Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell.ca: Vostro 220s Slim PC w/2.66GHz E7300, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, Vista Basic $399

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2008 1:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto

[Dell] Dell.ca: Vostro 220s Slim PC w/2.66GHz E7300, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, Vista Basic $399

It's been a little while, but Dell.ca is back a solid offer on a desktop system -- a Vostro 220s with Core 2 Duo E7300, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, and Vista Basic for $399.

It is a slim case design, so while it does save space and look nice, you will sacrifice some things like the ability to use full height video cards. Still, it's a solid value. Here are the specs:
  • Genuine Windows Vista
20 replies
Member
May 28, 2005
201 posts
Any opinions on this deal? My current desktop is killing a hard drive about every other week. I think its about time to be replaced.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Depends on the user to be honest. Performance wise, this is a great deal for a compact slim-line PC and if you consider the O/S, its something you really can't build for the budget.

That said, if you just need a home theater, you can currently pickup Acer x1200 for $20 more @ Staples (search the deal). X1200 has a much weaker CPU but is smaller and has a more powerful onboard video card (aka don't need to grab another one) thats good enough for pretty much everything you can throw at it (tested upto 1080p mkv files and worked flawlessly... can't really tell the difference when watching video files from x1200 and my gaming desktop with xfire 4870x2).

So basically if you just need a home theater, grab a x1200. If you want value, this is a better value but don't expect to game hardcore with it. Its more of a hybrid PC for people who watch movies but also might use the PC to do other things that might require a decent CPU. You need to get a dedicated video card (~30) to watch HD files on this machine (at least 1080p, might work fine for 720p).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
203 upvotes
GVRtrader wrote: That said, if you just need a home theater, you can currently pickup Acer x1200 for $20 more @ Staples (search the deal). X1200 has a much weaker CPU but is smaller and has a more powerful onboard video card (aka don't need to grab another one) thats good enough for pretty much everything you can throw at it (tested upto 1080p mkv files and worked flawlessly... can't really tell the difference when watching video files from x1200 and my gaming desktop with xfire 4870x2).
Nope - not only $20 more as Staples has removed the $60 off coupon code from the website (not that it worked online anyhow - but at least you could show webpage to a B+M store).

Can use two $20 off $150 codes to reduce it to $460 though.
ihk wrote: thread is here and it's dead. staples link.
You beat me to it. :)
Newbie
Nov 12, 2007
66 posts
2 upvotes
+$30 for E8400 was better (Vostro200)

But this is not bad
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3147 posts
416 upvotes
Mississauga
is the $30 worth it for going to premium? this is going to be a basic rig for my mother
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2003
1603 posts
139 upvotes
Hampton
No idea why but it will let you add MS Works 9 for free even though it says it will add $30 to the price.
Jr. Member
Jul 15, 2007
168 posts
62 upvotes
The $399 deal is on the Mini tower also I think I like this deal

Thanks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
362 upvotes
Montague wrote: Nope - not only $20 more as Staples has removed the $60 off coupon code from the website (not that it worked online anyhow - but at least you could show webpage to a B+M store).

Can use two $20 off $150 codes to reduce it to $460 though.


You beat me to it. :)
technically spking you could use as many as 3x $20off150's for $60 off, but that's only if you can manage to find 3 unique codes
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3147 posts
416 upvotes
Mississauga
can someone advise what upgrades here are worth the money?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 26, 2006
659 posts
31 upvotes
dreaderus wrote: can someone advise what upgrades here are worth the money?
i have yet to try 720-1080p on onboard graphics, but you can find the hd3450 (pretty good media pc video card) that they have the option to upgrade for cheaper and just install it yourself.

Top