Expired Hot Deals

Dell Boxing Day

Alienware 38 Curved Gaming Monitor - AW3821DW $1399 +12% rakuten cash back

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2022 6:02 pm
43 replies
Newbie
Dec 22, 2008
6 posts
4 upvotes
I've been watching this too, because 38" has been difficult to find in stock, no less on sale. It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but we might be lucky to get any 38" in stock period.

What kind of rebate are you thinking?
Newbie
Jun 12, 2017
50 posts
96 upvotes
Edmonton
For what it's worth, a month ago it was this price +12% Rakuten for a $1232 ATL.
Newbie
Jul 17, 2011
94 posts
81 upvotes
This is an amazing monitor and all a G Sync fanboy needs until Micro LED comes out. Bought it last year for a bit cheaper than this.
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2012
403 posts
469 upvotes
VANCOUVER
updated 12% rakuten cash back for today
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2007
1058 posts
648 upvotes
Monitors should get cheaper next year since tvs are catching up to become the new monitor...
Newbie
Dec 22, 2008
6 posts
4 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: No USB C is a deal breaker for me
Agree, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The question is, are you willing to pay +$800 for USB-C?

That's what I'm toying with...
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3614 posts
1483 upvotes
, ON
topgeardog wrote: Agree, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The question is, are you willing to pay +$800 for USB-C?

That's what I'm toying with...
I want the u4021 one but it is $3200 lol
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2012
403 posts
469 upvotes
VANCOUVER
https://www.amazon.ca/LG-UltraWide-38WP ... 164&sr=8-6

That one has type c and much better screen quality. It is a trade off between high refresh rate + 3 years warranty and better picture quality + 1 year warranty + good speaker + type c

Dell warranty may not be the best but is significantly better than lg. And lg monitor is well known for low build quality ( wobbling standard and cheap material)
Jr. Member
Sep 28, 2010
119 posts
83 upvotes
chongsen wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/LG-UltraWide-38WP ... 164&sr=8-6

That one has type c and much better screen quality. It is a trade off between high refresh rate + 3 years warranty and better picture quality + 1 year warranty + good speaker + type c

Dell warranty may not be the best but is significantly better than lg. And lg monitor is well known for low build quality ( wobbling standard and cheap material)
Not even remotely comparable. 120hz vs 60hz is night and day difference, even if you don't game. If it's just for office use, then 60hz is fine but it's still nice to have the smoothness from 120hz.

I have this Alienware monitor and have been quite happy with it. I use it for work on a Macbook Pro and a Windows Desktop PC. My only gripe with it is there is no built in KVM, so you'll need an extra USB hub to switch devices between computers, which isn't a huge deal because the hub can be found for ~$30. Be warned that you'll need a sturdy monitor arm if you're planning to use one to support the weight of the monitor. If you end up using the built in stand, it has a large foot print because of how far out the feet extend.
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2012
403 posts
469 upvotes
VANCOUVER
korre wrote: Not even remotely comparable. 120hz vs 60hz is night and day difference, even if you don't game. If it's just for office use, then 60hz is fine but it's still nice to have the smoothness from 120hz.

I have this Alienware monitor and have been quite happy with it. I use it for work on a Macbook Pro and a Windows Desktop PC. My only gripe with it is there is no built in KVM, so you'll need an extra USB hub to switch devices between computers, which isn't a huge deal because the hub can be found for ~$30. Be warned that you'll need a sturdy monitor arm if you're planning to use one to support the weight of the monitor. If you end up using the built in stand, it has a large foot print because of how far out the feet extend.
How is your experience with MacBook Pro and high refresh rate screen. I bought an M1 MacBook Pro 16 last month. Safari does not support 120HZ refresh rate which leave the pro motion screen on MacBook PRO 16 useless.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2004
2128 posts
837 upvotes
Ottawa
chongsen wrote: updated 12% rakuten cash back for today
Don't forget the 10% coupon code: 10%OFFMONITOR
yadda, yadda, yadda
Jr. Member
Sep 28, 2010
119 posts
83 upvotes
chongsen wrote: How is your experience with MacBook Pro and high refresh rate screen. I bought an M1 MacBook Pro 16 last month. Safari does not support 120HZ refresh rate which leave the pro motion screen on MacBook PRO 16 useless.
I have a 2019 gen MBP so it's capped out at 75hz.

From what I've read, all of the M1 MBP support 120hz+

120hz was added into Safari last month, but it's a feature toggle and needs to be enabled on a per website basis to enable smooth scrolling. You could just use a different browser.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3629 posts
4917 upvotes
pauldryan wrote: Don't forget the 10% coupon code: 10%OFFMONITOR
10%OFFMONITOR" is valid code, but isn't applicable to any items in your cart.
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2012
403 posts
469 upvotes
VANCOUVER
korre wrote: I have a 2019 gen MBP so it's capped out at 75hz.

From what I've read, all of the M1 MBP support 120hz+

120hz was added into Safari last month, but it's a feature toggle and needs to be enabled on a per website basis to enable smooth scrolling. You could just use a different browser.
Enable on website base.... Is excruciating...
I moved away from chrome a few years ago. Unfortunately there is no Mac version edge.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3614 posts
1483 upvotes
, ON
chongsen wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/LG-UltraWide-38WP ... 164&sr=8-6

That one has type c and much better screen quality. It is a trade off between high refresh rate + 3 years warranty and better picture quality + 1 year warranty + good speaker + type c

Dell warranty may not be the best but is significantly better than lg. And lg monitor is well known for low build quality ( wobbling standard and cheap material)
Can you not buy extended warranty for LG?
Member
Jun 27, 2012
244 posts
157 upvotes
I ordered this on Black Friday, shipping got delayed multiple weeks (BC flooding? Supply chains? Protestors? Idk) so don't expect this to come on time.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3614 posts
1483 upvotes
, ON
korre wrote: Not even remotely comparable. 120hz vs 60hz is night and day difference, even if you don't game. If it's just for office use, then 60hz is fine but it's still nice to have the smoothness from 120hz.

I have this Alienware monitor and have been quite happy with it. I use it for work on a Macbook Pro and a Windows Desktop PC. My only gripe with it is there is no built in KVM, so you'll need an extra USB hub to switch devices between computers, which isn't a huge deal because the hub can be found for ~$30. Be warned that you'll need a sturdy monitor arm if you're planning to use one to support the weight of the monitor. If you end up using the built in stand, it has a large foot print because of how far out the feet extend.
I have 3 laptops I plan to connect to this alienware monitor: macbook air M1 (using usb c to hdmi adapter), lenovo T431(using hdmi), lenovo w541(using Mini DisplayPort to hdmi adapter). The m1 is for video editing hobby and the other two laptops for office spreadsheets works and browsing. Will this monitor auto switch from one laptop to another if I turn on one and turn off the other?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)