Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell 15" 4700U - USB-C DP 4K60 + 65W PD - $799.99 ($719.99 Unidays) [$705.59 Unidays/NewAcct+Rk]

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 8:23 pm
Newbie
Oct 20, 2019
28 posts
12 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: All XMP RAM above 2666Mhz defaults to 2666Mhz because most non-gaming laptops don't support XMP.

You can find non-XMP RAM which runs at 3200Mhz natively, however.
Looked into BIOS and no option to Overclock. Anything else I can look into to up it to 3200Mhz?
Newbie
Mar 8, 2011
45 posts
3 upvotes
Concord
I have 8G just pulled out. PM your offer if interested. Located in Mississauga/Oakville. Thanks
Sr. Member
Sep 1, 2015
579 posts
743 upvotes
I posted it earlier and last year around fall.

"Ensure any RAM you get matches at least this prior to XMP. Also ensure a JEDEC profile reads 3200mhz, 1.2v, CL22 or greater timings. If it only hits 3200mhz from XMP, as this Dell doesn't support it, it might drop the speed down to 2666, or 2400, or 3000 depending on what you bought.

I confirmed back then that the Crucial, Kingston HyperX Impact and G.Skill Ripjaws worked. Back then Corsair Vengeance wasn't there at 3200mhz, but I now see Amazon has the 8gbx2 for 16gb modules at Cl22 and ddr4-3200 for under $120. I believe it also will work."

Did you buy the older crucial memory which is only 2666mhz non-XMP?
Member
Dec 24, 2007
468 posts
135 upvotes
romeoz wrote: Anyone in hamilton want to buy 8gb stock ram? Pm me

Edit: SOLD

What is the Going price for stock 8gb ram? Anyone eles around Hamilton selling stock ram?
Newbie
Oct 20, 2019
28 posts
12 upvotes
Harold91 wrote: I posted it earlier and last year around fall.

"Ensure any RAM you get matches at least this prior to XMP. Also ensure a JEDEC profile reads 3200mhz, 1.2v, CL22 or greater timings. If it only hits 3200mhz from XMP, as this Dell doesn't support it, it might drop the speed down to 2666, or 2400, or 3000 depending on what you bought.

I confirmed back then that the Crucial, Kingston HyperX Impact and G.Skill Ripjaws worked. Back then Corsair Vengeance wasn't there at 3200mhz, but I now see Amazon has the 8gbx2 for 16gb modules at Cl22 and ddr4-3200 for under $120. I believe it also will work."

Did you buy the older crucial memory which is only 2666mhz non-XMP?
Got the 32GB Crucial DDR4-3200 SODIMM 1.35V (2 x 16GB), its dropped down to 2600mhz for me.
Sr. Member
Sep 1, 2015
579 posts
743 upvotes
dchang83 wrote: I got these ones which are for gaming, not sure if that is the issue. I'll need to take a look tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B083W5 ... UTF8&psc=1
This is 100% the issue. The Crucial Ballistix do not run at 3200mhz without XMP. They are also 1.35v. You need RAM that hits 3200mhz Cl22 or greater at 1.2v on the Jedec/PnP without XMP or XMP 2.0.

Your best bet will be to return. If you want high quality RAM, you should look at the Corsair Vengeance or HyperX Impact. Otherwise, return the ballistix and get the Crucial normal system RAM.

I think I still have a new module of unopened HyperX Impact 8gb ddr4-3200mhz Cl20 lying around. Should probably sell it now that I had to return the Dell. The stock RAM is just a basic SK Hynix 1.2v cl22-22-22 if I remember correctly.

If you want performance RAM, I am 100% certain that Corsair Venegeance, HyperX Impact, and G.skill ripjaw all works. Just make sure it is 3200mhz, ddr4, 1.2v etc.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
9767 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal, QC
There would be no performance gains without XMP tho, they all run at CL22 so I'll just get the cheapest DDR4-3200 lol
Sr. Member
Sep 1, 2015
579 posts
743 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: There would be no performance gains without XMP tho, they all run at CL22 so I'll just get the cheapest DDR4-3200 lol
True, but not all RAM is created equally. It still all comes from Samsung, Micron etc. and rebranded, but I've seen cheaper modules fail more often than higher end ones. Plus, can swap out etc. But you're right. Get the cheapest and largest size you can afford.

32gb+ is really overkill for almost everyone but the most power users.
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2010
576 posts
1029 upvotes
Toronto
I just finished chatting with Dell customer support about my Dec 24th order. It took about 10 minutes to get a $50 credit for the long delivery time. :)
i am upside down
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
9767 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Harold91 wrote: True, but not all RAM is created equally. It still all comes from Samsung, Micron etc. and rebranded, but I've seen cheaper modules fail more often than higher end ones. Plus, can swap out etc. But you're right. Get the cheapest and largest size you can afford.

32gb+ is really overkill for almost everyone but the most power users.
Cheapest from a reputable brand that is :)
Newbie
Jan 8, 2019
28 posts
12 upvotes
So the stock RAM is 22 latency but 3200 MHz ?

******PS: Also looking to buy the 8GB stock RAM, if someone interested in selling in York/Mississauga/Oakville/Scarborough/GTA or nearby ****** Thanks
Sr. Member
Sep 1, 2015
579 posts
743 upvotes
BrightDays wrote: So the stock RAM is 22 latency but 3200 MHz ?

******PS: Also looking to buy the 8GB stock RAM, if someone interested in selling in York/Mississauga/Oakville/Scarborough/GTA or nearby ****** Thanks
Yes. It is a basic SK Hynix OEM 8gb ddr4-3200mhz sodimm, with CL22 timings across the board. Any 8gb stick will still give you the dual channel benefits as well. So if you're unable to find a stock stick, look for a cheap crucial, others etc.

I might sell an 8gb HyperX impact stick I have unopened, but would only do locally to BC for like $45-$50. But I would want to ensure whoever installing it has no issues. I tried an opened one I had and it worked no problem. Try and check craigslist or marketplace. My only issue with buying opened RAM is how it was removed and stored.
Member
May 3, 2010
241 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have issues with the headphone jack? I purchased the 1500 back in October 2020 and the headphone jack seems to be broken already.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
9767 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Physically broken or not working? Worked before? Did you install the Realtek audio driver?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)