Computers & Electronics

Dell Canada is Price Gouging

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2020 10:05 am
22 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
3915 posts
2727 upvotes
Kitchener
sheryar wrote: Dell Canada has significantly increased the price of its monitors given the huge demand for monitors thanks to people working from home.

To give an example this used to be a $500 monitor:
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-27 ... ccessories
It's showing up as $1,859.99 for me. That's like 4x as much!
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
6972 posts
8820 upvotes
The NORTH
I am not a Dell fan but they are not gouging, they are just not offering discounts anymore. Everything is back to MSRP.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
Not a problem...go with other brands.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2539 posts
1490 upvotes
Calgary
kr0zet wrote: I am not a Dell fan but they are not gouging, they are just not offering discounts anymore. Everything is back to MSRP.
Best Buy has it regular price for $749 99, so I don't think MSRP is over $1000.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1907 posts
2147 upvotes
At the wholesale level, prices are pretty dynamic and change every day. When I was in the industry, commercial customers would call distribution to check prices and buy from whoever was cheaper even if the difference was less than 1%. So with the drop in the CAD and increased demand from WFH, pricing is probably going up rather than down.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6514 posts
6494 upvotes
sheryar wrote: Dell Canada has significantly increased the price of its monitors given the huge demand for monitors thanks to people working from home.

To give an example this used to be a $500 monitor:
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-27 ... ccessories
Increasing prices due to currency fluctuation and increased demand is not price gouging.... Amazon has dynamic pricing.. is that price gouging too?

Plus, new COVID-19 price gouging laws only apply to essential/medical supplies anyway.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 8, 2019
145 posts
227 upvotes
KanataKG wrote: Increasing prices due to currency fluctuation and increased demand is not price gouging.... Amazon has dynamic pricing.. is that price gouging too?

Plus, new COVID-19 price gouging laws only apply to essential/medical supplies anyway.
Charging $1000 for a monitor they had been selling for $500 is currency fluctuation? I didnt know CAD fell by half in value in the past 2 weeks ...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2991 upvotes
sheryar wrote: Charging $1000 for a monitor they had been selling for $500 is currency fluctuation? I didnt know CAD fell by half in value in the past 2 weeks ...
call them out on this on social media, and watch them fix this quickly.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
4943 posts
1431 upvotes
does it matter?
shabby wrote: Call Doug Ford!
LMAO. I was under impression Dell falls under federal jurisdiction.

by the way OP if it is expensive you dont need to buy expensive monitor. take it or leave Russel Peters.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21000 posts
7338 upvotes
Toronto
jeff1970 wrote: It's showing up as $1,859.99 for me. That's like 4x as much!
Showing up at $1059.99 for me.
Devhux wrote: Best Buy has it regular price for $749 99, so I don't think MSRP is over $1000.
US MSRP is US$799.99, so $1059.99 sounds about right for CAD MSRP.

Best Buy’s “regular” price is often less than original MSRP for many products.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12644 posts
7765 upvotes
Markham
So what exactly "gouge " is defined?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2695 upvotes
sheryar wrote: Dell Canada has significantly increased the price of its monitors given the huge demand for monitors thanks to people working from home.

To give an example this used to be a $500 monitor:
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-27 ... ccessories
The last I checked, Dell is not the only manufacturer of monitors. If you are someone who likes Dell products, pay the retail price or buy a refurbished/used monitor. Seems simple.
Newbie
Mar 22, 2020
97 posts
94 upvotes
smartie wrote: So what exactly "gouge " is defined?

Gouge, overcharge; swindle..

btw, do you speak like Yoda in real life?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12644 posts
7765 upvotes
Markham
LondonBilly wrote: Gouge, overcharge; swindle..

btw, do you speak like Yoda in real life?
I am asking how do you define in this case or other cases it's gouge or not.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15268 posts
6292 upvotes
smartie wrote: I am asking how do you define in this case or other cases it's gouge or not.
Gouge or gouge not, there is no try.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jr. Member
Jan 31, 2008
154 posts
12 upvotes
Barrie
Dell falls under provincial jurisdiction. So you can complain to Consumer Protection Ontario.
Services I love:
VMedia, FreePhoneLine, SkipTheDishes, Simplii Financial, Meridian Credit Union
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21000 posts
7338 upvotes
Toronto
Ardenn wrote: Dell falls under provincial jurisdiction. So you can complain to Consumer Protection Ontario.
As mentioned, the Dell monitor pricing in this thread appears to be regular retail pricing. So, reporting this doesn't make sense unless people want to start calling Dell's MSRP price gouging.

This is part of Dell's regular pricing strategy, not new to this pandemic period. They price peripherals and accessories high, but not outrageously high, and then regularly discount the items for a little while. Then the price goes back up. Rinse and repeat.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12608 posts
3730 upvotes
Why just buy dell? Other deals to be had for other brands.

Top