[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Deli Meats: Prepackaged vs Freshly sliced

.... and your favourite.

First off, I'm pretty simple when it comes to deli meats. I don't do the crackers with cheese and mortidella or proscuito thing; just straight sandwiches for me, therefore I'm probably missing out on quite a lot of verities.

Anyway, is there a difference between the freshly cut ones from the packaged ones, in your opinion? Even before Covid, I preferred to buy the packaged.

My go-toes are Genoa salami or some kind of spicy salami / pepperoni thing. and roast beef from Pillars. They usually have a nice deal at Foodbasics for buy 3 get 1 free every few weeks. Throw that in a nice toasted roll, some havarti or provolone and it's heaven.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
Deli can shave the slices finer, which I like.

Also, not much for Salamis, but for chicken, turkey, and hams, the packaged versions seem more slimey.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
I think if you are getting stuff sliced at the deli counter & someone slices something at the end of its lifespan before your order, it introduces bacteria that makes your product spoil faster. I find the stuff in a package lasts longer which is important because I do not go through it that quickly.

I like a lot of the Mastro products, capocollo with black forest ham & Kewpie, pancetta or salami with prosciutto with an aged imported cheese. I buy the Pillers products too. My guilty pleasure is macaroni & cheese loaf, but I do not put it in a sandwich - I slice off a chunk a few slices thick & eat it straight up. Also Brant olive & pimiento loaf.

Walmart will clear out its entire deli meat case when they get a new shipment in and put everything they have already, regardless of expiry, on yellow sticker for at least 1/3 off at regular intervals. My freezer is packed with sliced prepackaged deli meats right now.
Sep 30, 2001
29472 posts
8955 upvotes
Toronto
i just stick with pre-packaged Maple Leaf Natural Selections shaved turkey. It's not as thin as I would like, but the taste agrees with me.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18075 posts
12792 upvotes
Markham
You first have to differentiate that all deli counters are not all the same. Good turnover is a good thing for deli counters. Packaged from same manufacturer,type meat are the same, the only difference is expiry.

The good thing about deli is you can order more variety and smaller qty, customize different thicknesses, and thus get more variety. They will also give you a taste/spice to try before you buy....pretty good to get 1 free slice when you buy 5 for example LoL.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18075 posts
12792 upvotes
Markham
OP... If you've never had it, buy a jar of

Muffaletta olive spread/relish/salad to add to your sandwiches. It will make those sandwiches so much more tasty.

I recently bought a jar from Longo's that was recommended to me as really good.

Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12435 posts
2179 upvotes
I've always been kind of intimidated by grocery store deli counters.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
slowtyper wrote: I've always been kind of intimidated by grocery store deli counters.
Don’t blame you. It’s the bane of all introverts.

This is largely why I avoid Starbucks. I feel like an idiot trying to decipher their menu. What she hell is a tall blonde?

I’ll try looking for that olive spread but it sounds very fancy to me. I doubt they carry them at my usual places but I’ll keep it in mind if I ever stop by one of the higher class stores. Would it be with fhe deli sections along with pate and then like?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Don’t blame you. It’s the bane of all introverts.

This is largely why I avoid Starbucks. I feel like an idiot trying to decipher their menu. What she hell is a tall blonde?

I’ll try looking for that olive spread but it sounds very fancy to me. I doubt they carry them at my usual places but I’ll keep it in mind if I ever stop by one of the higher class stores. Would it be with fhe deli sections along with pate and then like?
You could try a tapenade, which is typically crushed olives with capers and sundried tomatoes. Walmart carries a few brands - the Fiorfiore 1 bis only $1.67 this week https://www.walmart.ca/search?q=tapenade&c=10019
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4825 posts
2958 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Supercooled wrote: .... and your favourite.

First off, I'm pretty simple when it comes to deli meats. I don't do the crackers with cheese and mortidella or proscuito thing; just straight sandwiches for me, therefore I'm probably missing out on quite a lot of verities.

Anyway, is there a difference between the freshly cut ones from the packaged ones, in your opinion? Even before Covid, I preferred to buy the packaged.

My go-toes are Genoa salami or some kind of spicy salami / pepperoni thing. and roast beef from Pillars. They usually have a nice deal at Foodbasics for buy 3 get 1 free every few weeks. Throw that in a nice toasted roll, some havarti or provolone and it's heaven.
Buy a ham maker on amazon and make your own deli meat. Stupid easy, and even stupider cheap. You can flavour as desired and leave it plain. ITs how I roll.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ham-Maker-Stainle ... 6549&psc=1
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2581 posts
3671 upvotes
Campesino chorizo. It's great on pizza.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18075 posts
12792 upvotes
Markham

If you go to the European style deli's the deli counter is very busy and probably less intimidating as it's pretty bustling.

https://yummymarket.com/our-stores/

https://starskycanada.com/find-a-store/

https://www.coppas.com/my-store-2/

https://www.highlandfarms.ca/visit-us/

You should be able to find that olive spread at pretty much all regular grocery stores. The Aurora brand is very common.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/aurora-mil ... 0199885708

Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes

It's definitely awkward ordering a tall blonde from a tall blonde....
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29061 posts
14597 upvotes
No Frills wrote: Deli can shave the slices finer, which I like.
This. There are a few packaged shaved deli meats, but they're of very low quality.

lecale wrote: I think if you are getting stuff sliced at the deli counter & someone slices something at the end of its lifespan before your order, it introduces bacteria that makes your product spoil faster.
This is why it's important to visit a deli with high turnover.
I find the stuff in a package lasts longer which is important because I do not go through it that quickly.
This is also due to packaging. Packaged meats are sealed from oxygen which makes them last quite a bit longer than anything that isn't.
Opening a sealed package vs freshly sliced shouldn't have a significant difference in longevity.
restartRFD wrote: It's definitely awkward ordering a tall blonde from a tall blonde....
Where do I sign for a "Full body" latte
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7227 posts
2260 upvotes
0 downvotes
pre-packed, its cheaper and usually lasts me a good 3-4 weeks
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!