Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell 15" 4700U - USB-C DP 4K60 + 65W PD - $799.99 ($719.99 Unidays) [$705.59 Unidays/NewAcct+Rk]

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 8:23 pm
Jan 8, 2019
28 posts
12 upvotes
Harold91 wrote: Yes. It is a basic SK Hynix OEM 8gb ddr4-3200mhz sodimm, with CL22 timings across the board. Any 8gb stick will still give you the dual channel benefits as well. So if you're unable to find a stock stick, look for a cheap crucial, others etc.

I might sell an 8gb HyperX impact stick I have unopened, but would only do locally to BC for like $45-$50. But I would want to ensure whoever installing it has no issues. I tried an opened one I had and it worked no problem. Try and check craigslist or marketplace. My only issue with buying opened RAM is how it was removed and stored.
I have a 8 GB but its DDR3, so technically it should work...just now both would be working together at 16GB at DDR3 speed ?
Would there be any noticeable difference for normal work (i am not using it for gaming) ?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2122 posts
1580 upvotes
Waterloo
BrightDays wrote: I have a 8 GB but its DDR3, so technically it should work...just now both would be working together at 16GB at DDR3 speed ?
Would there be any noticeable difference for normal work (i am not using it for gaming) ?
DDR3 sodimm are 204pin while DDR4 sodimm are 260 pin - they are physically different so you cannot mix them on a ddr4 based laptop.
Jan 8, 2019
28 posts
12 upvotes
superfigz wrote: DDR3 sodimm are 204pin while DDR4 sodimm are 260 pin - they are physically different so you cannot mix them on a ddr4 based laptop.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Yes i should have google checked it.

So I could try with any 8GB DDR4 lower latency (CL22) 3200, and even though manufacturers are different, it would work well in dual channel with stock ?
Sep 1, 2015
579 posts
743 upvotes
BrightDays wrote: Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Yes i should have google checked it.

So I could try with any 8GB DDR4 lower latency (CL22) 3200, and even though manufacturers are different, it would work well in dual channel with stock ?
Ideally yes. Sometimes RAM is finicky, but there should be no issues with any 8gb ddr4-3200 CL22 (or better) 1.2v modules you get. DDR3 and DDR4 are too different like someone else said.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9767 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal, QC
BrightDays wrote: Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Yes i should have google checked it.

Yep that is correct
Oct 1, 2020
114 posts
57 upvotes
I have only found 4 places to get RAM: Newegg, Canada Computers, Memory Express, and Amazon.
Any other places I should look?

Obviously spoiled by the BF Sales. Not wanted to pay $90 for 16GB when 32GB was $121 a month ago.
Last edited by BankArsonist on Jan 13th, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 20, 2019
28 posts
12 upvotes
Harold91 wrote: This is 100% the issue. The Crucial Ballistix do not run at 3200mhz without XMP. They are also 1.35v. You need RAM that hits 3200mhz Cl22 or greater at 1.2v on the Jedec/PnP without XMP or XMP 2.0.

Your best bet will be to return. If you want high quality RAM, you should look at the Corsair Vengeance or HyperX Impact. Otherwise, return the ballistix and get the Crucial normal system RAM.

I think I still have a new module of unopened HyperX Impact 8gb ddr4-3200mhz Cl20 lying around. Should probably sell it now that I had to return the Dell. The stock RAM is just a basic SK Hynix 1.2v cl22-22-22 if I remember correctly.

If you want performance RAM, I am 100% certain that Corsair Venegeance, HyperX Impact, and G.skill ripjaw all works. Just make sure it is 3200mhz, ddr4, 1.2v etc.
Thanks @Harold91 I believe when I bought the Kit the regular Crucial sticks were out of stock so I just picked up the next closest things without reading the 'fine print'. I've just initiated a return on Amazon and have re-ordered the regular Crucial sticks 2 x 16 @3200mhz so will test it out on CPU-z when I get them to confirm this was the case.
Oct 20, 2019
28 posts
12 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: Yep, the Reddit post says the Ballistix are not compatible requiring XMP profile support
Thanks @Daijoubu yeah, just read this over my lunch break here and I picked the kit that didn't align! Whole of point of getting Ryzen chips was to maximize the dual channel 3200mhz RAM and built in graphics card.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9767 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal, QC
You could get the Kingston HyperX CL20 but they are a bit pricier
Oct 20, 2019
28 posts
12 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: You could get the Kingston HyperX CL20 but they are a bit pricier
For a $700 dollar laptop that doesn't have a dedicated GPU card, I'll stick with the cheapest stuff I can find. :)
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1280 posts
354 upvotes
Westside
Backlight bleed is really bad on this panel particularly the top left side. I haven't seen anyone else mention this?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1748 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver
Dell customer service is terrible.
Emailed them mid December to cancel my order.
Was told to refuse delivery when it gets shipped and that Dell would contact Purolator to request the package back.

This week, Purolator attempted two deliveries.
Both attempts I told the courier to send it back to sender.
Called Dell yesterday and the rep over the phone has no idea on the status of the return.
Dell also has yet to reply to my email I sent 10 days ago regarding my case #.

Now I get a text letting me know the package is ready for pickup at the Purolator warehouse.

Unacceptable.
Mar 1, 2018
54 posts
25 upvotes
I want to sell my Samsung stock ram 8GB.
SCARBOROUGH, TORONTO, MARKHAM, NORTH YORK, RICHMOND HILL, VAUGHAN
Oct 1, 2020
114 posts
57 upvotes
way2quik wrote: Dell customer service is terrible.
Emailed them mid December to cancel my order.
Was told to refuse delivery when it gets shipped and that Dell would contact Purolator to request the package back.

This week, Purolator attempted two deliveries.
Both attempts I told the courier to send it back to sender.
Called Dell yesterday and the rep over the phone has no idea on the status of the return.
Dell also has yet to reply to my email I sent 10 days ago regarding my case #.

Now I get a text letting me know the package is ready for pickup at the Purolator warehouse.

Unacceptable.
The bolded part is on Purolator. I had the same thing happen to me, and I told the Purolator delivery guy that I was refusing delivery, and it went straight back to Dell.
I would suggest contacting Purolator and use those exact words.
Jul 27, 2014
574 posts
388 upvotes
Montreal, QC
if anyone in montreal wants to buy the stock 8gb stick, hit me up

edit: Got a couple of PMs for the RAM in Montreal, just heads up in case a lot of people start poking me, it's will probably be sold soon ;)
Last edited by fearex on Jan 14th, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 4, 2011
25 posts
48 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Installed 16GB on mine. Anyone in Toronto/Scarborough wants to buy the stock 8GB?
Nov 15, 2017
25 posts
27 upvotes
fearex wrote: if anyone in montreal wants to buy the stock 8gb stick, hit me up
Check your PM, thanks.
Apr 19, 2004
863 posts
301 upvotes
Earth
Anyone have display or video issues? Got ours laptop Jan 2.
Started 5 days later
No extra software installed yet.
Ran Dell driver update tool and says up to date

Glitches every 10 mins or so and sometimes every 3 seconds. Its driving my daughter nuts. See PICS

Happens very fast and looks like a refresh issue. It was only after video tapping it and slowing it down i was able to grab this screen grab
glitch2.png
2021-01-14 20_56_50-Window.png