Expired Hot Deals

Dell

Dell.ca: Mio Moov 300x GPS (4.3" LCD, Text-to-Speech) $89.99 + Free Shipping (Hot!)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2009 4:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto

[Dell] Dell.ca: Mio Moov 300x GPS (4.3" LCD, Text-to-Speech) $89.99 + Free Shipping (Hot!)

3PM eastern time update: Sold out!

-------------

Quite a few good deals are kind of flying under the radar from Dell.ca lately... but that's why we're here! I just noticed that Dell.ca has the Mio Moov 300x 4.3" GPS with Text-to-Speech for $89.99. That seems like a dirt cheap price to me for a non-refurb 4.3" GPS with text to speech.

A May 2008 review over at GPSLodge.com mentions some concerns about ease of use with the POI menu, but ends by calling the Mio Moov 300 "pretty solid". The review assumes the price is close to the $200 mark though -- something to keep in mind. At under $100, it looks mighty tempting.

There are some interested parties here at the office (Derek, for one). What does everyone else think?

Tidbits from the thread so far (thanks everyone):
- The 300x should have North American maps including Canada
- supports SDHC fine (at least up to 16GB)
- Windows CE based so it should be "customizable"
- should be faster than the very popular Curtis GPS many of you picked up at Canadian Tire
142 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5003 posts
284 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Great upgrade to the 3.5" Curtis that most of us here already have. :) You can also install other GPS software on this unit since it runs on Windows CE.
Aug 31, 2008
673 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary
does not say it has Canada maps. and map version. battery life can be an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5003 posts
284 upvotes
Stoney Creek
funinagg wrote: does not say it has Canada maps. and map version. battery life can be an issue.
You can get free maps from various sources and since this is a car GPS, you would have it plugged in all the time anyways if on a long trip.

edit: looks like it comes with Canadian maps and has a 2.5 hr battery life. http://www.mio.com/ca/en/16126.htm
Aug 20, 2006
290 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
it's very tempting......I remember Dell had this item for the same price a while back.

As the review mentioned....the POI search isn't as convenient as TomTom/Garmin. But for under $100...it's still a good deal.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4373 posts
209 upvotes
Thanks OP. I've been waiting for a solid non-refurb GPS under $100 for a while.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1829 posts
1705 upvotes
Calgary
h00ch wrote: looks like it comes with Canadian maps and has a 2.5 hr battery life. http://www.mio.com/ca/en/16126.htm
This has Full Canadian Maps but only Major Roads of the US, which is a concern if you are not looking to hack it and install other maps. Hence the model 300C, "C" for Canadian version.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
Impossibles wrote: Thanks OP. I've been waiting for a solid non-refurb GPS under $100 for a while.
FTR, recall that they had the Asus 4.3" GPS for $100 during Dell days not too long ago

as for the battery life, most GPSs nowadays come w/ cig. socket adapters to which you can leave it plugged-in/charging while in use
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5438 posts
79 upvotes
Sydney
It has all the features, but there's no refinement. Sometimes you have to shell out a little more green for the user experience. The GPS is going to be a waste of money if you just keep it in the glove compartment because it's too difficult to use.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2008
1307 posts
409 upvotes
Can you modify this GPS like the MIO C520?
Feb 25, 2009
350 posts
264 upvotes
There seems to be a mix up,the OP says in the post its the 300C,but when

you click the DELL link you see the model as the : MOOV300X.The MIO

website has the 300C as the Canadian model.The 300x is most likely the

American model.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5003 posts
284 upvotes
Stoney Creek
taank wrote: Can you modify this GPS like the MIO C520?
Yes! Google is your friend!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5003 posts
284 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Shake_you_Down wrote: There seems to be a mix up,the OP says in the post its the 300C,but when

you click the DELL link you see the model as the : MOOV300X.The MIO

website has the 300C as the Canadian model.The 300x is most likely the

American model.
Looks like this model actually has full maps of both Canada & the US:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/hot- ... rs-678860/
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1377 posts
381 upvotes
Ottawa
ItemFinder wrote: It has all the features, but there's no refinement. Sometimes you have to shell out a little more green for the user experience.
I hope you're not alluding that TomTom and Garmin are "better" and more "user friendly" just because they are more expensive.
One quick glance at iGO8 vs TT or Garmin is enough to show that what was cutting edge 4 years ago is long overdue for an overhaul. The interface and features are just [email protected] on both.

I think this is a very hot price for the Mio...for someone willing to spend 2 hrs to unlock it.
To be or not to be...where is the question?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6651 posts
904 upvotes
Ottawa
How much difference between the MIO 300c and MIO C520 after unlock?
Mar 30, 2006
578 posts
20 upvotes
Nobleton
I have the 300c and use it as my primary GPS with updated maps (it was included when I bought it at staples).

The battery life and lack of bluetooth are the primary drawbacks, but it is fully hackable and otherwise works great. The routing is decent, but not perfect.

I just ordered a second one for my mom, this is a decent price as the Kinghtrider doesn't have TTS and sells for much more than this and they still go for more than this on ebay. Free shipping as well.
Jun 17, 2003
465 posts
73 upvotes
Is there a relaible hacking / unlocking resource somewhere??? I want to know how easy it is to unlock these before actually buying one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)