Expired Hot Deals

Dell

Alienware m15 Ryzen Edition - 5800H, RTX 3060, 16GB, 512 SDD - $1349.99 - 10% coupon = $1214.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2022 2:36 am
[OP]
Jan 26, 2022
5 posts
129 upvotes

[Dell] Alienware m15 Ryzen Edition - 5800H, RTX 3060, 16GB, 512 SDD - $1349.99 - 10% coupon = $1214.99

Seems like a reasonable deal so I thought I would share :)

Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H (8-Core, 20MB Total Cache, up to 4.4 GHz Max Boost Clock)
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 6GB GDDR6
Display: 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 165Hz 3ms with ComfortView Plus
Hard Drive: 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD
Memory: 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 3200MHz

Seems to be ready to ship too.

$1214.99 after 10% coupon + 2% Rakuten

Alienware m15 Ryzen Edition R5
Thread Summary
Go for Aeroplan estore Rewards 3X = 4-6% back.

Not the specs you're looking for? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best gaming laptops!
85 replies
Oct 13, 2014
332 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
I have the g15 version of this. Pretty decent computer. I think the main difference is the Alienware is thinner? My laptop does run into hiccups but whose doesn’t?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
2403 posts
2006 upvotes
Markham
How are you guys getting Unidays code - I've been getting error saying they cannot issue a code for months.
-------
Thank you
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2071 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
I have the G15 version as well and I'm happy with it.

The 165HZ display is amazing when playing a game like Hearthstone which is heavily impacted by refresh rate (Previously I was @ 30/60FPS and now at 165FPS which is an insane difference in how the game plays).
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2589 posts
629 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
kunamvahees wrote: How are you guys getting Unidays code - I've been getting error saying they cannot issue a code for months.
it's not a unidays code at the moment. it's the dell email sign up

email signup link
Saving money on things I don't need since 2009. thanks RFD

Woodstock, ON
Nov 10, 2020
97 posts
327 upvotes
I bought two in a very similar config for family members during a sale in December. I had some Dell credit and paid roughly $100 less for it (including Rakuten, so around $1100), so I felt Ok ignoring my own advice to not touch this poorly reviewed laptop. I hate it.

It runs way hotter than the competition (so it throttles earlier), the build quality is crappy (it feels very cheaply made), and the fan has what is, to me, a very annoying sound profile. In addition, the Alienware software that controls the power modes is *incredibly* buggy, to the point where many online have lost their "Performance" modes forever, requiring a complete reset of the computer. Micron, too, so OC (not that you would want do it at these temps) is not great.

My advice (which you're are free to ignore) is: do not touch, do not approach, do not consider.

I wish I had had time to inspect them earlier so I could return both, and quite frankly, I would not buy these even priced in the $900 range.
Last edited by jetpackc on Jan 27th, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1033 posts
455 upvotes
Ottawa
jetpackc wrote: I bought two in a very similar config for family members during a sale in December. I had some Dell credit and paid roughly $100 less for it (including Rakuten, so around $1100), so I felt Ok ignoring my own advice to not touch this poorly reviewed laptop. I hate it.

It runs way hotter than the competition (so it throttles earlier), the build quality is crappy (it feels very cheaply made), and the fan has what is, to me, a very annoying sound profile. In addition, the Alienware software that controls the power modes is *incredibly* buggy, to the point where many online have lost their "Performance" modes forever, requiring a complete reset of the computer. Micron, too, so OC (not that you would want do it at these temps) is not great.

My advice (which you're are free to ignore) is: do not touch, do not approach, do not consider.

I wish I had had time to inspect them earlier so I could return both, and quite frankly, I would not buy these even priced in the $900 range.
Thanks for the input. I'm literally about to press the button to buy, as i've been eyeing these, but actually preferred to get a Legion instead. I think i'll heed your warnings, and wait for stock and a good sale for a Legion.
May 9, 2018
38 posts
27 upvotes
Just a reminder Perkopolis also offers a Dell 10% off code.
Nov 10, 2020
97 posts
327 upvotes
jay_w wrote: Thanks for the input. I'm literally about to press the button to buy, as i've been eyeing these, but actually preferred to get a Legion instead. I think i'll heed your warnings, and wait for stock and a good sale for a Legion.
Hi Jay, you're very welcome. I have first-hand experience with the Legion 5 (both 15" and 17"), and I can confirm that they perform (thermal performance, noise), look and feel significantly better.
The same goes for the Legion 7/7i, but that should be expected at their (higher) price point.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1018 posts
583 upvotes
Definitely a good price for this but I'm still sick of these tiny hard drives. We need to normalize prebuilds with multiple drives, 512 for OS, 2TB SSD for games and 6TB for photos, videos, documents, etc.
Nov 19, 2009
160 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
DonV15384 wrote: Just a reminder Perkopolis also offers a Dell 10% off code.
Try Perkopolis code is: ?P28MPZN852QKC
only got - CAD $67.50 off

Items (1)
CAD $1,599.99
Savings (before coupons)

- CAD $250.00
Coupon ?P28MPZN852QKC

|
- CAD $67.50
Delivery
FREE
Subtotal
CAD $1,282.49
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2867 posts
1966 upvotes
jetpackc wrote: I bought two in a very similar config for family members during a sale in December. I had some Dell credit and paid roughly $100 less for it (including Rakuten, so around $1100), so I felt Ok ignoring my own advice to not touch this poorly reviewed laptop. I hate it.

Well written advice. Thank you.
Sep 10, 2012
788 posts
504 upvotes
Saskatoon
diweidi wrote: Try Perkopolis code is: ?P28MPZN852QKC

Items (1)
CAD $1,599.99
Savings (before coupons)

- CAD $250.00
Coupon ?P28MPZN852QKC

|
- CAD $67.50
Delivery
FREE
Subtotal
CAD $1,282.49

I'm wanting to buy an Alienware Aurora R13 and it's 4K. Trying to figure out the best deal as far as ebates, perkopolis codes, newsletter sign up codes and what will stack? I was going to wait until Valentines day as they usually offer 14% ebates but then sometimes the codes won't work at that time? Also, I am a Perkoplois member but the codes it generates for me for Dell only give me 5% off? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Jun 3, 2017
117 posts
40 upvotes

where did you see the poor reviews? Dell website?
Apr 2, 2013
772 posts
817 upvotes
Barrie
While I would agree with the sentiment regarding quality against the Legion 5 Pro or Legion 7, being all magnesium alloy build this Alienware is certainly more premium than the plastic Legion 5. Don't get me wrong, the thermal profile on the Legion 5 is still better but the feel is understandably much less premium. I have had this Alienware M15 R5 (QHD display, CherryMX keyboard and 3070) and it definitely felt premium and the display was absolutely phenomenal (140% sRGB, 99% Adobe RGB/DCI-P3 on that 240 Hz QHD). However, I agree completely with your issues that I shared: the thermals are terrible unless you have fans set to max and then it is super-loud, the secondary keys are not lit so it's actually difficult to see any of the secondary functions, and the Alienware Control Centre is deplorable and hangs often. If you can accept those faults though, or you get one with good thermals then this is an incredibly good laptop. Dell has about the same warranty use as Lenovo (they will sort you out, but it will take months and when they do, it may include better components than when you started - happened with me).
Nov 10, 2020
97 posts
327 upvotes
TheGuard wrote: While I would agree with the sentiment regarding quality against the Legion 5 Pro or Legion 7, being all magnesium alloy build this Alienware is certainly more premium than the plastic Legion 5. Don't get me wrong, the thermal profile on the Legion 5 is still better but the feel is understandably much less premium. I have had this Alienware M15 R5 (QHD display, CherryMX keyboard and 3070) and it definitely felt premium and the display was absolutely phenomenal (140% sRGB, 99% Adobe RGB/DCI-P3 on that 240 Hz QHD). However, I agree completely with your issues that I shared: the thermals are terrible unless you have fans set to max and then it is super-loud, the secondary keys are not lit so it's actually difficult to see any of the secondary functions, and the Alienware Control Centre is deplorable and hangs often. If you can accept those faults though, or you get one with good thermals then this is an incredibly good laptop. Dell has about the same warranty use as Lenovo (they will sort you out, but it will take months and when they do, it may include better components than when you started - happened with me).
Upvoted, just a few things to note:

• Regardless of material, the main thing about the body is the "flex" everywhere, which makes it feel cheap, compared to the Lenovo Legion (despite the material difference).
  • The display on yours is vastly superior to the one in this deal, and both can't be compared! I have the one from this deal, and I consider it, at best, average for a gaming laptop.
  • You can't necessarily "get one with good thermals" and be rid of its awful, innate design problems. If one is lucky, they might get a better pasted, cooler-running laptop - but that difference will likely be 1-2C at best, which is not enough to make a significant difference.

I gain nothing from telling all of you that you should run away from this catastrophe of a laptop, other than a warm fuzzy feeling inside that I'm helping people not to commit the same mistake I did (and deeply regret).
Dec 24, 2011
543 posts
1238 upvotes
East, Canada
jetpackc wrote: Upvoted, just a few things to note:

• Regardless of material, the main thing about the body is the "flex" everywhere, which makes it feel cheap, compared to the Lenovo Legion (despite the material difference).
  • The display on yours is vastly superior to the one in this deal, and both can't be compared! I have the one from this deal, and I consider it, at best, average for a gaming laptop.
  • You can't necessarily "get one with good thermals" and be rid of its awful, innate design problems. If one is lucky, they might get a better pasted, cooler-running laptop - but that difference will likely be 1-2C at best, which is not enough to make a significant difference.

I gain nothing from telling all of you that you should run away from this catastrophe of a laptop, other than a warm fuzzy feeling inside that I'm helping people not to commit the same mistake I did (and deeply regret).
Your critique is appreciated. But for the money this is still a tempting hot deal - alas perhaps too hot, if the thermals are as bad as you describe. 🥵

If anyone has alternatives that come close to this price point or any suggestions one can do to mitigate the heat issues? My finger is on the trigger, for now.
Nov 10, 2020
97 posts
327 upvotes
RaiderX wrote: Your critique is appreciated. But for the money this is still a tempting hot deal - alas perhaps too hot, if the thermals are as bad as you describe. 🥵

If anyone has alternatives that come close to this price point or any suggestions one can do to mitigate the heat issues? My finger is on the trigger, for now.
I laughed, thank you! I would personally recommend waiting for a Lenovo sale/deal, combined with Rakuten, if you can wait a little.
If you can wait a little longer, the new laptop RTX 3070 Ti and RTX 3080 Ti will certainly put pressure on the pricing of existing RTX 3070s and below, likely helping you score a great deal!
May 9, 2018
38 posts
27 upvotes
diweidi wrote: Try Perkopolis code is: ?P28MPZN852QKC

Items (1)
CAD $1,599.99
Savings (before coupons)

- CAD $250.00
Coupon ?P28MPZN852QKC

|
- CAD $67.50
Delivery
FREE
Subtotal
CAD $1,282.49
Apologies, you're right. I generated a code and gave it to a friend so I assumed it was like Unidays and was 10% off.

Sorry again for any disappointment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)