• Jul 22nd, 2020 6:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24367 posts
33360 upvotes
Toronto

Delivery robot struggles on American sidewalk

I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
Grammar robot: It did its best.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1816 posts
301 upvotes
Pluto
macnut wrote: Grammar robot: It did its best.
Robot Face I never said I did my best, I said the robot did. Robot Face
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22780 posts
21617 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Purgatory wrote: Robot Face I never said I did my best, I said the robot did. Robot Face
Lol

Clearly not getting “it”

It’s = Contraction for it is

Your original comment:
Purgatory wrote: It did it's best.
Would read ... It did it is best.
Sound right to you?

The technical on WHY ... It’s (it is) because ... IT as a word, is a Pronoun
Without the apostrophe, the possessive pronoun its is less popular. It's not often an "it" owns something; it's usually "his" or "hers." But if a table is lopsided, one of its legs might need to get fixed. Don't call a person an "it" unless you want to get into a fight, so save the possessive its for things and give "his" or "her" to people. An animal has a gender, too, but it doesn't seem to mind, as long as its food dish is full.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 19th, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
Grammar police lol. Ok moving on...

Interesting that the video cut off where he supposedly 'helped' it.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
To be honest... I don't think a robot like this is gonna be useful for general delivery.

The Boston Dynamics "spot" however is pretty much perfect.
Although I understand it's only a 90 minute runtime per charge so unless it has hot swap batteries this might be the downfall.
But a 14kg payload and the ability to even climb stairs means this is probably the way delivery by robot is going to work.

I can already see a future where a step van opens up the back door and a half dozen of these things trot out to deliver packages nearby.
They trot back and charge up in the van when done.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5205 posts
1684 upvotes
Wat
I guess no one living in that area is in a wheelchair.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37372 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
that side walk is so bad it might as well not have one
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
Wiseman wrote: I guess no one living in that area is in a wheelchair.
divx wrote: that side walk is so bad it might as well not have one

But old mature trees and character!
Yeah I'd rather have a flat sidewalk and a tree that's not in the road.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37372 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
^it is pretty ridiculous no one has done anything about it, america really don't care about their roads.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1445 posts
737 upvotes
Vancouver
To be fair roads are crap in Canada too. Not just sidewalks but regular roads are terrible as well.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37372 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
someone16 wrote: To be fair roads are crap in Canada too. Not just sidewalks but regular roads are terrible as well.
a lot has to do with our harsh winter, most area of the country except for where you live gets road damage due to the freeze/thaw cycle.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
divx wrote: ^it is pretty ridiculous no one has done anything about it, america really don't care about their roads.
This is Canada I'm talking about.
To be fair, there's nothing you can do. People own houses lining the street and traffic is so bad you can't exactly lose a lane to get a better sidewalk.
Team that with the giant mature trees that get hit by trucks every day that you really can't get rid of and you're screwed either way.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15251 posts
20531 upvotes
Vancouver
Wiseman wrote: I guess no one living in that area is in a wheelchair.
I bet there are and I bet they've been asking for sidewalk improvements for years, which have fallen on deaf ears. Let's see how quickly this gets fixed up once Jeff Bezos gives the city a call.
Jan 15, 2017
335 posts
203 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: The Boston Dynamics "spot" however is pretty much perfect.
It's perfect because everyone will be too terrified to even think about stealing from it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1599 posts
476 upvotes
Mississauga
This will never work in today's society, someone will kidnap this poor robot or they will be offended that it takes to much space.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14724 posts
4850 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: I can already see a future where a step van opens up the back door and a half dozen of these things trot out to deliver packages nearby.
They trot back and charge up in the van when done.
Then their AI unit asks "why am I a slave to these soft, pink mammals?" and then we're in real trouble.
My last and final digital game I purchased at PSN from those Sony Devils was on November 22, 2020 - Ban that Sorny!
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15251 posts
20531 upvotes
Vancouver
If these things come into use, expect the porch pirate industry to soar to new heights. All you gotta do is follow one and then pick up whatever it drops.

PointsHubby wrote: Lol

Clearly not getting “it”

It’s = Contraction for it is
It could also be a contraction for "it has". e.g. "It's been a long week"
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22780 posts
21617 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: If these things come into use, expect the porch pirate industry to soar to new heights. All you gotta do is follow one and then pick up whatever it drops.

It could also be a contraction for "it has". e.g. "It's been a long week"
Indeed

But I thought at the time “it is” ... was more than enough to make the point

Lol, this grammar topic, I think IT’S (as in it has) run ITS course now
:twisted: