retail sucks!
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12368 posts
11266 upvotes
xoblackout wrote: Lol.the thing is Boston pizza isn't like st. Louis...don't the girls wear plain black slacks and a black shirt? (I think) You can't even use looks to your advantage anyway.
If you got a booty in yoga pants oh yeahhh some guys will whip an extra buck or so to get a view
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
transitguy1 wrote: I'd rather work at a grocery store than as a waiter (but that's me) even if it pays less.

your guidance counselor, how long ago did she work that ? These days it's a big difference
working as a server can easily get your 3x as much as a grocery worker

if you're pleasant on the eye and somewhat competent..you can clear 1k a weekend at a place like moxies very easily
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5803 posts
3342 upvotes
But does this place tip out?

Some places just add up your sales (amount you bring in) and force you to give management some percent.

Like, let's say you have $2,000 of sales/bills, manager may want $100 from you. They want a piece of the tips.

So, someone may get $200 in tips, but management may want $100. If you don't give it to them, guess who may not get a good shift?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3311 posts
502 upvotes
Boston Pizza has a tip pool (at least the I worked at so I assume all are the same). Tip pool wasn't for managers, it was for kitchen staff who never sees the customer. Servers tip out 3% of their sales every shift, regardless of how much actual tips they earned.

This can suck when you get stiffed a few times on big bills ($100+) and end up with not much left, but this rarely happens and servers still end up making a killing (usually).
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
LandKing wrote: working as a server can easily get your 3x as much as a grocery worker

if you're pleasant on the eye and somewhat competent..you can clear 1k a weekend at a place like moxies very easily
Do people here actually tip based on the attractiveness of the server?

Unless the server is obese or has a gross beard or dreadlocks that stink (stuff that affects your dining experience), their appearance shouldn't affect their tip.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Dec 5, 2010
481 posts
63 upvotes
server minimum + tips.

tips is what makes you money.

had a few friends that worked at Moxies and they went banking off looking pretty.
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
today in age looks matter.. sad but true.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1412 posts
1264 upvotes
North York
xoblackout wrote: But the thing is it isn't moxie. I know moxie's waitresses must make more because the girls are hot etc but boston pizza is a family restaurant. I don't think they make nearly as much. I'm not worried about looks lol but I just want to see if the tips are enough to make up for the hard work.
You're over thinking it buddy. Just take a job that works around your schedule. I used to enjoy waitering cus its over a couple hours each shift and ur good to go, unlike stuff like retail which sucks the life out of your weekend.
Id pick a boston pizza at a wealthy neighbourhood over a Moxies at an average neighbourhood.

I was a skinny male and I made more money per shift over some of my female coworkers. People like to jump to conclusions about how female servers get tipped more. Customers come out for a relaxing enjoyable dinner experience, not to fap.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5106 posts
967 upvotes
Peterborough
If you are going to be a waitress be a good one. Dont forget things and go above and beyond.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
I agree with xblackrainbow. Around half your customers are women, also lots of families. Plus, those types of restaurants can be trouble, I know servers at Cactus Club that have to deal with drug dealers hitting on them and tipping high expecting action, and they say they get super creepy.

Also, depending on your restaurant, you can get people to cover for your shift if you don't want to work on a certain day. Restaurants are pretty lax. The really busy ones will have a large roster of servers, and you just put your name down for what time/day you want to work, with people covering each other.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: Do people here actually tip based on the attractiveness of the server?

Unless the server is obese or has a gross beard or dreadlocks that stink (stuff that affects your dining experience), their appearance shouldn't affect their tip.
Not only in restaurants but also valid in professional fields like engineering.

At my old work place, qualified males were let go. While 8/10 big booty girls remained. And all they did was FB and YouTube on phone.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
ironbrah wrote: Not only in restaurants but also valid in professional fields like engineering.

At my old work place, qualified males were let go. While 8/10 big booty girls remained. And all they did was FB and YouTube on phone.
There's actually a lot of discrimimation against females at the high levels of software engineering. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisen-str ... 92522.html

Not sure how it is in Canada, never worked at a Canadian tech firm.