Computers & Electronics

deleting hotmail account - can someone else use that email eventually in the future?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2011 11:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes

deleting hotmail account - can someone else use that email eventually in the future?

i started using the internet back in 2000 and i have some email addresses i no longer use and found out i could delete the account...

Question: does Hotmail restrict others from using that email name after deletion or can someone scoop it up

...and say i forgot i had that email attached to an amazon account or some other site that person basically now has control of whatever site was attached to that email
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33226 posts
6904 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Why do you want to delete the account?

Leave them active and forward all your emails to your current account.

If you do decide to delete it, I believe Hotmail will not let anyone claim that account for at least 6 months.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
Gee wrote: Why do you want to delete the account?

Leave them active and forward all your emails to your current account.

If you do decide to delete it, I believe Hotmail will not let anyone claim that account for at least 6 months.

6 months...so there is a possibility then for someone to scoop it up :(

i want to delete the ones i dont use to stay organized (Or feel like i'm more organized)

i could forward the emails but i have 3 on hotmail, 2 on gmail, 2 on yahoo and not all forward to other hosts
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33226 posts
6904 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiploDocus wrote: 6 months...so there is a possibility then for someone to scoop it up :(

i want to delete the ones i dont use to stay organized (Or feel like i'm more organized)

i could forward the emails but i have 3 on hotmail, 2 on gmail, 2 on yahoo and not all forward to other hosts

I believe they all allow you to forward.

Leave it for a year and make sure everyone knows your new email.

This will give you time to update all your forum accounts etc.