Expired Hot Deals

Dell

Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2721DGF $369

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 9:00 am
Sep 25, 2009
474 posts
387 upvotes
Amazing deal. I believe this is first time ever 10%+ Rakuten stacked with the base price drop $499. Usually it's one or the other.

Sadly, GPU market is still dead, I don't have anything that can push 1440P at 120FPS anyways. If only PS5 supported 1440P.... this would be a instant buy.
Jun 7, 2019
58 posts
447 upvotes
Canada
Also Rakuten has 15% on Dell for the next 3 days
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1851 posts
871 upvotes
Toronto
panckage wrote: What issues caused you to return the 3 monitors?
1st one had what I can best describe as a smudge/blurry group of pixels in the middle of the screen. Not dead, not stuck - but like the surface of the screen over the area of pixels had been rubbed with a magic eraser or something.

2nd one had horrible backlight bleed in one corner

3rd one had some backlight bleed in another corner and along the top edge

4th one had very minimal bleed and I was prepared to live with it as I didn't want to keep going though the lottery.

And when I say backlight bleed, I am not talking about IPS glow.
Mar 11, 2010
801 posts
163 upvotes
How is the panel for color sensitive work (image editing)? I guess it wouldn't be as good as the Ultrasharp line for that, but is it somewhat acceptable?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2014
1081 posts
740 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jacquesstrap wrote: 1st one had what I can best describe as a smudge/blurry group of pixels in the middle of the screen. Not dead, not stuck - but like the surface of the screen over the area of pixels had been rubbed with a magic eraser or something.

2nd one had horrible backlight bleed in one corner

3rd one had some backlight bleed in another corner and along the top edge

4th one had very minimal bleed and I was prepared to live with it as I didn't want to keep going though the lottery.

And when I say backlight bleed, I am not talking about IPS glow.
OK thanks. I'm not impressed with mine. Motion is very smooth but contrast ratio is much worse my 2011 27“ 1440p budget overclockable Korean monitor (remember those?!)... This gets downvoted whenever I post it so curious if my s2721dgf is bad... Or just normal? It has an annoying white sheen on it (matte filter?)

I still use my Korean monitor for everything but gaming. It is just that much better...

But TBH I think my s2721dgf is probably OK... Looks terrible with brightness all the way up (blacks become white) but I guess it's normal...
Jan 26, 2011
262 posts
234 upvotes
Ajax
xboxrrr wrote: Pretty ideal for XSX.
Bought this monitor for this exact reason. Could not be happier with it…
Dec 9, 2001
701 posts
459 upvotes
Vancouver
FYI, I've had to exchange this monitor 4 times due to multiple dead pixels. Still waiting for my 5th to arrive...
I bought it over a month ago, and I still don't have a decent unit without defects.

It could be a bad batch or something, but I thought I'd let you guys know.
Manufacturer date was May 2021 on all the bad units.
Dec 27, 2008
558 posts
515 upvotes
cjfnba wrote: good price but will wait .....
At this price, it's not the right time to wait honestly :p
Oct 13, 2008
987 posts
670 upvotes
Mississauga
I read on a review site (rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721qs) that it has a mediocre contrast ratio, doesn't get bright enough in HDR and no local dimming. I was planning to buy it but backed off after reading the review.
Telus $30/25gb x 3 lines, 200 LD Can/US minutes, 2000 LD minutes to India, Unlimited CAN-Int'l Text ($0), $10/Talk& Text line - 24 mths
Rogers $46.99 - Legacy Gigabit internet
May 30, 2020
28 posts
9 upvotes
[quote=jadoogar post_id=34918195 time=1630195785 user_id=187099]
I read on a review site (rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721qs) that it has a mediocre contrast ratio, doesn't get bright enough in HDR and no local dimming. I was planning to buy it but backed off after reading the review.
[/quote]

The other drawbacks you mentioned are definitely valid, but I wouldn't hold bad HDR against any monitor because none of them do the HDR spec well. It's unfortunately really only implemented well in high end phones and mid-to-high end TVs.
Sep 23, 2010
734 posts
2678 upvotes
T Dot
quantman wrote: If you play games this monitor is worth the downgrade in resolution and the extra money.

If you don’t, get the 4k. Be aware that people complain about the 4k scaling on Windows making stuff too small.
Agreed about 27 being too small for 4k

I had three different 27 monitors from Dell simultaneous at one point: 4k/60hz, 2721dgf and 1080/240hz all side by side. I have to say the 2721dgf at 1440 was the sweet spot. With the 4k, everything was just too tiny so I had so set Windows to scale everything up 150 or 200%, I can't remember which, but it defeats the purpose of having 4k (for me anyways). The 1080 resolution was way too low and I didn't need 240hz since I have the reaction time of a sloth.

I ended up with dual 2721dgf and couldn't be happier. Great for gaming and and dealing with spreadsheets with wfh now.

I'm tempted to get a third but it's just too wide for me. When I had all three, I was turning my head way too much and it was pretty annoying. If you're thinking about triple 27, keep in mind each one of 60 cm/2' wide. That makes it 6' of monitor to scan and I sit about three feet back. I know I could go vertical with the third but that'd defeat the purpose of having a gaming monitor.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14790 posts
6327 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can a RTX 3060Ti fully utilize this monitor running at 1440p @ 165Hz?
[OP]
Feb 28, 2020
107 posts
143 upvotes
Fully utilize? No. But overall, it's pretty ideal if you are looking to do some gaming.