• May 10th, 2021 11:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6931 posts
11534 upvotes
Montreal

[Dell] Amazon Fire HD 8" tablet 64GB $115 + Free shipping

If you are in the market for a tablet, you should consider buying an Amazon Fire tablet.
Arguably, you get a better product for less money because Amazon subsidize their tablets and lock you into the Amazon environment, peppering you with ads and hoping you will buy other services like Amazon music, Kindle books, Amazon Prime Videos, Audible audiobooks, Whole Foods Market, etc.

But you can easily break free of the Amazon environment and turn your tablet into something closer to a regular Android tablet, by using Fire Toolbox to “de-Amazon” it without having to root your tablet. You can remove the Amazon ads, install the Google Play store or others like the Aurora store, etc. You will then be able to install any other app even if it is not part of the Amazon environment like Chrome, etc.

Fire HD 8 64 GB $140 $115 Dell.com

Fire HD 8 (10th and latest generation - released in 2020):
  • 8 inches IPS HD display 1280 x 800 (189 ppi)
  • 2 GHz Quad-core processor
  • 64 GB of storage expandable to 1 TB with a microSD card
  • Battery 4850 mAh
  • USB-C cable and charger included
Previous RFD threads: here here and here
Images
  • Screenshot (1036).png
Last edited by Temporel on May 13th, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1125 posts
2465 upvotes
The problem with amazon tablet is that it feel like a 10 years old tablet
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 25, 2019
2 posts
3 upvotes
I got one of these a few weeks ago. It's perfectly good enough for reading and watching videos. Dont expect it to run any graphically extensive games and it's actually fine for what it is.
Aug 14, 2014
695 posts
608 upvotes
Is the HD 10 worth it over HD 8 tablet? Going to buy one for my mom for youtube mainly
Jan 14, 2008
232 posts
113 upvotes
There is an new updated version of the HD 10 that will be released soon. I'd wait and get that if you can. The HD 10 has a much better screen than then 8 and it noticeably quicker.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14139 posts
4754 upvotes
RFD
mr_eko wrote: There is an new updated version of the HD 10 that will be released soon. I'd wait and get that if you can. The HD 10 has a much better screen than then 8 and it noticeably quicker.
Hopefully Canada gets the new 2021 Fire HD 10 Plus model as well.
Feb 12, 2017
142 posts
174 upvotes
mr_eko wrote: There is an new updated version of the HD 10 that will be released soon. I'd wait and get that if you can. The HD 10 has a much better screen than then 8 and it noticeably quicker.
hd 10 is faster because the cpu is faster and has twice the number of cores.
the latest hd10 has 4 Gb ram vs 3 gb for hd8.

May 25, 2013
14 posts
7 upvotes
Chilliwack
Unfortunately most of the Amazon tablets ,that are cheap, only come with 2gb of ram.

I have the 2013 hdx 7 thor version and it is the same amount of RAM. I've put lineage OS on it so at least now I can play xcloud but it is slow to load between programs.

These definitely need more RAM
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6931 posts
11534 upvotes
Montreal
Esg876 wrote: Is the HD 10 worth it over HD 8 tablet? Going to buy one for my mom for youtube mainly
Sure, there's always something, bigger, faster, better but the Fire HD 10 currently starts at $200 versus this one at $85.
For basic tasks like browsing the Web or watching videos, the Fire HD 8 with 2 GB of RAM is fine.
It's not running Windows...

Also, the Fire HD 8 is less cumbersome than the bigger, heavier Fire HD 10.
Dec 23, 2010
265 posts
246 upvotes
Ottawa
InvaIid wrote: The problem with amazon tablet is that it feel like a 10 years old tablet
I'm inclined to agree, but when you look at how little the Android tablet scene has progressed and how much Fire tablets have improved, it's probably the best deal out there. It feels odd to give such high praise to something that was ridiculed during launch, but the lack of competition has allowed them to catch up at their price point.

They're also popular enough to have a pretty active development community that has led to (unofficial) Lineage support for most models as well as the Toolbox application for the unsupported ones.
Jun 5, 2007
276 posts
110 upvotes
Ottawa
I've had the Fire 8 for a few years now and has been great. Apps still get updated, although it won't let me update Roblox anymore.
Aug 14, 2014
695 posts
608 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Sure, there's always something, bigger, faster, better but the Fire HD 10 currently starts at $200 versus this one at $85.
For basic tasks like browsing the Web or watching videos, the Fire HD 8 with 2 GB of RAM is fine.
It's not running Windows...

Also, the Fire HD 8 is less cumbersome than the bigger, heavier Fire HD 10.
Thanks, decided to just get the HD 8
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5144 posts
5274 upvotes
Vancouver
Pay no attention to people denigrating the performance, it's perfectly adequate and it's $85 for heaven's sake! :rolleyes:

The biggest drawback is that it runs FireOS instead of Android. FireOS is based on Android, and yes you can easily add the Google Play Store (see https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/wind ... 0.3889604/), but that doesn't make it quite fully compatible with Android. Almost all apps will run, but there are some limitations, like Google Cast may not work, or notifications may not work.

As for Staples coupons, go to the megathread to beg: staples-staples-coupons-megathread-389024/4842/
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2424 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
Esg876 wrote: Is the HD 10 worth it over HD 8 tablet? Going to buy one for my mom for youtube mainly
HD 10 that I got for 124.00 plus tax. which is one gen OLDER than my HD 8 which was 45.00 taxes is totally worth that difference to me just for video. I also load tons of movies and tv downloads and it is a great portable device with a 20.00 sd card (try that with a 32 gb applily dabbily device) . Covers are cheap for it that work great as a stand.... The 10 is also fantastic for video chats for my Mom who has one and is in a LTC home.
Feb 28, 2005
323 posts
189 upvotes
Montreal
Late to reply but I bought this for my mom and I'm about to get Google Play Store on it. Thank you for this post.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4750 posts
887 upvotes
SK
We have had 7's (2015) and now the HD 8's (~2019) and with Google services they work great for kids. We even got Google Classroom working on and that helped with the mandatory learning from home weeks. If anyone wants to know how, let me know and I can share steps.
My kids use them for Roblox and Minecraft mostly and seem happy with them.
shopper-X
Apr 5, 2018
286 posts
270 upvotes
Where in Toronto can I get used tablets in decent condition for cheap? All I want is to play some music on my bluetooth speakers
(Except Kijiji and FB Marketplace)
Feb 8, 2011
628 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
i order on May 1st and now delivery shows June 9th so unless you are willing to wait ...its your call.
Lately Dell is train wreck. i dont trust their anything.
Just cancelled their 32" Monitor order..they pissed me off.