• Jun 17th, 2016 8:32 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8679 posts
1867 upvotes

[Dell] Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Gaming Headset - $49.99 to June 17

Also includes free shipping except for remote locations. Can use to attempt price matching elsewhere.

Note that Direct Canada also has it listed for $46.89 right now but shipping kills the deal.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
14 replies
Jun 27, 2012
873 posts
1679 upvotes
Are these any good?
2010-2020 Contest Winnings = $0
Jun 27, 2013
325 posts
63 upvotes
Markham
Saukrates wrote: Are these any good?
I've had these for exactly a year & 1/2 and these are comfortable and sound great. Not sure what the difference is between the core and the first coulds but I like the 2 difference ear pads (cloth open and pleather for the winter (great isolation)). Except from some fraying in the headphone/mic at the end of the connector, I've had no problems. The mic is great, but could be better. All in all it's good.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
573 upvotes
These have been 47.50 range at direct canada for a while.

i ended up going for the Cloud I Pro @ 69.99 on amazon.

Differences? Inline Mic / volume control, mic+headphone into 1 plug splitter for console/smartphone usage, extra earpads non-leather more breathable, and carrying case / nicer box.

sound quality of headphones and mic quality is identical. Cloud II Pro (or just Cloud II, same thing) is the same as v1 / cloud core, but has a better microphone (slightly) and 7.1 usb sound card. doesnt have as many splitters for older style ports as the core 1s do. if you have a good soundcard go core 1 and save $$ (or cloud core) ... if you want 7.1 usb surround go cloud II

i have a 7 3/8 - 7 1/2 fitted hat size and these fit VERY comfortably.

the hyperx cloud I pro I purchased new from amazon came seemingly open box, but everything was still sealed except for 2 cables. I was going to exchange but they gave me a 35% discount so i kept em. came out around same as cloud core cost for me.
Sep 5, 2006
655 posts
474 upvotes
Calgary
Saukrates wrote: Are these any good?
There's nothing out there that can touch these in the price range. They sound good, fit nicely, and are built surprisingly well and (IMO) they don't look too bad for something that is a "gaming" headset.

I think a lot of gaming-oriented gear is just ugly. I like quite plain looking stuff without flashy colours or logos or flashing LEDs.
Jun 27, 2013
325 posts
63 upvotes
Markham
davidclegg wrote: There's nothing out there that can touch these in the price range. They sound good, fit nicely, and are built surprisingly well and (IMO) they don't look too bad for something that is a "gaming" headset.

I think a lot of gaming-oriented gear is just ugly. I like quite plain looking stuff without flashy colours or logos or flashing LEDs.
exactly.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2001
1029 posts
128 upvotes
Edmonton
do they still come with free R6 Siege?
Jun 27, 2012
873 posts
1679 upvotes
10% cash back from ebates
2010-2020 Contest Winnings = $0
Apr 30, 2015
207 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I have three similar headsets as these. My first was a takstar pro 80, that is the non-rebranded version of these. People were crazy over these at head-fi.
May 20, 2015
16 posts
27 upvotes
Waterloo
I bought two of the original Kingston Cloud headsets almost 2 years ago. At the time they were rebranded QPad QH-90 which I think these are the same. They are well reviewed and apparently use Beyerdynamic components (of which I am a fan of). They do appear to have similar build and construction to the DT990s I have.

I bought them for my kids and took a listen and thought they were actually quite good. We've been happy with them.

I have had issues with one pair twice, in both instances the right channel stopped working, and in both cases Kingston replaced them without any cost (including shipping). Turn around took 2-3 weeks. The warranty is two years.

I've since also bought a pair of the Cloud 2, which adds virtual 7.1 surround sound which also has been good.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3641 posts
846 upvotes
Anyone know if these work well in an noisy environment?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
573 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: Anyone know if these work well in an noisy environment?
pretty good with the leather pads.

i dont hear my tv or outside noise gaming and its pretty loud here with windows open.
Oct 25, 2008
347 posts
143 upvotes
I think to beat the Cloud line of headsets you'd have to move up to like $200~ stuff like Sennheiser G4ME Zero/Ones.

Alternatively, get a set of headphones that you like and get a VModa BoomPro in-line mic (for headphones with detachable cords) or a Mod Mic (for headphones without detachable cords). Still won't beat the price on these though.