Shopping Discussion

Deliveries and security

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 5:32 pm
Tags:

Poll: A harried and heavily accented voice says AMAZON through your condo intercom

• Total votes: 12. You have voted on this poll.
Buzz them in (thieves wouldn't think of pretending to be delivery drivers)

8%
Meet them at the door (waiting for elevators is a good way to meet your neighbors in close quarters during the pandemic)

33%
Ignore their call (your neighbors will buzz them in and they will leave the package in the lobby underneath the "NO PACKAGES" sign)

0%
Write a passphrase on the box (you can pick up the package at the depot when they give up trying to understand your weird request)

8%
Other

50%
[OP]
Jun 11, 2015
481 posts
515 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Deliveries and security

I live in a condo and buy a lot of stuff online. Delivery drivers frequently buzz to get in.

For UPS/CP/Fedex it isn't a problem as I recognize their voices. For Uber or Skip, I expect the delivery so it isn't an issue.

For Amazon and some other couriers, they send out different people every time. These people are usually in a huge rush and many really struggle to communicate (both due to language skills and intercoms). To be clear - I do not blame the delivery drivers for any of this (I'm not a native English speaker either), but it makes it hard for me to get any information out of them beyond the name of the courier.

How do I ensure I'm not buzzing random thieves into my building? Is there some secret I'm missing?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3523 posts
1634 upvotes
Ottawa
Honestly, you're lucky they're buzzing in. I've always heard complaints of delivery drivers leaving packages in the foyer then running off.

Good for you for being security conscious though.
Easiest solution is you tell them to leave it at the foyer and you come down to get it (I'm assuming it's not directly out on the street)

I'm confused on what you mean about them buzzing your neighbours though... no delivery driver in their right mind is going to try calling every person in the building until they can get inside.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15281 posts
20608 upvotes
Vancouver
I voted for Other: Don't order Amazon for home delivery because even in a condo building they may just dump it outside for porch pirates and leave. It happens all the time. Get it sent to an Amazon pickup locker ( @TWELVES you are in Vancouver where there are many) or use Canada Post flex delivery.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
I thought due to covid restrictions many buildings prohibited couriers from entering buildings, no signatures required etc.
Thought they were supposed to call or buzz the client and have them come down to pick up their parcels.
I guess to be safe OP can just tell them he is coming down to pick up the parcel.
If there is no parcel or no courier in view waiting with your parcel or pulling away, you got your answer.
Also though not always accurate, keeping track of your parcel's shipping status online may help you figure out at least who the courier is going to be.
Aug 28, 2019
107 posts
325 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kiraly wrote: I voted for Other: Don't order Amazon for home delivery because even in a condo building they may just dump it outside for porch pirates and leave. It happens all the time. Get it sent to an Amazon pickup locker ( @TWELVES you are in Vancouver where there are many) or use Canada Post flex delivery.
Yup, selecting "ship to post office" guarantees that you don't get Amazon Logistics (or a contractor running with its banner).

Failing that, because especially around Prime Day they've been stingy about "this item doesn't ship to your selected location" whenever a PO is selected as your default, I would ask "who is it for". That one is pretty easy to answer if you're an actual Amazon driver, whereas a wannabe rooftopper or someone much more sinister might struggle to come up with an answer to that at all.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" -Oscar Gamble (1949-2018)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
Riffer wrote: See if the condo has a policy. There are always busy-bodies on the condo board who spend all day thinking those things up :)
They do, but (and I suspect the same is true for many condos) hardly anyone follows it. You're not supposed to buzz anyone in, but there's always Amazon packages left at everyone's door.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5273 posts
3735 upvotes
Vancouver
If you are concern, use flex delivery. It’s actually a good idea to use flex delivery for anything of value due to the simple fact packages often just get dropped off.