Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell 15" 4700U - USB-C DP 4K60 + 65W PD - $799.99 ($719.99 Unidays) [$705.59 Unidays/NewAcct+Rk]

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 8:23 pm
Sep 20, 2009
10 posts
2 upvotes
Maybe the wrong place to be asking this but I'm confused about my C: drive available storage. It seemed like the remaining available space was low considering I don't have much on it (~75GB available) so I went into the properties for each folder under the main C: folder and added up their sizes. It ended up being 93GB. So according to the computer, the C: drive is 221GB, all of the folders within it total 93GB but I only have 75GB available. That leaves around 54GB of mystery storage being used that doesn't show up under C: even when including hidden files and folders. Can anyone help me out with why this would be the case and whether there is anything I can do to get that storage back? Even if I deleted everything under the disk cleanup utility I'd only get back less than 2GB.

Thanks
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1671 posts
88 upvotes
Has anyone had issues with the battery after a full drain? After the battery had fully drained on mine the laptop was plugged into charge undisturbed for 2 hours. I figured it would be somewhat charged by then but it wouldn’t even turn on. We left it overnight (8.5 hours) and now it’s only 33%.

Battery seemed to be ok prior to the full drain. During the week it it was mostly plugged in while in use and maybe off charge for 3 hours at a time.
Nov 26, 2014
30 posts
23 upvotes
Milton
mrsolid wrote: Maybe the wrong place to be asking this but I'm confused about my C: drive available storage. It seemed like the remaining available space was low considering I don't have much on it (~75GB available) so I went into the properties for each folder under the main C: folder and added up their sizes. It ended up being 93GB. So according to the computer, the C: drive is 221GB, all of the folders within it total 93GB but I only have 75GB available. That leaves around 54GB of mystery storage being used that doesn't show up under C: even when including hidden files and folders. Can anyone help me out with why this would be the case and whether there is anything I can do to get that storage back? Even if I deleted everything under the disk cleanup utility I'd only get back less than 2GB.

Thanks
From my experience cleaning up this laptop.
[1] There are about 15GB space is used for recovery partition, created by Dell. I assume it's some sort of Windows 10 image/backup if you ever want to factory reset the laptop.
Try this: In windows desktop bottom left, do right click -> Disk Management -> You should see few partition of your HD marked as "Dell Support" (or some sort), totalling about ~15GB as well.
You wont be able to see this partition from Windows 10 File explorer.
Please do not delete any of these partition unless you know what you're doing.

[2] Windows 10 installed after some time in 2019 comes with Reserved Storage concept. Windows 10 block xx GB of your HD to ensure their Windows update file download is successful.
This is not showing again in your File explorer, but if you want to see it: In windows desktop bottom left, do left click and type "Storage Settings" --> Under your C: drive, click on "Show more categories" --> Go to "System & Reserved" --> You'll see some spaced is marked for "Reserved Storage"
So, example: your C:\ drive might says you have 150 GB total, you count all of your file is 100 GB, but if you have 20 GB used for Reserved storage, you'll find Windows telling you is only 30 GB space available.
FYI, for me, Windows 10 reserved 7GB of space, but from what I read online, W10 sometimes grow this reserved space as they want to (which is a bit stupid).
Windows 10 basically tells me "hey, I am reserving/blocking 7GB of your HD for me to use. Dont touch/use it." --> I'd say: "screw this. Let the W10 update failed if needed, but dont take my disk space", so I disabled it.

For [1], I deleted these partitions to reclaim 15 GB during fresh Windows 10 Install. I am fully aware, I wont rely on Dell customer support to factory reset my laptop / not going to return this laptop.
For [2], I disabled Reserved storage setting through Windows Registry Editor, but please be very careful doing anything in Registry editor unless you know what you're doing.
In this link, down below, there are a script to enable/disable reserved storage, under: "Disable Reserved StorageRegistry Hack":
https://www.howtogeek.com/425563/how-to ... indows-10/
I ran the script to disable the reserved storage. (disclaimer: run it at your own risk)
However, Enabling or otherwise disabling “Reserved Storage” won’t result in any immediate changes. You will need to wait until Windows next completes an update (possibly a large update) before seeing any changes.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9767 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal, QC
There's a 6GB for hibernation/hybrid sleep on mine (hiberfil.sys), you could disable that if you really need that space back using powercfg /hibernate off.
There's also a C:\Recovery directory with 5GB of data in it, by default you don't have access to it without editing the permissions.

I suggest if you're not too tech savvy or confortable in reinstalling Windows 10, don't mess with those directories and partitions.
Turning off hibernation is ok however.
Sep 30, 2012
106 posts
13 upvotes
Markham
redflagdealsguy wrote: What's your use case? Business, leisure, home, student?

Do you use many legacy applications, any finicky applications?
Mostly for heavy browsing and some software development. No legacy application usage.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
pankrah1 wrote: Mostly for heavy browsing and some software development. No legacy application usage.
Then this Ryzen laptop is well-suited IMO. Indeed, dollar for dollar, you'll get better performance from this machine than an equivalent mobile Intel CPU. The Ryzen 4500U exchanges punches with the i7 11th Gen Intel CPU, while the Ryzen 4700U trounces all of them.

An easy performance win is to ensure you go dual channel with your RAM, e.g. 2x8GB or 2x16GB SODIMMs. If you're doing heavy browsing I would go with 2x16GB (= 32GB) SODIMMs, but your budget will dictate either way.

This machine is equivalent to 2016 / 2017 dedicated workstation in terms of performance.

You're golden.
Sep 30, 2012
106 posts
13 upvotes
Markham
BobyTT wrote: Delivery date on that lenovo on order placed on 7th is 4th of may :)

Just saying...
Boy that's a looong wait time.
I have an IdeaBook Gen 2 on its way, I had ordered it when the Ryzen 4700U was not on sale.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1957 posts
573 upvotes
Calgary
So I am pretty disappointed and upset today...

Got my laptop, I take it out of the box, I pop off the back and add the 2 sticks of ram, put it back together and nothing is showing up on the screen.

When I press the power button (top right), the keyboard lights up, and nothing on screen, no logo, no boot sequence nothing. I take the new RAM out, and pop back the original RAM and still nothing. I tried taking out the battery and doing the button thing for 30 seconds to remove the flea energy, I tried powering it up with and without battery doing the 30 seconds "press power button" thing in between.

I tried the FN power button to get to diagnostics, nothing.

When keyboard lights are off, the light next to AC Charger goes from white to flashing yellow (I assume charging battery). When keyboard lights are on, stays solid white.

It's like the display is not connected to the motherboard, no flicker, no backlight, nothing.

I am about to pack this up and send it back, anyone have any thoughts before I do?

Pretty gutted gutted to wait 45 days for this thing and for it not to work. I guess I should have booted it up first with old RAM? Maybe? I can't think what else I did wrong here, but that should not affect the screen, it should give me a CMOS error at least if the RAM was not seated in, or something (grasping at straws now)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
MafiaHitman wrote: So I am pretty disappointed and upset today...

Got my laptop, I take it out of the box, I pop off the back and add the 2 sticks of ram, put it back together and nothing is showing up on the screen.

When I press the power button (top right), the keyboard lights up, and nothing on screen, no logo, no boot sequence nothing. I take the new RAM out, and pop back the original RAM and still nothing. I tried taking out the battery and doing the button thing for 30 seconds to remove the flea energy, I tried powering it up with and without battery doing the 30 seconds "press power button" thing in between.

I tried the FN power button to get to diagnostics, nothing.

When keyboard lights are off, the light next to AC Charger goes from white to flashing yellow (I assume charging battery). When keyboard lights are on, stays solid white.

It's like the display is not connected to the motherboard, no flicker, no backlight, nothing.

I am about to pack this up and send it back, anyone have any thoughts before I do?

Pretty gutted gutted to wait 45 days for this thing and for it not to work. I guess I should have booted it up first with old RAM? Maybe? I can't think what else I did wrong here.
Make sure the RAM sticks are seated properly. If they're not, the system may not even post, let alone display anything. They should both clip in place and rest snugly in their SODIMM slots.

It's certainly possible they didn't connect the laptop screen to the motherboard.

You can try booting the system without RAM and see if it posts, it should kick to BIOS or just boot loop.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1957 posts
573 upvotes
Calgary
redflagdealsguy wrote: Make sure the RAM sticks are seated properly. If they're not, the system may not even post, let alone display anything. They should both clip in place and rest snugly in their SODIMM slots.
I made sure the RAM was seated properly both times.

Will try with no RAM I guess, but sure looks like a display issue to me, maybe I will try and trace where it plugs in.
Jul 6, 2010
576 posts
1029 upvotes
Toronto
MafiaHitman wrote: I made sure the RAM was seated properly both times.

Will try with no RAM I guess, but sure looks like a display issue to me, maybe I will try and trace where it plugs in.
Try connecting it to an external monitor.
i am upside down
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1048 posts
330 upvotes
Victoria
MafiaHitman wrote: I am about to pack this up and send it back, anyone have any thoughts before I do?
Did you check which warranty you received when you purchased? I know the warranty seemed to fluctuate during the sale period, but I just checked mine and it has onsite service:

"Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis (Consumer Customer)/ Next Business Day Onsite After Remote Diagnosis (Commercial Customer)"

If you have onsite I'm not sure how long it takes to book for Consumer Customer onsite, but it probably is better than return and re-ship.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
MikeyCanuck wrote: Did you check which warranty you received when you purchased? I know the warranty seemed to fluctuate during the sale period, but I just checked mine and it has onsite service:

"Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis (Consumer Customer)/ Next Business Day Onsite After Remote Diagnosis (Commercial Customer)"

If you have onsite I'm not sure how long it takes to book for Consumer Customer onsite, but it probably is better than return and re-ship.
He should have on-site support if it was a deal purchase.

That said, he should return everything to it's factory state, putting the OEM RAM back in place and original SSD if he's changed that.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1957 posts
573 upvotes
Calgary
OK guys, thanks for the help...

I started playing with the connections on the "top side" of the laptop (side the display is on), in specific the one right next to the RAM, which looks like the display connection. and it powered up... not sure if a connection was a little loose or whatnot, or I just let it charge up enough, but glad it's working.

I took the RAM out, put the 2 new sticks of RAM in, and all good.

Bit of a relief, hopefully all good now. Sorry for the panic post, I was just frustrated.

Now I think I will replace the 250GB NVME with a 1TB NMME I have ready, since I don't have the parts to just add it as a #2 drive (and it's faster), and re-install windows and be done hopefully.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17016 posts
18903 upvotes
MafiaHitman wrote: OK guys, thanks for the help...

I started playing with the connections on the "top side" of the laptop (side the display is on), in specific the one right next to the RAM, which looks like the display connection. and it powered up... not sure if a connection was a little loose or whatnot, or I just let it charge up enough, but glad it's working.

I took the RAM out, put the 2 new sticks of RAM in, and all good.

Bit of a relief, hopefully all good now. Sorry for the panic post, I was just frustrated.

Now I think I will replace the 250GB NVME with a 1TB NMME I have ready, since I don't have the parts to just add it as a #2 drive (and it's faster), and re-install windows and be done hopefully.
Nice work.

I'm guessing you're not keen on the solution where you grab one of the battery mount screws and mount the SSD to the 2280 hole. Otherwise, I wish you the best in the wait for your part.

dell-dell-15-4700u-usb-c-dp-4k60-65w-pd ... #p33828707
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1957 posts
573 upvotes
Calgary
redflagdealsguy wrote: Nice work.

I'm guessing you're not keen on the solution where you grab one of the battery mount screws and mount the SSD to the 2280 hole. Otherwise, I wish you the best in the wait for your part.

dell-dell-15-4700u-usb-c-dp-4k60-65w-pd ... #p33828707
I saw that, but figure I would rather just do the work now, replace the 250 with the 1TB in slot #1, and not worry about the parts/screw.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)