[OP]
Oct 19, 2015
997 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver

[Dell] ASUS RT-AC3200 Tri-band 802.11ac router - $271.99

Pro : Pretty decent speed

Con : Power consumption

802.11ac Tri-band 3x3 MIMO 4port gigabit. 2 USB ports.
Review : http://www.legitreviews.com/asus-rt-ac3 ... iew_162252

$128 off MSRP $399

$15 Coupon Code : $15OFF$199+
Remember 2% cashback from eBates

If you're in market for a faster router, this is not a bad deal.
Images
  • Dell_-_David_s_Cart.jpg
13 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2017
400 posts
969 upvotes
This is incredibly misleading savings. It's never 400$. Also, newegg has it at a similar price.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1843 posts
835 upvotes
Scarborough
rEDSpider wrote: no ai mesh support
hard to say since they just rolled out ai mesh this month and is basically testing bugs with the official release..

but according to the ai mesh beta test guide PDF, the RT-AC3200 is in the roadmap with limited support (what ever that means), but probably not in the short term since there's so many bugs at the moment with the whole thing.

2. What models are going to be supported?

RT-AC68U, RT-AC1900P, RT-AC86U will be supported first, and we are planning to
support GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3200 in near future.
Later, RT-AC87U, RT-AC66U series, RT-AC1750, BlueCave, Lyra and DSL-AC68U will join
this family as well.

Notice: For RT-AC87U, early version RT-AC66U (A1), RT-AC3200 will be limited support
with some functions due to chipset vendor limitation.
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
rEDSpider wrote: no ai mesh support
My Ac3100 already has ai mesh support in the latest update
Apr 2, 2015
344 posts
452 upvotes
Siberia
This is an awesome router but being tri band the speeds on wifi will not be anywhere close to a 3100 ,price is still a bit high too. Referbio was selling referbs for $150 a while back.
Oct 20, 2001
816 posts
99 upvotes
Spruce Grove
mcmaxx wrote: My Ac3100 already has ai mesh support in the latest update
Cool, this is the 3200
Images
  • upload.png
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3225 posts
2180 upvotes
Toronto
Wonder if something like this would actually improve my wifi speeds.

I'm on a Bell Home 3000 modem and get 300-400Mbps download test speeds on Fibe Gigabit using my Macbook on wifi, 2 floors away from the router (basement install and my office is on 2nd floor).

What makes something like this worth $200+ to someone like me? I get the additional functionality/security or whatever inherent in having a private router - I used to have a DLink setup with Unblock.us on it etc. but that doesn't work with Bell Fibe services, so...

What's the value proposition? I'd be genuinely interested in having my own router again if it a) improved performance and b) added value through different functionality.

Bell is also renting out wifi mesh network pods now for $5 monthly/set of 4. Perhaps Asus routers working together would offer higher performance in a mesh network, but from everything I've read bandwidth takes a hit in trade for increased coverage.
Oct 14, 2014
498 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto, ON
torontotim wrote: Wonder if something like this would actually improve my wifi speeds.

I'm on a Bell Home 3000 modem and get 300-400Mbps download test speeds on Fibe Gigabit using my Macbook on wifi, 2 floors away from the router (basement install and my office is on 2nd floor).

What makes something like this worth $200+ to someone like me? I get the additional functionality/security or whatever inherent in having a private router - I used to have a DLink setup with Unblock.us on it etc. but that doesn't work with Bell Fibe services, so...

What's the value proposition? I'd be genuinely interested in having my own router again if it a) improved performance and b) added value through different functionality.

Bell is also renting out wifi mesh network pods now for $5 monthly/set of 4. Perhaps Asus routers working together would offer higher performance in a mesh network, but from everything I've read bandwidth takes a hit in trade for increased coverage.
I have this AC3200 router on Bell Fibe Gigabit. I can tell that you will not get any improved speed or performance having this router added. You don't need extra router if the Hub 3000 can cover your whole house, unless you need other specific functionalities.
BTW, my router is on 1st floor and I can get up to 400+Mbps download speed on my Alienware gaming laptop.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3225 posts
2180 upvotes
Toronto
Can I ask the obvious question - why do you have the router? I'm assuming your Home 3000 hub provides good coverage? Maybe I'm lucky in that my skinny Toronto house is 15 feet wide but 4 floors counting the basement. Maybe vertical is better than horizontal for wifi coverage.

I do have the $5 Bell mesh pods on the way, to see if I can improve range to the 3rd floor, but reviews on them are mixed, cutting bandwidth etc. I may choose to only use them to reach the garage in the lane, which I use powerline ethernet and a 2nd router/SSID for now. Only get 10Mbps out there so anything would be an improvement esp if I can stick with one SSID.
Oct 14, 2014
498 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto, ON
torontotim wrote: Can I ask the obvious question - why do you have the router? I'm assuming your Home 3000 hub provides good coverage? Maybe I'm lucky in that my skinny Toronto house is 15 feet wide but 4 floors counting the basement. Maybe vertical is better than horizontal for wifi coverage.

I do have the $5 Bell mesh pods on the way, to see if I can improve range to the 3rd floor, but reviews on them are mixed, cutting bandwidth etc. I may choose to only use them to reach the garage in the lane, which I use powerline ethernet and a 2nd router/SSID for now. Only get 10Mbps out there so anything would be an improvement esp if I can stick with one SSID.
I bought this router three years ago when I was with Rogers. Even myself don't know why I'm still using it after I switch to Bell Hub 3000. I did a little bit test and found that the Hub 3000 has better wifi coverage than the AC3200 especially for 5Ghz channel.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1843 posts
835 upvotes
Scarborough
i also have the Bell 3000 hub and some of my devices have trouble connecting to it (even a laptop). Bell support even added a second band and still the same. have an older Asus ac router around and connected that as an AP and everything runs off that now.
Mar 22, 2005
124 posts
93 upvotes
I've had this router for the last 3 years and it's a really good router. I've been running with Merlin firmware. That said, I think almost anyone would be better off buying the new RT-AC86U. It's newer, cheaper (was recently $230), faster CPU, more powerful signal strength, twice the RAM, and supports AiMesh. Probably the only thing the AC3200 has going for it are two 5 GHZ bands but I'm not sure how many people will benefit from that.