• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 3:26 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2019
374 posts
428 upvotes
ON

Dell Canada - Deceptive Pricing?

Same SKU, first one added to cart from the deals page results in $1029 and searching for the monitor and adding from the product page $999.
Thoughts?
9 replies
Nov 17, 2006
80 posts
73 upvotes
Is that deceptive? Yes. Is it intentional? Probably not. Dell's searching/ordering/payment/fulfillment systems are a dumpster fire. I would be very surprised if Dell had its act together to pull off intentionally deceptive practices like this.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2208 posts
1226 upvotes
Vancouveresque
I don't see how it's deceptive. Neither discount code claims to be the best possible deal, as far as I can see.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14787 posts
6032 upvotes
Ottawa
I agree with Slickdealer, chances are Dell doesn't even know there are different levels of discounts available at any one time from different web pages and promotions. They don't know what the left hand is doing from the right.

Good discounts can be had, but its clearly up to the consumer to play their games with their coupons, links, and sales to find out the lower actual sale price.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
Wow! $1000.00 plus just for a monitor
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3480 upvotes
The NORTH
How is this deceptive the original price on both monitors is the same, the discount codes are different. One lists as a Victoria day the other as a special promo. It's just two different promos on the same monitor.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3857 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
Dell has being like this forever. Depending on the way you get there/add an item sometime you get different prices. Happens with laptops too (and i assume desktops) and the same setup from different pages could have different prices (and i assume desktop too). Nothing new and they dont exactly track every discount code or various portals/sources for adding an item.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1535 posts
52 upvotes
Try checking out Dell US store and you'll see a completely different pricing there too... just priced out XPS 13 laptop in US store with 10% off for email subscription alone (which Dell Canada doesn't even offer, apparently), at $450 less (25% difference) than the same spec'd laptop in Canadian store, even with this $200 off discount they're offering on the Canadian side.

Pays off to have friends in the States for something like this...
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
fantom wrote: Try checking out Dell US store and you'll see a completely different pricing there too... just priced out XPS 13 laptop in US store with 10% off for email subscription alone (which Dell Canada doesn't even offer, apparently), at $450 less (25% difference) than the same spec'd laptop in Canadian store, even with this $200 off discount they're offering on the Canadian side.

Pays off to have friends in the States for something like this...
sometimes yes and sometimes no. What do you do if you need repair services? It's a headache to always have to send it down there, no?
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Sep 24, 2007
23 posts
4 upvotes
Maple Ridge
I have found the same with Dell. It depends on how you link/search to the item.