• Dec 15th, 2010 2:34 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 22, 2010
894 posts
76 upvotes

Dell.ca?

How are they? I'm planing on buying something from them and was just wondering if anyone's had any problems with them. I know people have problems with their products all the time but I'm not buying one of their products.
8 replies
Jul 20, 2004
657 posts
28 upvotes
have purchased a monitor and a few other products from them on three different occasions with no issues
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
It probably depends on what you're buying also.

My boyfriend buys all his laptops from Dell. They are always mid to high end and he's had no problems.
I would say that any product can have problems, and low end cheaper ones tend to have more.

I have bought my Alienware desktop 2 years ago from them. I've had lots of problems with it, but tech support was always friendly and helpful. This may have been because i was getting Aliewares techsupport in (sounded like Texas?) the US at least instead of their outsourced techs.

I've also bought a keyboard and mose. No problems. Super fast shipping also. I did buy the Tactx Headset and it broke after several months. I didnt bother returning it because i didnt pay much, so im not sure how smooth their returns are.

So far ive been happy. I dont like the look of their new XPS laptops so I dont think i'll be getting a laptop from dell anytime soon. But they sometimes have good deals on lesser products.

Hope this helped!
Jun 5, 2009
241 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are buying a computer, you will have a good service with Dell Small Business but only an ok to a mediocre one with For Home Dell. The two don't offer the same models but you can usually find similar internal component. Ex XPS 8100 vs Vostro 430.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6548 posts
1176 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Hundreds of RFDers had bought from Dell.ca (thanks to their Days of Deals sale) and it's certainly one of the more trusted online retailer out there, especially if you are buying the regular products and not the laptops/desktops which requires customization.

Some problems people have encountered includes restocking fees, unable to cancel order once it's "released", and inaccurate shipping date estimate. Some people has also complain about off-source CSR's when calling customer service.

But from my own experience, as long as you are sure you want something, not in a rush to get it, and wouldn't be returning it, then it's a great site to buy from.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Aug 30, 2006
729 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Usually they are very decent. Recently, I purchased a pair of headphones from them and they have been delayed for about 2 weeks now, but im in no rush. Must be the holiday season.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
number8888 wrote: Hundreds of RFDers had bought from Dell.ca (thanks to their Days of Deals sale) and it's certainly one of the more trusted online retailer out there, especially if you are buying the regular products and not the laptops/desktops which requires customization.

Some problems people have encountered includes restocking fees, unable to cancel order once it's "released", and inaccurate shipping date estimate. Some people has also complain about off-source CSR's when calling customer service.

But from my own experience, as long as you are sure you want something, not in a rush to get it, and wouldn't be returning it, then it's a great site to buy from.
and don't forget about crappy Purolator. i'd rather see them deal with Canada Post than any other delivery companies
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote: haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Jul 21, 2010
365 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa
If you buy from Home section you will blow your brains out when you need to deal with them. My dad bought a desktop from them and when it had problems he never got it resolved with them. I ended up fixing it myself.

Returning a product is nearly impossible. Took me 1 and a half week just to get the guy to allow me to return a defective studio xps 16 laptop. (Extreme overheating, I couldn't even touch it when it's on.) The guy insisted on repairing a brand new product within the first week, even sent the repair box to my house without my consent. Of course I didn't want to do that, who repairs a brand new product. In the end I got it returned after a long hassle and promising the guy I'd reorder once the money was back on my visa. I never reordered it cause their customer support was THAT BAD. Oh also the customer support was in the Philippines.

On the other hand, I've bought monitors and electronics from the small business section. Always nice to deal with customer support. They're actually located in the US and are able to actually help. Like when they shipped my order to the wrong address, I called in and the guy fixed it immediately and it was at my door steps the next day.

Oh and like mentioned before. Purolator is dumb. Product arrived already and I'm still getting calls reminding me about it being held. This is 2 weeks later, I thought they hold packages for 1 week?